Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dusty_Rhodes

What were the first three PWADs you downloaded?

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

I may have good memory, but it isn't that good.

50 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

other than that, I can't remember, its been too long. :)

26 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Can't remember anything after this because it stretches way too long.

Heh, my experiences with Doom have pretty much always mattered maybe too much to me.. Probably to the point where it's a bit of a concern. There are some aspects of my life that I flat-out only remember relative to what "Doom phase" I was in at the time. Yeah....

All my older files are dated only as far 2017 because that's when i got my new pc and transfered all the files to it...

I believe one of the first was Doom 2 the way Id did, since 2013 is more or less the time i started to regain my interest in classic Doom and check out the community creations. I do have quite a bit of random small maps and zdoom mods from around that time as well.

Back in the 90's, I didn't download many wads. My friend, however, gave me his copy of The Lost Episodes of Doom and I borrowed a copy of one the D!Zone CD's he had.

So, if you count that, the first pwads were The Lost Episodes of Doom, and a variety of pwads from one of the D!Zone Collection. I remember Outpost 21 and Pentagram, but there were others, too. I think I also downloaded a pwad that was supposed to be "the hardest map ever" but I don't remember its name and all I remember about the map was looking out a window (the textures were probably either wood or metal) and being attacked by a swarm of a couple dozen revenants. I remember a different friend making the comment, "How could anyone beat this."

I have downloaded more since I came back to the fold in 2016, I don't think I downloaded much* until 2017, and the first three would probably be:

Doomworld Megaproject 2017

Double Impact

Rush

* If you were so inclined, you could add Freedoom to the top of the list, because I do remember downloading that in 2016 when the floppy disks on which I had my original copies of Doom (from 1994) were corrupted, but I had decided that I still wanted to get back into mapping.

Wolfendoom (The Second Encounter): blech

Astrostein(see above)

Yomi:decent-ish

First one anyone's heard of was probably XXXI Cybersky, with Icarus as the first megawad I played. However, I may have played a little of Ultimate Torment and Torture before Icarus.

51 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Heh, my experiences with Doom have pretty much always mattered maybe too much to me.. Probably to the point where it's a bit of a concern. There are some aspects of my life that I flat-out only remember relative to what "Doom phase" I was in at the time. Yeah....

It's kind of funny that back in 199X, it's rare for you to have a computer in China, and more unlikely somebody actually pirated Doom here, so I would consider it's kind of a miracle that I actually first played Doom 2 in 1994.

I remember Memento Mori 2 is because one of my acquaintances  mentioned about that HUD and I actually played it in his house. Then it has been a long time because I basically forgot about Doom completely until somewhere in 200X which I don't even remember, I found out there's a thing called ZDoom and I happy to actually play Doom again, and HR2 kicked my butt.

Then again I forgot about Doom after a while because I wasn't sure I like it or not until 2014 I moved to US and found out more resources about Doom due to I browse more English websites, and I was stick with it until now. Have to say, Internet is a thing where you found a lot of your lost memories.

Hmm, excluding the Skulltag stock maps, I think it was...

Invasion UAC part 4

Alpha/Delta Invasion (for the actual invasion game mode in skulltag at the time)

UDM 3

The first one was definitely Scythe, but I'm not sure about the next 2.

They might have been Violence by AD_79 and Tribute by Zalewa.

(I got into wads around 2015 fyi)

I started playing Doom as a kid in the 90's, but didn't knew about the community until the mid 00's. The first pwads I tried were early zdoom mods like Void, Action Doom, Massmouth 2 and a bunch of Skulltag-related stuff. I don't remember the first megawad I ever played, but I'm almost sure it was Scythe 2 - and I loved it.

Later on I tried the all-time classics, like Memento Mori and Alien Vendetta. Of course, at that point I was already hooked.

Edited by Noiser

its been way to long too remember exactly

but I think one of the first megawads I played was Dimensions Of Time

I don't remember. What I DO remember is that I got them from the Doom Wad Station site.

