Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

It’s great. Online Multiplayer works great too. A lot of maps I’ve never seen before added to the roster! 

OK, so I already found a bug:

g5IZ2QC.jpg

This boyo is inactive. Can't shoot him and he doesn't do anything. Don't care, my weekend is still sorted.

If you're running Linux, and have steam version, make sure to enable proton under steam settings, set it proton experimental, and also set the games settings to use proton experimental under play compatibility mode, too (under the games properties options in your library). It defaults to proton 3.7 despite what you have set in steam main settings, and won't run unless you set it to experimental.

Running perfect and full frame rate for me on FC34 (though I am using kernel 5.14rc6).

The OG Quake for steam has native Linux support, this update though... Gonna need to run it with proton on.

24 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

YES. This is EXACTLY what I wanted out of a quake rerelease! Right down to Quake 64 content. All its missing is the Quake Saturn stuff. Hopefully Quake 2 will follow with the N64 levels and integrated expansions.

Glad I'm not the only one who wants Q2 to get the same treatment. Might have to wait until next year for that though.

Yes, this is epic, gonna try it rigth now!

Play at this moment, every change feels great and don't break the moods like Darkplaces did, but it's also make COOP and Deathmatch really easy.

Best port of Quake, sorry QuakeSpasm.

Edited by D4NUK1

So, not sure if this is a bug or not, but Nightmare difficulty seems to lower your base health to 50. You'll start episodes with 100 health, but then health packs will not restore your health beyond 50. And if you pick up a mega health, your health will slowly tick down to 50.

Oh well, who needs health if you don't plan on getting hurt? Bring on the nightmare, game.

Played a bunch of it (Why the hell did this come out around morning? HOW AM I GOING TO SLEEP?) and its a good solid quality port. I'm so used to shitty remasters and low effort cash grabs that I expected far worse. I have never liked any of Quake's source ports, they all felt either archaic or strange or too deviated, but this feels natural. Even my brother is interested in possibly playing coop with me; since it never came out on consoles past the 64 version and never got a modern relase till now, its mostly a fresh new game for both of us.

Thing I’m most excited for is deathmatch and the new expansion. Never got to experience classic quake deathmatch the way it was intended, and the new expansion just looks like top quality stuff.

Not to look to far into things, but I assume this remaster of Quake is to hype us up for a new Quake game in near future (wonder if a new Quake title will be announced next Quakecon and this just to hold us over?)

I mean, that's just a educated (or uneducated) guess.... but my spidey senses are tingling!

Wait, Quake 64? I thought it was just a lesser port of the original game with a new soundtrack.

And there is a third expansion pack?

Edited by Rudolph

New Quake remaster/port seems pretty great, though I'm having a lot of stutter when looking around no matter what settings I change or if I use vertical refresh in my driver settings. Movement seems unaffected, but looking around is janky. Only issue I'm having so far (beyond splash screen jank, which can be avoided with -skipmovies), so I like it so far!

Anyone know if you can rebind the keys for swapping to specific weapon slots? Can't seem to find a config file digging around in my proton prefix nor any options in the settings. Are we stuck with the default ones + weapon wheel?

well i really liked the trailer and i bough it now i officially own quake and doom 64 i dont have a credit card so i had to buy it using other methods so i guess i wont be playing until next week

Not sure about the console ports, but for PC I don't see autoaim on/off as a toggle option in the settings. So for those that don't know; through console prompt (~), enter sv_aim 1 to disable autoaim. Change it to sv_aim 0 to turn autoaim back on.

Also, sort of expected this, they added 2 DM maps to the base Quake game mode. DM7 and DM8. DM7: The Edge is from the Arcade version of Quake, and is essentially the same map seen in Quake II by the same name. DM8: Acrophobia is from Quake 64, and was a unique DM map found on that version that was based off a canned and unfinished Id map. These are great additions to the base game!

Edited by TelicAx7

22 minutes ago, Maribo said:

Anyone know if you can rebind the keys for swapping to specific weapon slots? Can't seem to find a config file digging around in my proton prefix nor any options in the settings. Are we stuck with the default ones + weapon wheel?

sadly not, i really wish you could

all the rebindable keys:

Spoiler

image.png.6e90f5b21a1cb6ce5604df000d88b8e4.pngimage.png.35c5997739b415b8199ff221978a7c47.png

The audio engine is really weird for me. As soon as multiple sounds are stacked on eachother (especially bass heavy ones like explosions) it starts clipping like crazy and everything sounds very audibly distorted. Just what's going on with the mixing here?

1 minute ago, lazygecko said:

The audio engine is really weird for me. As soon as multiple sounds are stacked on eachother (especially bass heavy ones like explosions) it starts clipping like crazy and everything sounds very audibly distorted. Just what's going on with the mixing here?

Haven't had this but I have had my weapons just stop making any noise when fired, it's very strange.

Sounds like a lot of the same type of bugs encountered when they released the "revitalized" doom ports a couple years back. Sound, controls,options, etc.

They actually corrected most (if not all) of those issues and continue to update and release new content for those ports.

I'd expect the same treatment with this new Quake port here.

so how does it run on a potato? i saw that they put higher minimum specs on the store page was it an error?

I tested for little bit on Xbox Series X(which currently is the x-box one version) and on PC. Both with a controller.

On the Xbox version it feels like the dead zone for the analog is too big. Making aiming harder. On PC it felt noticeably better with the same controller.

I hope there will be an option for dead zone in the future or something

Other than that this feels amazing. So happy to have Quake like this!

edit:

tested the switch version on pro controller. doesn't seem to have that issue. felt great.

Edited by plynthus

3 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

so how does it run on a potato? i saw that they put higher minimum specs on the store page was it an error?

It's because it's need a hardware that can run on Vulkan, but you can play also the old version and they sourceport.

1 minute ago, D4NUK1 said:

It's because it's need a hardware that can run on Vulkan, but you can play also the old version and they sourceport.

oh this sucks can i atleast change the render to something other then vulkan like in doom 64?

17 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

oh this sucks can i atleast change the render to something other then vulkan like in doom 64?

image.png.183363a4d5b77e37307cada015fe9091.png

Ha, insta buy on the Switch.
Don't need a newer Version on PC :P

Played two Rounds online and i was in the Middle Field agains non Switch Players, ha! ;D

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Wait, Quake 64? I thought it was just a lesser port of the original game with a new soundtrack.

And there is a third expansion pack?

Yeah, well, it's free, and it does come with Aubrey Hodges' awesome music and a reasonably decent N64-on-a-CRT-mit-RCA-cables screen filter.

And yeah, for a moment I thought they'd got their hands on Abyss of Pandemonium but it's just the Dimension of the Past episode from 2016. Hey, maybe we'll see AoP show up as one of the curated mods...