Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

The Quack is back, baby! All thanks to our talented friends at Nightdive :^) Well done, guys. It looks beautiful. Curious, will it work similar to the Doom unity port and perhaps feature some officially-sanctioned downloadable maps from the Quake community down the line as well?

2 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

The Quack is back, baby! All thanks to our talented friends at Nightdive :^) Well done, guys. It looks beautiful. Curious, will it work similar to the Doom unity port and perhaps feature some officially-sanctioned downloadable maps from the Quake community down the line as well?

Seems like they have the infrastructure set up to do so, with the way you install the Quake 64 mapset

My Switch version is still downloading but I have the pc version downloaded and I like how easy it is to play with my PowerA Switch Pro Controller (its wired), like the default sensitivity is almost perfect, looking up and down is a little slow but not too slow. I also like how the weapon wheel slows down time like it does in Doom 2016. I only beaten Quake 1 once so far but this remaster feels smooth and has given me more reasons to come back to it. Also I love how saves are now marked with what mission pack/addon was in used I just wish there was a time stamp on them, I did notice one bug with the save menu it seems I was able to make as many new save games so as long as I didnt move the cursor off new save and it seems to have disappear, the list does now have a scroll bar so it looks like each save I made was legit. Not sure if we're meant to have new unlimited saves or a more fixed number like save 10 for example.

*PC

If you want to play custom user maps, it seems it works just fine. Here's what I did:

Within the rerelease folder, open the id1 folder and create a new folder titled "maps". Save the bsp and lit files for user maps here. You can find maps here.

Once you have the maps in your maps folder, run the game and open the console. Type the following:

"map mapname skill x"

replace mapname with the name of the bsp file (you do not need to include the file extension) that you wish to load. replace x with the skill you wish to start the map on as follows:

0 - easy

1 - normal

2 - hard

3 - nightmare

I have tested several and they all ran just fine!

If for some reason the skill setting doesn’t work, run the intro to quake map and go through the difficulty you wish to play, then type the map command. 

Edited by TelicAx7

I want a source port that has both completely vanilla and complete optional overhaul of aesthetics, new high models, textures, sounds, effects, detailed maps, lighting, gore, animation's. Just without effecting the physics, movement, and gameplay.

1 hour ago, Jello said:

So... do the people that bought Quake back in 1996 get a free copy due to our support of iD Software?

Huh, apparently since I also bought it on Steam a few years ago I get all the updates. Neat!

Now it's time to play through Quake again. Thanks Nightdive, you folks are a class act and a half.

4 hours ago, kaleb. said:

sadly not, i really wish you could

all the rebindable keys:

Hide contents

image.png.6e90f5b21a1cb6ce5604df000d88b8e4.pngimage.png.35c5997739b415b8199ff221978a7c47.png

There is a way to bind keys to the weapons but it will require opening the console. It does work on this port! 

type in the console:

bind [press the key you want to bind the weapon to] impulse x

replace “x” with a number within the range of 1-8. 1 being the axe, 8 being the thunderbolt. Now the key should work to select the given weapon. 

I will say an enhanced port with updated models+another episode is more than I expected for Quake's 25th. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the multiplayer interface though especially the apparent lack of LAN option, local play seems to just be for splitscreen. I don't think it will pick up players long term but even one weekend where it's easy to find deathmatches without getting destroyed will technically be a boon

I can't really tell why but the movement doesn't feel entirely smooth at high framerates? Comparing with vkQuake with both running at 140FPS vkQuake feels noticeably better.

4 hours ago, scalliano said:

Yeah, well, it's free, and it does come with Aubrey Hodges' awesome music and a reasonably decent N64-on-a-CRT-mit-RCA-cables screen filter.

And yeah, for a moment I thought they'd got their hands on Abyss of Pandemonium but it's just the Dimension of the Past episode from 2016. Hey, maybe we'll see AoP show up as one of the curated mods...

I see. I do not object to the inclusion of Quake 64, I just was not expecting it, that's all; to me, it is a bit as if Id Software were to add 3DO Doom as an official addon for Doom or something

But if there is a Quake II: Enhanced, however, it better includes Quake II 64! :P

I want to thank Nightdive for the option of using the Switch's own gyroscope when using 3rd party controllers in handheld mode. It makes using the Hori Split Pad a comfortable and viable way to play Quake on the toilet.