The very first wad I remember playing was No Rest For The Living on PS3 in 2012, and something flipped in my brain when I got to the courtyard area with the trees in the first map and I suddenly remembered that custom maps were a thing. I had played Doom as a kid and lots of Doom 2 in high school but had never experienced a custom wad until that moment. So I immediately stopped playing, created an account here, downloaded Doom Builder 2 and went ham for several months making maps without having played anything except the official Doom games and part of the first level of NRftL.

Before playing any wads I spent a lot of time messing with assets, putting sunglasses on the mugshot, making gloves black, etc. I even had my gf at the time dress up like Sarah Connor from T2 and took photos of her doing the same poses as Doomguy while holding a toy gun and made terrible looking sprites from that.

Arcadia Demade was the second wad I played after finding the Cacowards section. I picked it because it was listed right under NRftL.

I then found Back to Saturn X after browsing the forum for a while, which really kicked my passion for custom Doom content into high gear.

The first time I looked for pwads, I did it by typing "vanilla" into the idgames search, and came up with Data Center, which was a very fine first choice. It's a set of six easy and considerably creative levels, with interesting visuals and a good narrative. It does have a bunch of Zdoomisms that render some levels impossible to 100%, and in fact I think I had to delete the doom builder cameras from some levels before I could even play it. But it was well worth a try.

I'm not nearly as sure what my second and third wads were, but the second one one was probably terrysux.wad, which is a compilation of non-terry parts of terrywads. So that's something. Vanilla compatible too.

Then I downloaded Mock 2 and installed ZDoom specifically to play it.

Judging by folder timestamps, the first were Hellbound, Scythe, and Deus Vult, along with John Romero's E1M4B and E1M8B, Hell Revealed, Memento Mori, and Memento Mori 2 around the same time. Most of those were the result of seeing Zero-Master's Scythe run on YouTube and looking up what it was, along with the other Compet-N accepted PWADs. I think Scythe was the first PWAD I actually played.

my memory is absolutely horrendous so idk the next two, but i know for a fact that the first wad that i downloaded was (i think) haslams.wad

don't ask why lol

Cyberdreams was one of them and holds a place in my heart; but the other first few pwads didn't really do it for me, nor do I remember them.  I eventually found Scythe and Alien Vendetta though which complete my honorary "first three".

The first was Knee Deep in the DEU, because it came with DEU.

After that, I have no idea.  It was 27 years ago!

I wanna say Aliens TC, Star Wars TC, and of course a few unpublished ones that my friend made, but of course that was a long, long time ago.

While I don't remember exactly the order, I think the first ones I've ever played were...

-2002 A Doom Odyssey

-Death in the ass of the Universe

-Plutonia 2

A special mention is...

-Ultimate Simpsons Doom. I remember playing ALL DOOM iwads with it using Doomsday engine. It was so many years ago and I still don't know why I was so fascinated by it lol

first pwad i played was scythe, and then lunatic and vanguard by skillsaw :D

I played Doom 1 for the first time in the late 90s, but then for some years I was interested in more modern shooters, until in the late 00s I returned to Doom. The first PWADs were:

1) Phobos Anomaly: Reborn. A Doom 1 episode replacement I played directly after having beaten Doom 2, and I found it to be hard but manageable. In retrospective I think it was the perfect start into PWADing, because the difficulty is only slightly above the original games and it has some cool visuals.

2) Helpyourselfish. A single-map PWAD. I considered it hard at that time (above all, because at the start you don't have much ammo and immediately get attacked by chaingunners) and save-scummed through. I would now rank it similarly to the easier Plutonia maps in terms of difficulty, but it helped me to learn techniques to save ammo, like inciting infighting. After this map I paused Dooming for some years and then got back around 2014/15 when my girlfriend started to play it. I played Final Doom first, with many ragequits in Plutonia :)

3) Alien Vendetta. I played it directly after beating Plutonia, and I had no major difficulties. Plutonia and AV taught me to use the BFG, before I almost didn't use it because I didn't understand its workings well.

Sunlust is definitively a jump in difficulty after these classic "not too hard" wads and I wouldn't recommend it directly after Plutonia. My choice would be to play AV or Memento Mori 2 between both, then perhaps Hell Revealed.

Edited by erzboesewicht