Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.66 (Jun 20, 2023)

I need help. Prboom-plus on OpenGl is broken for me. Several maps display all kind of visual glitches. And it's the same whether i use the umapinfo branch, DSDA-Doom or even an older version of PrBoom-Plus. The same glitches. Like, in Map31 of Alien Vendetta once you reach the red area and open the hallway with all the Revenants coming from left and right, both the floor and the ceiling are partially see-through and when activating the menu it glitches through those same gaps as well... There's nothing i can do to change that. Same thing with Map01 of Hell Revealed in the room with the frozen pinkies. The ceiling is glitched.

I did several fresh downloads... Didn't change anything. This can't be normal. I mean it renders those maps pretty much unplayable and i wouldn't be the only complaining then. But everybody is using PrBoom-Plus 2.6um these days so i assume OpenGl rendering works for them. What am i doing wrong???

1 hour ago, Gregor said:

I need help. Prboom-plus on OpenGl is broken for me. Several maps display all kind of visual glitches. And it's the same whether i use the umapinfo branch, DSDA-Doom or even an older version of PrBoom-Plus. The same glitches. Like, in Map31 of Alien Vendetta once you reach the red area and open the hallway with all the Revenants coming from left and right, both the floor and the ceiling are partially see-through and when activating the menu it glitches through those same gaps as well... There's nothing i can do to change that. Same thing with Map01 of Hell Revealed in the room with the frozen pinkies. The ceiling is glitched.

I did several fresh downloads... Didn't change anything. This can't be normal. I mean it renders those maps pretty much unplayable and i wouldn't be the only complaining then. But everybody is using PrBoom-Plus 2.6um these days so i assume OpenGl rendering works for them. What am i doing wrong???

Well, what is needed is the following:

• Which operating system are you using?
  • Which videocard (AMD/Nvidia/Intel) are you using? If you don't know, try this and post what it says.
  • Have you upgraded the video card drivers?

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Well, what is needed is the following:

• Which operating system are you using?
  • Which videocard (AMD/Nvidia/Intel) are you using? If you don't know, try this and post what it says.
  • Have you upgraded the video card drivers?

Okay. I use Win 10 64-bit on a Laptop. Standard Intel HD605 graphics. Drivers are updated. My default port is LZDoom with OpenGL renderer where i never had any glitches like these. Works fine for most wads with no drops except for things like Eviternity where i would switch to PrBoom-plus. I never used GLBoom, just PrBoom-plus but i was hoping to be able to use OpenGL with PrBoom now that PrBoom-um and DSDA have come along.

Alien Vendetta, Map 11 (3rd cave at the beginning):

doom07.png.a38c5cb1a4e3ba6d41891c0dd4333970.png

Alien Vendetta, Map 31 (beginning of "red" area):

doom01.png.0cd624e5cc928e7778e683e3fb68c086.pngdoom03.png.2327e0da2d61e4d3cd6e1f42af94272d.pngdoom04.png.42ce1a531c5664002b27236cf3ad3951.png

Hell Revealed, Map 01:

doom06.png.42b1348609be2c452f5846469f148234.png

Are these HOMs? I found an entry in this same thread on page 34 by @Never_Again where he uploaded a new build that among other things fixed flood HOMs on certain maps for OpenGl mode including HR Map 01. And sure enough, that particular glitch with the ceiling in HR map 01 is fixed in that build. But the ones in Alien Vendetta are all still present in it as well. And those were just the maps i wanted to play yesterday. There are probably more in AV and other pwads. I checked an older version of GLBoom-plus, version 2.5.1.4, and it has all those glitches in it as well. And of course, those same glitches don't happen with LZDoom for me. Is PrBoom's GL mode just that glitched or is something wrong on my end?

@Gregor most of these (if not all) are exploits of software renderer bugs. GZDoom (and LZDoom, as it is based on GZDoom code) does alot of work to emulate those bugs. but PrBoom doesn't, it simply renders what's given to it. technically, those are mapping bugs — mostly self-referencing sectors and other flat floodfill bug exploits. PrBoom simply cannot render it properly. actually, even GZDoom can't, because it's emulation is not perfect (i.e. it doesn't look exactly as in software renderer, but it is close enough).

tl;dr: mapping bugs, for which PrBoom has no workarounds. there's nothing you can do with this.