Okay so My switch version finally finished downloading and I plug in my keyboard into my switch lite to find out I could skip the intros which is nothing new, but the moment I brought up the menus I noticed I could actually navigate the menus and start a game, so I start a game of the normal quake 1 campaign and found out I could move with WASD and all that Jazz, but I noticed an issue I couldn't look around, so I hopped into the menus and found out I could rebind the keys which actually caught me off guard since Doom 64 all you could do was open the console and the Doom Unity ports was to skip the intros. However the console can not be open in the switch port so there's that. And now that I think about it this has to be the first switch game that has full support for a keyboard (and no being able to type with the keyboard in text fields don't count as having full support). They really seemed to go all out with the port 

50 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

this is way more than i expected and exactly what quake needed. fantastic job to all at night dive.

ok i have a minor fuss and it's that the audio playback seems to be tied to the framerate so it gets all crackly and choppy when frames drop in the new maps (and boy howdy do they on my amd piledriver and 2060 lmao)

5 hours ago, lazygecko said:

The audio engine is really weird for me. As soon as multiple sounds are stacked on eachother (especially bass heavy ones like explosions) it starts clipping like crazy and everything sounds very audibly distorted. Just what's going on with the mixing here?

and yeah this as well, it sounds like the sound volume doesn't turn them down before mixing, but instead after? weird.

Edited by msx2plus

7 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

i think we should rename this thread

To what? I vote for "Nightdive is the Wasp's Nipples."

7 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

But if there is a Quake II: Enhanced

I think Kaiser said somewhere that there is still a lot more to come. Nightdive is currently working on Sin Reloaded, which uses the Quake 2 engine, so I'm sure that Quake 2 is on its way. 

1 minute ago, omalefico32x said:

i think we should rename this thread

I agree. I pinged the OP, but I think they didn't notice. I don't know if Mods can edit titles, but if they could, that would be helpful. 

Here's my review so far

Quake Revitalized is A BLAST! There use to exist a free Chromebook Java version of the Shareware episode of quake, and that was the only way I could play for a while. I replayed it several times, so when I started Quake, it had sort of a slow buildup to me, since I was so familiar with the Shareware episode of Quake (I had to play it since you can only get the final boss that way, even though I've heard it's a bit of a let down). But, when I finally defeated the boss, I then went on to Episode 2, and WOW! Did that blow my mind! The Tech base-y feel of it, and the beautiful architecture! I wish Beth ported this sooner! great port, by the way! I haven't ran into any issues, yet! Love it. on PS4, I thumb-uped the game and 5-starred it, rightfully so! I love it so much!

I got this via auto download through Steam (I bought Quake that way years ago and have the official expansions also), and it alone of all games I acquired that way gives me an "app configuration unavailable" error. I have tried deleting the appinfo.vdf file in Steam/appcache, but that didn't help. any ideas?

Just now, JimFlasch said:

I got this via auto download through Steam (I bought Quake that way years ago and have the official expansions also), and it alone of all games I acquired that way gives me an "app configuration unavailable" error. I have tried deleting the appinfo.vdf file in Steam/appcache, but that didn't help. any ideas?

It updated and worked just fine for me, but i'd say try to use the repair local files utility in the steam options for the game

Just now, JimFlasch said:

I had to manually start the update, but I didn't have any issues after that. Maybe try verifying the data in Steam, sometimes that helps. It'll redownload any corrupt files.

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

anyone knows if the GOG one comes with this update now?
I vastly prefer GOG over Steam, and i just have a few spare bucks in store there.

It currently doesn't, and there's been no word of it happening. GOG still doesn't even have the Unity Doom ports or Doom 64, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for this any time soon.

I really hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but does it feel considerably "floaty" to anyone else? It almost feels like I'm swimming most of the time, but the framerate seems to be consistent. Just as a test I loaded up Quakespasm, and it felt smooth as silk, like how I always remembered Quake, even just playing in DOS. But this, it just feels like there's some kind of... well... Jello around you all the time. Even changing the target FPS, turning VSYNC on and off, changing the graphics settings, the FOV, it just feels sludgy compared to Quakespasm.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, because it seems odd. I don't even get this kind of sludgy movement in Darkplaces.

