Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

Old video games selling for high prices | you may be sitting on a goldmine

https://7news.com.au/entertainment/check-your-nintendo-pile-retro-video-games-selling-for-millions-at-auction-c-3709273

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/most-expensive-video-games/index.html

Old unopened Nintendo games this past month have been selling for millions of dollars. Mario from 1985 sold for 2 mil USD, Mario 64 sold for 1.5 mil USD, and Legend of Zelda sold for over 800,000. Not every old game is worth a lot of money, but if it is unopened and almost in perfect condition, it can sell for a lot of cash. if you collect old videogames, search up its value, as you may just be sitting on hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

What do you think about these games selling for so much?

I think there are a shitload of Chinese copies being made that look completely legitimate. Cases, covers, manuals, boxes, and shrink wrapped. The problem is that if it's shrink wrapped, which is easy to do, if you open it up to look at the contents, it's no longer new.

I sold my loose case Chrono Trigger a few years ago, and the guy actually opened up the cartridge and looked at the soldering inside, because they're faked that much. If it's clean soldering, it's probably genuine, if it's messy, it's probably a Chinese repro.

And honestly, who the hell has an unopened box with Super Mario Bros? That's some fortune teller luck if you decided to save one.

@Karl Jobst is doing a video on this. It's money laundering and super fradulent. No, your copy of Zelda II isn't actually a million bucks you nerds. 

Edited by Mr. Freeze

The rarest game I owned was Phantasy Star Online 1&2 for GameCube. I just traded it and all my other GCN stuff (except Twin Snakes) for a launch model PS3 and like 20 games. On paper I got the worse deal, but the PS3 is making me happier.

This is why im buying nes and super nintendo games, because I am sure that in some time I won't be able to afford some games :/

Chrono Trigger is rising a lot in price, it's the retro game I want the most.

17 minutes ago, El juancho said:

This is why im buying nes and super nintendo games, because I am sure that in some time I won't be able to afford some games :/

Chrono Trigger is rising a lot in price, it's the retro game I want the most.

I bought Demon's Crest for $10, sold it a few years ago for $130 on Amazon. Vintage games are a hot market if you have anything sitting around. 

I loved Demon's Crest, but there are other ways to play it without digging out my SNES, my old 60 pound CRT tv and hooking them up.

I remember when nobody cared about these old games and systems, and you could find a lot of things for super cheap everywhere except for what was truly rare. Now it’s insane prices for everything even the shitty games- YES, THE SHITTY GAMES TOO! Emulation is better and I don’t care about the arguments against it any longer, and trust me I did for decades.

Yes, I too was once one of those annoying people who would always spew the same regurgitated crap for why real hardware is better or it’s not morally nice to “pirate” old games when you can own the physical thing. If you’re smart, none of that matters now. Save your money, sanity, and living space. If you don’t already have a physical collection pre COVID then do not bother right now. Figure out your niche and collect that instead of trying to be a collector of every game and console ever. 

Edited by TelicAx7

30 minutes ago, Coopersville said:

On paper I got the worse deal, but the PS3 is making me happier.

lol on whose paper? I like watching videos of launch model PS3s getting recapped, unicorns that they are.

I guess you can get one (presumably working) for a few hundred bucks but idk how it's still that low.

The fact that theoretically you could own a launch PS3 and a PS5 and play every PlayStation game is crazy to me.

I have some Super Nintendo Games they sell for insane Prices.

To buy Super Metroid lose for 50 € was high enough for me two Years ago, but i had to have it (played it on the Wii U), so i am super happy that i have Games as Turtles in Time from my Youth.

Pirates of Dark Water is listed somewhere between 100-300 € on ebay.

It has a pretty good Soundtrack, Artwork and Gameplay is fine (but needs more lives/continues imo), but no Game is worth that much (so i am also glad to have it haha) 10€ back then :) )

I play such insanely Games emulated, on my SD2SNES or now the Mister i've got.

Btw. i love the Super Nintendo :>

I will build a Pyramide somewhere in the Future and when i die, these will be my Belongings in the After World ;D

1 hour ago, DuckReconMajor said:

lol on whose paper? I like watching videos of launch model PS3s getting recapped, unicorns that they are.

I guess you can get one (presumably working) for a few hundred bucks but idk how it's still that low.

The fact that theoretically you could own a launch PS3 and a PS5 and play every PlayStation game is crazy to me.

This one isn't recapped and I traded my GCN stuff assuming I might get three months of use out of the PlayStation then spend more fixing it.

Edited by Coopersville

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

It's money laundering and super fradulent. No, your copy of Zelda II isn't actually a million bucks you nerds. 

No it isn't, but there are enough moron millionaires that are like, "I worked hard for this money, now how can I waste it all?" 

I think this is how Mike Tyson went bankrupt. 

33 minutes ago, Chip said:

"I worked hard for this money, now how can I waste it all?" 

Reminder that some thousands of low-wage workers were exploited and often made work sick so they could make their boss rich so he could pay ridiculous prices on old copies of shitty Nintendo games.

Some days I sympathize with Hatred Guy.

1 hour ago, Chip said:

No it isn't, but there are enough moron millionaires that are like, "I worked hard for this money, now how can I waste it all?"