@Gregor:

• LZDoom recently released a new build.
  • DSDA-Doom (Possibly PrBoom+um too) recently unified the executable to be both software and OpenGL. I know there is a post here detailing how to enable it (cfg or commandline switch) but someone in the know can tell you that.

6 hours ago, ketmar said:

tl;dr: mapping bugs, for which PrBoom has no workarounds. there's nothing you can do with this.

Interesting. So you're saying the OpenGL mode in PrBoom-Plus is simply not recommended for older wads because of glitches like these probably popping up all over.

Apparently they can be fixed though. The dev build @Never_Again posted did fix the HOM present in Map01 of HR. But if i understand you correctly the only way to fix them all is to do so one by one. Then again, isn't that how GZDoom fixed its compatibility issues with certain maps over the years? But i think i get the picture.

Edited by Gregor

13 hours ago, Gregor said:

So you're saying the OpenGL mode in PrBoom-Plus is simply not recommended for older wads because of glitches like these probably popping up all over.

actually, not much wads are abusing those bugs. but most interesting and complex well-known wads prolly do, yeah.

Apparently they can be fixed though.

yes, Boom added official ways to create such things, so most those maps can be upgraded to Boom-compatible and fixed without loosing the desired effects. but not all people will agree with such upgrade. ;-)

But if i understand you correctly the only way to fix them all is to do so one by one. Then again, isn't that how GZDoom fixed its compatibility issues with certain maps over the years?

yet GZDoom fixer (and most such fixers) are limited to changing textures, specials and such. some things cannot be fixed this way, you will need to rework the map a little. but yeah, you're right, the big picture is exactly like this. i think that most advanced sourceports cheating by fixing some known maps on the fly. ;-)

also, i must take back my words about mapping bugs. technically i was right, but mappers did it on purpose, and they knew what they were doing, so it is "mapping tricks", not bugs. ;-)

But if i understand you correctly the only way to fix them all is to do so one by one. Then again, isn't that how GZDoom fixed its compatibility issues with certain maps over the years? But i think i get the picture.

There are two different kinds of issues here:

1. Common rendering tricks. Usually you can detect what the mapper was trying to do and handle it accordingly with some simple heuristics. The result is a generic implementation of a renderer hack, that should work for any map without any extra work.
  2. Extra-tricky tricks that you cannot accurately detect and handle automatically. In these cases, and these cases only, then you need to make a more complex workaround by patching up the map "manually".

I think the render glitches you've posted fall mainly in the first category as far as GZDoom is concerned, but I know there are some maps where the latter approach had to be used. For example there's a trick 3D bridge in BTSX1 MAP01 that GZDoom patches to an actual 3D floor.

On samedi 31 juillet 2021 at 11:24 PM, fabian said:

Nope. Nobody volunteered yet. 

Since the reference implementation was developed by @kraflab on DSDA Doom which is a fork of this port, backporting shouldn't be too hard.

8 hours ago, Gez said:

Since the reference implementation was developed by @kraflab on DSDA Doom which is a fork of this port, backporting shouldn't be too hard.

To be honest, I'm struggling to see the point in updating pr+um anymore (besides maintenance / bug fixing). It feels like Woof and DSDA-Doom fill their own niches / flavors quite well now, whereas pr+um is kind of an "ownerless" port orphan that is being dragged along whenever someone gets a jolt of motivation to do so. It could be harder to port mbf21 to pr+ than it was for Woof, I'm not really sure. For instance, dsda-doom and woof both supported the OPTIONS lump already, whereas prboom+ doesn't support this (and it's a requirement for mbf21). Of course, anyone who wants to do this backporting would have my support, as with any source port author, but it won't be something I work on myself :^)

21 hours ago, Gez said:

For example there's a trick 3D bridge in BTSX1 MAP01 that GZDoom patches to an actual 3D floor. 

Huh, I never knew that, that's a pretty clever approach. Makes me wonder if that can be applied to something like Suspended In Dusk, where a couple of visuals are done through tricks which don't work in GzDoom.

57 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Would it be demo-safe to make A_BruisAttack call A_FaceTarget internally? Referring to this bug.

Nope, unfortunately not. 

Yeah, it'd call P_SubRandom if the target was partially invisible (so a partially-invisible player or a Spectre - at least, I assume for the latter).

Sorry for the newbie question, but how do you make it that both classic HUD (HP, ammo and etc.) and new HUD (Kills and secrets) show up simultaneously like in the picture below? I've tried to fiddle with the settings, but can't get that result.

