Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Half Life 2 might make it onto store shelves by the end of this year

According to the original article, by the German gaming magazine, Gamestar.

English-translated version of article can be found at here.

A few of the major points are mentioned in the article:

• Half-Life 2 will be shown at this year's E3
  • the game uses the Quake III engine
  • the sequel will be "darker" than the first game
  • Gordon Freeman is the main character
  • Half-Life 2 will be released this November

Quake 3? Yuck. Well, that has to be a new personal record for me. 6 seconds between hearing about a game for the first time and deciding I will never buy it.

considering what valve did with Quake to make HL, I'm psyched.
There's only one coming release that can touch it. :)
This is BBG waiting in line to pay $55 for DOOM3 Thanksgiving Friday: :|
This is BBG on Saturday: =]

AndrewB said:

Quake 3? Yuck. Well, that has to be a new personal record for me. 6 seconds between hearing about a game for the first time and deciding I will never buy it.

I swear you must make these things up to sound as retarded as humanly possible.

OMG ANDREWB YOU SUCK I HATE YOU YOU FUCKING AASSHOLE DIE AND SHIT BABIES LOLOLOLO

That same article mentions that there will be an NPC helping you throughout the game, a woman. It's probably freezing cold in that underground base, but my guess is she's wearing some kind of prostitute outfit with a wonderbra.

BBG said:

They should have used the Unreal Tech engine (used for UT2k3 / Unreal 2)

Hmmmm, high-poly, FPS-knackering Black Mesa labs with fully terrain-mapped outdoors areas...

*watches as AndrewB hates the idea*

Trasher][ said:
Hmmmm, high-poly, FPS-knackering Black Mesa labs with fully terrain-mapped outdoors areas...

*watches as AndrewB hates the idea*

uhm, who says Black Mesa will be the setting again?

999cop said:

Half-Life 2 will be released this November

That's good news! However, I think that release date should be taken with a grain of salt. Game developers always tend to plan their release dates a bit over-optimistic.

BBG:
They should have used the Unreal Tech engine (used for UT2k3 / Unreal 2)

Hell no. The Quake3 engine is much more stable and optimised, can handle high detailed textures and models just as well, has terrain mapping, detail textures, mirrors and better network code. Everything that would be needed, except Karma tech. But Valve could add that themselves to the engine. Just because they use the same engine as Q3A doesn't mean they have to use the same amount of polygons. The Quake3 engine is capable of rendering beautiful scenes; it's just a matter of adding tons of art.

Although it would be cooler if Valve uses the Doom3 engine and all its lighting effects for Half Life 2.

I'm sure Valve has programmers who are capable to add pixel shading effects to the Quake III codebase, and I'm sure they are planning something along those lines. Half-Life is still the second most important first-person shooter ever, and Half-Life 2 sounds pretty exciting to me.

Im stoked for HL2 I enjoyed it alot especialy since now its going to have a "darker" atmosphear sweet.

This might give me a reason to go and buy Half Life now :P

And the fact that it's the Quake 3 engine (or a derivative of it) should make it pretty fast for most gamers :)

GooberMan said:

uhm, who says Black Mesa will be the setting again?

I was just using that as an example.

And besides, the prospect of smashing a scientist with some alien weapon and watching his body bounce off the wall and crumple to the floor in full physics-engine glory (Karma or Golem, take your pick) sounds like heaps of fun.

But that's just me.

Well, since I've never played the original Half Life (yet, don't laugh), I can't say that this really gets me all that excited. :-/

Half Life 2...? Hmm I geuss if one of my friends buys it, then Ill have them burn me a copy. Shit.... With the comming of DooM 3, Half life seems kinda shot.

I'm not sure if I'd get this one. I didn't really care for the story line of the first game, but the editing capabilities were pretty good.

Trasher][ said:

What black mesa? They blew it up, remember. Nuclear bomb?

fraggle said:

What black mesa? They blew it up, remember. Nuclear bomb?

I think that happens right before you enter Xen, or right before the game starts officially?