Auctions are one of the best ways to launder dirty money. Recently laws have been changed to combat this but it's been happening for years.

https://www.artandobject.com/news/how-money-laundering-works-art-world

https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/2019/new-anti-money-laundering-rules-auctioneers-hear-compliance-tips-at-nava-forum/

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/29/business/art-money-laundering-sanctions-senate/index.html

What will you do with 2 million dollars?

A: Several trips around the world

B: Sealed copy of the most sold NES game that you can't even play

Choose wisely

the whole thing is bullshit - undisclosed buyers, people buying "shares" of a game sale, the companies banding together to make the whole thing seem like a valid emerging market - all garbage. afaik the grading company (which doesn't release population counts in a pretty transparent effort to control the flow of information / manipulate the market) and heritage are now closely related, so heritage putting on these huge auctions and selling to anonymous buyers creates demand for more grading (which you pay to have done).

i've been buying retro games for the better part of two decades and have been selling off a lot lately in an effort to pare down the amount of crap in my house - nothing they're doing is reflective of the actual market, but it is affecting it in some seriously ugly ways.

anyways, buy some flashcarts and ODEs if you're a hardware nerd or grab a MiSTer or something. fuck this noise.

Thank God I still have my OG SNES. Maybe when I hit 65 I'll retire a millionaire! 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Thank God I still have my OG SNES. Maybe when I hit 65 I'll retire a millionaire! 

Or you might get $30 on Amazon. One of the two.

I’m a very casual collector, but the most expensive games for NES are the World Championship cartridges. They’re worth between 10 and 20 grand, due to historical significance and sheer rarity.

There are some other rare NES games, like the Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak, which will set you back two grand or so.

These are the REAL prices for some of the rarest games. A gold mine to be sure, but millions, or even hundreds of thousands for something like fucking Mario? Absolute scam to the highest degree. Even one in the original packaging, unopened, would be worth in the thousands, tops.

I cannot fathom SM64 being worth 1.5 million dollars if it was brand new in mint condition and wrapped in gold and unicorn skin. There is no way something like this is legit.

came back to this thread to post just that - i know a lot of people don't want to go digging through text to get the answer and karl tends to get the job done well.

Absolute scam by snakes, the people doing this don't care about videogames in the slightest, they're market prospectors hoping to make a profit on people who don't know better, and then slip out of the racket before this artificial bubble bursts. You've got 'professional' journalists basically shilling for these assholes with clickbait.

If you want to play physical NES or SNES games, get a flashcart for a one time payment, then play all the games you want on them.

The lack of legal options concerning playing old-school games is so frustrating. 

Wanna watch an old movie? Let's use Robocop, my fav movie of all time. If I want to watch it, I can

* Buy it online or in a retail store

* Watch it on my preferred streaming service

* Watch it on Youtube and pay a bit

Now lets use Super Mario 64, my favorite game of all time. If I want to play it I can

* Spend a shitload on a cartridge and console on a 3rd party market like Facebook or Craigslist, with no guarantees  as to it's quality. 

* Call my brother up and see if I can persuade him to ship the N64 and copy of Mario that I gave him to me

* (This space intentionally left blank)

The lack of affordable and intuitive options for retro games is one of the most aggravating things about being a gamer and it feeds into bidder shark parasite fucks like the ones in the video. Thank God I still have my SNES at least!

12 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

The lack of legal options concerning playing old-school games is so frustrating.

always relevant!

Seeing this thread pop up again just kind of depressed me. I had dinner with my Grandmother and my Father about a month ago. When we were eating she mentioned that she might have a few hundred thousand dollars upstairs. She has an old Nintendo system up there!

I said "Is it that N64 with Donkey Kong?" "Yes!" I had to break the bad news to her that it might be worth $100 combined. She didn't like that, so she asked my Dad, who used to be a co-owner of a pawn shop for a decade, if I was wrong. And he said yeah, I would give you maybe $40 for it, and sell it for $75-100.

It's not a unique series of N64, or a special run of Donkey Kong. It's an off the shelf N64, and a loose cartridge of Donkey Kong 64. Admittedly they're worth more than I thought, but I just checked and yeah $130 is probably the most you would get.

I mean the system never got played that much, for the most part it's brand new. But there's no boxes for anything, and that drops the value. Even in the box, an N64 would be between $300-400. The most that could probably be expected is between $100 and $150. Even Donkey Kong 64, brand new and sealed goes for $240. And it makes me sad that these stories keep cropping up; I wonder who exactly they're trying to swindle? Because yes, it seems like pure money laundering.

I hope my Grandma hasn't gotten into a swindle, it seems like her kids keep a decent tab on her, especially my Dad and my Aunt. But giving them hope of some kind of windfall because they have an N64 upstairs... I wish there was a Hell for people like that.

Edited by Jello

Im starting to get into collecting old video games, especially now that I have my own GBA and PS2 (Best Console Evah) and want to get games for it to experience the console. But nowadays the market for retro video games is ludicrous. Ive seen a copy of Silent Hell (PS1) on amazon that was sold for 5k cause it was in mint condition. And then theres scandals like these** which involve people who have not intentions other than to scalp prices and profit off of those who dont know better. Its plain fucking sad tbh.

(Footnote at **: im referring to the scandal mentioned in Karl's video)