160967376_prboomhud.png.3242287ea43fc0c497aba2de348ffcf0.png

1 hour ago, unraveler said:

Sorry for the newbie question, but how do you make it that both classic HUD (HP, ammo and etc.) and new HUD (Kills and secrets) show up simultaneously like in the picture below? I've tried to fiddle with the settings, but can't get that result.

This isn't available in 2.6um, yet. You will have to wait for the next release.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:11 AM, Gregor said:

Apparently they can be fixed though. The dev build @Never_Again posted did fix the HOM present in Map01 of HR.

Yes, in the latest development builds I've attempted to address the majority of these types of mapping tricks in the OpenGL renderer. Not all will work, and the solution isn't (and really can't be) quite as sophisticated as what's in GZDoom, but I hope it will suffice for most purposes.

9 hours ago, fabian said:

Do you have Vsync enabled? 

The problem with VSync is that it usually totally fucks up the mouse controls. I guess there's no way to have that not happen.

19 hours ago, deimosSSG said:

@fabian is their any way to cap the frames to any number of choice so my laptop doesn't turn to molten slag?

If you've got a dedicated GPU and don't wanna use vsync you can just cap the frame rate through your Nvidia control panel under the 3D app settings (AMD also I'm sure). 

43 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

The problem with VSync is that it usually totally fucks up the mouse controls. I guess there's no way to have that not happen.

Nah, not in PrBoom+ (or Crispy/Woof/GZDoom for that matter), as far as I can tell.

I accidentally deleted my PrBoom+ folder and had to reinstall.

There was a really useful menu to switch between IWADs and WADs, but I can't get it to come back.

Help!

32 minutes ago, giwake said:

I accidentally deleted my PrBoom+ folder and had to reinstall.

There was a really useful menu to switch between IWADs and WADs, but I can't get it to come back.

Help!

Look for an option called "Use In-Game Launcher" (launcher_enable in the config file).

On 8/15/2021 at 2:46 AM, fabian said:

Do you have Vsync enabled? 

i have vsync off, i get a choppy performance with it enabled, but with it disabled, i get over 600 fps which my IGPU doesnt seem to like very much lol

On 8/15/2021 at 1:03 PM, Mike Stu said:

If you've got a dedicated GPU and don't wanna use vsync you can just cap the frame rate through your Nvidia control panel under the 3D app settings (AMD also I'm sure). 

Nah, not in PrBoom+ (or Crispy/Woof/GZDoom for that matter), as far as I can tell.

sadly its integrated since im on a new gen laptop with an 11th gen i5, with the iris XE gfx processor, i only have this temperature problem on prboom+ with uncapped frames, capped frames doesnt heat up my processor at all, staying at a stable 45c 

On 8/16/2021 at 8:07 AM, fabian said:

The latest version 2.6.1um of the PrBoom+ fork, ne official continuation, with UMAPINFO support has been released on August 16, 2021.

Source tarballs and the (massive!) changelog can be found here:

https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/releases/tag/v2.6.1um

Windows 32-bit binaries are available here:

https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/releases/download/v2.6.1um/prboom-plus-261um-w32.zip

Thanks for this and for all of your hard work!

Is there a way to pre-select the complevel in the built in launcher? It would also be amazing if you could set up and save .ini files for each arrangement of WAD / DEH / Complevel. I know there is a 'history' section, but something more permanent would be great. 

Thanks again!

8 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

Thanks for this and for all of your hard work!

Is there a way to pre-select the complevel in the built in launcher? It would also be amazing if you could set up and save .ini files for each arrangement of WAD / DEH / Complevel. I know there is a 'history' section, but something more permanent would be great. 

Thanks again!

for something like that you better use batch files or an external launcher.
thats what most people do already.

3 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

for something like that you better use batch files or an external launcher.
thats what most people do already.

I'm trying to use this one: 

In previous versions of the UMAPINFO fork the launcher has had no problems loading in wads like the sprite fixing project and accompanying DEH file. However, it seems that the latest version of UMAPINFO doesn't seem to like launcher above. For instance, the sprite fixing project is never properly implemented when loading the latest UMAPINFO versions with this launcher - I get issues like the sprite glitch when firing the SSG:

image.png.c84dada11e4ec651be1215213d33b6b6.png