Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunnyfruit

The Dean of Doom series (companion thread)

My guy’s is taking a breather from hard wads month, which is understandable. I hope he won’t feel like he’s running out of things to say like I do on my first DWMC.

Replayed a few maps. Some random thoughts: 

08: Cliffside Punchout

It's usually a good thing when a conversion with an amazing weapon dedicates a map to it (or a long portion of gameplay in at least one map). That way you have "the definitive [weapon] map" out there somewhere and don't feel you're scrounging through the set for ways to use it. So this one definitely delivers. 

It also doesn't commit so hard to its main motif (punching stuff) that you feel suffocated by what the map wants you to do. At a certain point, the rifle, rocket launcher, and SSG all become more useful, but I still decided to use the fists anyway. When maps trust me to know to choose how to enjoy myself, I try to play along with them. 

This is powerful. 

d5r0EI0.png

The SSG sprite and timing in Rowdy Rudy 2 actually messes me up too(?) I noticed, because the rate the regular SSG fires is sort of baked into me already, and when I look at it I expect that. So my solution? When it's actually very useful, I try to look away from the SSG.

10: Black Gold

I actually really like this map. Maybe in Doom I'm a bottom. The darkness is terrifying and conducive to a real adrenaline rush. Feels like I spend as much time running from archviles in the outer dark ring as actually trying to hose them down. When cybie comes out, it's like, "wow really?" He's never much of a persistent threat, but the theme tends to be latent threats here: I had constant thoughts of "where the fuck is he?" when in one of the other quadrants. As much as circling around is maligned in general in Doom, the outer fight was 3-4 minutes of pure tension. Also really glad this fight doesn't use spectres, which feel so "automatic" in a lot of dark roaming fights but definitely would have been cheap here, not to mention totally unnecessary. 

I think the secrets are odd copouts (the chaingun's unusual brightening effect is actually an oddly balanced 'flashlight') and using the double chainsaw never makes a lot of sense (at least on UV) and the cacodemon variants in the initial fight are actually kind of awkward at times, since they are *mean* in melee range and can easily end up in a spot where you round the corner and inevitably bump into one -- but those are my limited issues with it. 

12: Clearing Inventory 

This map is badass, my favorite of the set and my favorite by the author (which is saying a lot, because he has many good maps and this is maybe the most visually understated). A lot to love here, like the way it seamlessly blends many different elements of design (monsterless narrative to chill combat to devious traps to ridiculous over-the-top fights; from Resurgence-like macro architecture to Doomcute toilets and conference tables with little stories baked in). Like the way progression ends in a circuit where you're back in the first area you fought stuff in, for a big climactic fight foreshadowed with all the ammo visible on the chrome platforms. Like the way it generally channels '90s "basic design" (intended or not) and '90s tropes in some ways...while being obviously masterfully orchestrated. 

I think RJD is very conscious about why each moment works and what it's going for, so it ends up not being a surprise that the experience is constantly fresh. Nothing drags, nothing is "I just did this." Showing that amount of moderation while being excessive and extravagant is actually pretty cool. 

There's things like...lost souls coming out of vents. Fleets of Plutonia monsters all on toilet break. I find it amusing someone or something was playing cards here. 

ZlSMvEz.png

So yeah, really good map. Because of these maps and some others, 08-15 of RR2 was one of my favorite stretches of Doom in all the things I played in 2020. 

Mini Spider Mastermind

...where does it store the chaingun that is clearly bigger than it.

It’s been a while since I played RR2 (I played an early beta version). I remember 01-08 actually being my favourite stretch, I preferred its more chilled-out vibe. 11-15 was pretty enjoyable, but above all what sticks in my mind about that project is the outstanding quality of the dehacked, it adds so much character to the wad.

2 hours ago, rd. said:

10: Black Gold

I actually really like this map. Maybe in Doom I'm a bottom. The darkness is terrifying and conducive to a real adrenaline rush. Feels like I spend as much time running from archviles in the outer dark ring as actually trying to hose them down. When cybie comes out, it's like, "wow really?" He's never much of a persistent threat, but the theme tends to be latent threats here: I had constant thoughts of "where the fuck is he?" when in one of the other quadrants. As much as circling around is maligned in general in Doom, the outer fight was 3-4 minutes of pure tension. Also really glad this fight doesn't use spectres, which feel so "automatic" in a lot of dark roaming fights but definitely would have been cheap here, not to mention totally unnecessary. 

I think the secrets are odd copouts (the chaingun's unusual brightening effect is actually an oddly balanced 'flashlight') and using the double chainsaw never makes a lot of sense (at least on UV) and the cacodemon variants in the initial fight are actually kind of awkward at times, since they are *mean* in melee range and can easily end up in a spot where you round the corner and inevitably bump into one -- but those are my limited issues with it.

same - i thought that map was really fun; it's a shame he didn't like it. though, i can see why it wouldn't be for everyone

He's back at last! Glad to see the Rowdy Rudy WADs get such a glowing review.

