Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Interesting Note About The Microwave Beam

It essentially turns the plasma rifle into the pulse/link gun from Unreal Tournament. Very cool that id Software brought that alt fire to their game. I wonder what other UT references they put in this beast.ut_image2.jpg.6578037aacf5959d096968120608b744.jpg558149-914986_20040402_004.jpg.222286157de5c3b315113d381674ad4c.jpgvlcsnap-2019-06-06-21h26m37s683-1440x810.png.42973d07976615f388fc336848d4237e.png

Edited by The Strife Commando

That reminds me, i was thinking of parallels between Eternal and Turok and then thought of the sticky grenades being comparable to the explosive arrows, since in 2, they sort of stick and have a short delay before exploding.

Can't wait for the next Doom project to have a shotgun mod/gun with reflecting/bouncing/scattered shells like the Shredder.

I don't think it's a reference to UT. The microwave beam always reminded me of Ghostbusters. In TAG1 it's the weapon to hunt spirits, which is also a Ghostbusters reference. 

I agree that it's probably not a UT reference. It didn't remind me of it, but it definitely would have if the lock on wasn't required and instead just shot the beam out and you could wave it around like you can in UT.

You could as well say it's a reference to the thunderbolt/lightning gun from Quake.

j6oBtT3.jpg

On 8/13/2021 at 4:16 AM, Gez said:

You could as well say it's a reference to the thunderbolt/lightning gun from Quake.

j6oBtT3.jpg

I'm referring to how the plasma rifle has the microwave beam as a secondary, with the primary still being plasma shots.

While I do admit to having some fuzzy nostalgia feelings at first, I do agree with the others about it more leaning towards Ghost Busters than UT, especially with the "Hold in place" function it serves. 

Of course, that isn't to say that they weren't thinking of UT at all. Heck, there are some areas between Eternal, TAG and TAG 2 that kind of scream 'Unreal' to me as well.

EDIT: The first village area and the leadup to it in TAG 2. Tell me no one else was thinking of Na-Pali there...