21 minutes ago, Jello said:

does it feel considerably "floaty" to anyone else?

a touch, yes. may have to do with how KEX handles input? the doom64 port kind of has a vibe about it too, not quite input lag and not quite over-interpolated. darkplaces feels considerably worse to me but it's definitely not as tight as QS. far from unplayable ofc, just off.

3 hours ago, Jello said:

I really hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but does it feel considerably "floaty" to anyone else? It almost feels like I'm swimming most of the time, but the framerate seems to be consistent. Just as a test I loaded up Quakespasm, and it felt smooth as silk, like how I always remembered Quake, even just playing in DOS. But this, it just feels like there's some kind of... well... Jello around you all the time. Even changing the target FPS, turning VSYNC on and off, changing the graphics settings, the FOV, it just feels sludgy compared to Quakespasm.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, because it seems odd. I don't even get this kind of sludgy movement in Darkplaces.

Did you disable borderless fullscreen?  The vsync setting will have no effect until you do that due to Windows DWM behavior.

I do have one issue to report on Xbox Series X.

Opening the weapon wheel will thereafter cause movement to judder about once a second, and if you open the weapon wheel several more times it will judder more often. It looks as if the game is skipping a frame consistently every second when this happens.. It is most noticeable when strafing sideways while turning.

This only seems to affect movement, turning in place results in no juddering.

Opening and closing the menu fixes it until you use the weapon wheel again.

EDIT: Just confirmed this also happens on the PC version, but only if Vsync is enabled.

Edited by Tarvis

29 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

a touch, yes. may have to do with how KEX handles input? the doom64 port kind of has a vibe about it too, not quite input lag and not quite over-interpolated. darkplaces feels considerably worse to me but it's definitely not as tight as QS. far from unplayable ofc, just off.

Just to make sure I just tried out Darkplaces with pretty much everything turned all the way up, and it didn't feel nearly as slow as the remaster. It was pretty much on par with Quakespasm with a few jitters during areas with heavy lighting and shadows. Either it's my machine, or there's an issue with the remaster, but it is damn floaty.

Edit: Weirdest damn thing; I did have it on fullscreen before, not borderless, but fullscreen, and it was floaty as Hell. Just tried it again, didn't change any options, and now it seems to be running fine. It's responsive, and behaves like Quakespasm or Darkplaces. I have no idea what changed, because I didn't change anything, and I didn't see any updates being installed, but now it behaves like I expect Quake to. Odd. And I've been playing Quake since 1996, I know what it should control like and how it should feel, it did not feel like that at first. Now it does, and it confuses me since I didn't change anything.

Edited by Jello

Do we know which sourceports can run Dimension of the Machine? Or how you're supposed to install sourceports now? I'd play it in the new port, but keep having framerate problems I can't fix, and I think whatever it's doing is slowing down my laptop.

9 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Do we know which sourceports can run Dimension of the Machine? Or how you're supposed to install sourceports now? I'd play it in the new port, but keep having framerate problems I can't fix, and I think whatever it's doing is slowing down my laptop.

it calls some cvars that don't seem to agree with other source ports - maybe something to do with this?:

the maps themselves do load in quakespasm spiked but throw errors and will eventually totally break - i can imagine this being addressed in a patch we can apply to the files down the line tbh.

right there with you on the framerate, the engine sure is *gorgeous* (those shadows!!!) but my machine hates it.

2 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

it calls some cvars that don't seem to agree with other source ports - maybe something to do with this?:

the maps themselves do load in quakespasm spiked but throw errors and will eventually totally break - i can imagine this being addressed in a patch we can apply to the files down the line tbh.

right there with you on the framerate, the engine sure is *gorgeous* (those shadows!!!) but my machine hates it.

I have pretty much all the visual effects turned off besides texture filtering and model interpolation, but my machine still hates it. If I look in any direction, it feels like it just skips frames for some reason, but moving in any direction is fine. I tried changing things like vsync, framerate cap, whether it's fullscreen or not, anything I could find in game and it did almost nothing or worse. Nothing I've tried outside of game settings seems to work either, so I'm stumped. I do have similar issues with Blood Fresh Supply, where it'll jump between 30-60fps when looking in any direction, so it may be connected to that.