That elevator fight in Powertrip Map 12 is an absolute beast on Hard/Hurt Me Plenty, to the point that I plain forgot a lot of the fights that precede it. I spent so much time running into the elevator for the cyberdemon showdown that the whole level became the elevator in my mind. That's a shame, because now that I've been reminded of them, the level is an obvious highlight of the WAD. I'd be interested to get to the elevator battle on Expert/UV. There's probably a very obvious strategy to it on the lower difficulty that I just haven't picked up.

6 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

The new video's up!

Rip Ty

It was a great video, and I'm really glad the Dean made it.

I really need to replay that one. I only remembered the final map while watching. It does look like a very nice tribute to Ty.

I've only played Nova III, but this video really makes me want to try this one out. Maps look pretty cool for the most part, and a lot of the authors in it make awesome maps. 

C+ EHHEHHEH! C+? EHHEHEHE! (go watch A Christmas Story if you don't get it).

In all honestly, that was the grade I expected it to get, which is fine. I completely agree, after all.

Yeah, C+ was what I was expecting too. Hasn't aged well in some aspects, but still fun enough to recommend a playthrough to see that mid-90s mapping.

I was surprised that Fortress of Evil got a failing grade Granted, it's a little bland and pairing it a toned-down Tom Mustaine midu does nothing to enhance the action, but it's not one of TNT's most dull maps.

Man, I wish I had this wad in my collection as a kid. Then I could be nostalgic about it, completely overriding any objectivity (same way I am with MM).

The soundtrack is so prolific that I've heard all the MIDIs numerous times before, despite my deepest experiences with this wad being playing occasionally in cooperative servers years ago. I feel like the Doom universe is made much richer by the existence of Icarus despite its flaws!

I am still hoping one day he covers The scientist 2, The music and theming is charming for an early 2000 megawad and it is sometimes Impressive seeing it's vanilla compatible.

Spoiler

Granted, the final fight is unfair.

and i made Hud reskin for the mod seeing the original didn't changed it

Alternatively Struggle: Antares Legacy, i have heard somewhere that it kind of got outlooked because of Eviternity, but that might be just rumors.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:33 PM, Doomkid said:

Man, I wish I had this wad in my collection as a kid. Then I could be nostalgic about it, completely overriding any objectivity (same way I am with MM).

The soundtrack is so prolific that I've heard all the MIDIs numerous times before, despite my deepest experiences with this wad being playing occasionally in cooperative servers years ago. I feel like the Doom universe is made much richer by the existence of Icarus despite its flaws!

Oh the soundtrack is excellent. It and Eternal Doom have my favorite wad soundtracks, especially from the 90s. Though GothicDM and Memento Mori I & II get close. Mark Klem made some fantastic tracks.

4 hours ago, Redead-ITA said:

Struggle: Antares Legacy

I'm pretty sure it's getting covered eventually. I know he's played it and really, really liked it. Mentioned it a few times.

I've only played Tangerine Nightmare once, nearly 4 years ago, and watching the video I remembered almost all the areas. I need to play it again. I'm glad the Dean thought it was so good, I don't think its talked about enough. How often have WADs gotten an A+?

5 hours ago, Snikle said:

How often have WADs gotten an A+?

Only 4 others apart from this one. Out of 33. This is the second one not made by Skillsaw.

Nice to see a Tangerine Nightmare spotlight! Was definitely one of my 20 favorite wads of 2018 and obscure compared to how good it is (which is starting to get pretty common tbh, there are so many good Doom wads these days). 

I used to be terrified of the last big encounter in map10. Even though hiding in the holes early works like half the time, it is also pretty inconsistent -- and the visage of a cyberdemon waltzing in and finishing you off is nightmare-inducing. 

I think a good consistent approach is something like this (gave myself the weapons and keys to get here).

While the cyberdemons are out, you basically have to hide in the back corner and then occasionally loop to either escape cyberdemons, pull the cacos and deliquents back, or get infighting going. And hiding behind the pillar towards the room's south at a crucial moment allows the top ledge cyberdemon to walk off towards the east and get into better infighting position against the ledge revenants. (Luckily that infighting is consistent once it starts.) 

I'm not sure if there's a way to totally avoid situations where a cyberdemon puts you in a rough spot and you just have to react well, but usually that should only happen once or twice.

For the four archviles at the end, it's thankfully possible to use splash or sightlines to wake them up one by one, although the exact events that happened in this video aren't ideal :P

The absence of any cell weapons in this map is kind of mean lol

It's on my playlist now along with a handful of others once I am good enough at the game.  I really want this style of dean of doom episodes to stick around, It's my favorite episode of the show so far.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:08 PM, Snikle said:

I've only played Tangerine Nightmare once, nearly 4 years ago, and watching the video I remembered almost all the areas. I need to play it again. I'm glad the Dean thought it was so good, I don't think its talked about enough. How often have WADs gotten an A+?

I think only Heartland and Valiant (oh I wonder why) have gotten perfect grades, besides this one.

On 11/1/2021 at 3:45 AM, rd. said:

The absence of any cell weapons in this map is kind of mean lol

That's actually because of the old rules of tangerine nightmare where you weren't allowed to use a weapon like the plasma gun (or BFG). Wilou thus made this map with that set of rules in mind ;)