Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

14 minutes ago, Lollie said:

In the meantime, I'm going to try substituting the OST with Hodges' Bandcamp version. It turns out that you can (currently) throw a "music" folder into "C:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\Nightdive\Quake\q64", and load it up with "track##.ogg" files numbered 01 to 16. They will simply play in-game, because Quake looks for .ogg files before it tries reading them from the PAK. (Good news for modders looking to soft-patch music! Like me!)

Neat, so once the issues re all sorted out and modding this release is all figured out, I'll have a good reason to actually get around to buying the Quake 64 soundtrack from Aubrey. Never really had much reason to till now, as I had no memory of the game spurring me on like I did for the Doom releases, plus, there was no modding use for them.

This does also mean it will be possible to replace Quake's original soundtrack with Methods of Destruction, right?

12 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

This does also mean it will be possible to replace Quake's original soundtrack with Methods of Destruction, right?

Possible, but imo not worth it. Reznors soundtrack fits much more.

57 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Yeah! The only thing would be figuring out the correct track numbers to replace from Quake's soundtrack VS MoD, if the track numbers are different at all. Otherwise replacing the soundtrack should be as trivial as converting MoD to OGG.

Neat! I'd definitely like to experience that soundtrack as-intended, ie ingame as opposed to just listening to it on my media player. Probably play through Hard or Nightmare with it, depending on what difficulty my first playthrough is on. The Doomer in me says Hard first because of the 'UV mentality' >_>;

2 hours ago, Midnight_00 said:

This actually made me buy Quake on GOG as it's quite cheap at the minute. I'd rather pay less and wait a bit for for a DRM-free copy than pay more and get it now on Steam. As long as they keep their end of the bargain we're good!

The only reason I avoided getting a digital version of Quake until now was because of the missing soundtracks. I don't see the point in paying for a partial product, and then having to resort to piracy to get the music back. I only had the base game on CD until now so I'm excited to try the expansions for the first time!

I have been enjoying the remaster a lot lately. The fact that the multiplayer is what I refer as "Netquake but without the horrid input delay" already made my day. I ended up playing the multiplayer with my friends at DOSBox Deathmatch Club all day long and even streamed it on Twitch at 8pm CST. Although I was kinda curious why the maximum players was set to 8 instead of 16?

Only downside is the Nightmare difficulty getting changed. You start with 100 health and end up getting capped at 50 health + monster behavior is changed as well. I actually feel like this should've been a toggle option or a new skill level rather than replacing the original difficulty outright.

Other than that, I think it's still worth checking out.

12 hours ago, TelicAx7 said:

If you want to play custom user maps, it seems it works just fine. Here's what I did:

Within the rerelease folder, open the id1 folder and create a new folder titled "maps". Save the bsp and lit files for user maps here. You can find maps here.

Once you have the maps in your maps folder, run the game and open the console. Type the following:

"map mapname skill x"

replace mapname with the name of the bsp file (you do not need to include the file extension) that you wish to load. replace x with the skill you wish to start the map on as follows:

0 - easy

1 - normal

2 - hard

3 - nightmare

I have tested several and they all ran just fine!

If for some reason the skill setting doesn’t work, run the intro to quake map and go through the difficulty you wish to play, then type the map command. 

There is another method that me and @OpenRift used for multiplayer.

This involves making a pak1.pak file including the maps and a modified mapdb.json file and I'll be providing a template for those interested. Just open it up via SLADE, drop the BSP files in the maps folder and edit the mapdb.json file and you should be set.

https://thebaratusii.razorback95.com/files/Quake_Remaster_Usermap_PAK_Template.zip

I believe this should do for now until we get map downloading in a future update.

UPDATE : Uploaded a hotfix to the template because Dimension of the Machine was not showing in the menus.

Edited by THEBaratusII

I wish MachineGames had used this opportunity to get Aubrey Hodges or Andrew Hulshult to compose a new soundtrack for the two new episodes. The marketing sells them as a "third expansion", yet both the actual expansion packs had their own unique soundtrack, composed by Jeehun Hwang (who also composed MechWarrior II's music).

As good as Trent Reznor's soundtrack is, it has only a handful of tracks and they are constantly reused throughout the vanilla game.

8 hours ago, Chip said:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/switch-limited-run-119-quake-deluxe-edition-1

image.png.6b1597030d6bf8fea9665bb5a90f211c.png

image.png.572b71dc43ff8e9df6106d67494c995f.png

Limited Run Games Ultimate Quake edition. 

The Collection includes:

• Quake Deluxe Edition
  • Physical Quake game for Nintendo Switch
  • Official Nintendo Switch sized Quake SteelBook
  • 18x24" Double Sided Poster
  • Metal Quake Logo Keychain
  • Commemorative Metal Coin 
  • Deluxe PC-style Big Box
  • Quake Logo Shirt
  • Ring of Shadows
  • Enamel Pin
  • 3" Metal Shambler Figure
  • Motorized Rotating Quake Quad Damage Replica Statue
  • Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
  • Deluxe Nail Gun Ammo Outer Box

The box will cost $175.00 USD and will be made available August 27th, 2021

God DAMN, that was fast. I'll be sticking with the regular cart, but I wasn't expecting this to show up for months. 

Out of curiosity, what estimates would we have for add-ons in the future? I have no clue what Quake mods are popular and current enough for consideration. Personally I'd like a Saturn Quake addon, but I don't think that one is likely, as that game was on the Slavedriver engine, not the Quake engine. There were lots of Quake mission packs being sold that didn't have the level of blessing that Scourge/Dissolution had, but they will all be both far too old and also too hard to track down the contributors by now I think.

6 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Out of curiosity, what estimates would we have for add-ons in the future? I have no clue what Quake mods are popular and current enough for consideration. Personally I'd like a Saturn Quake addon, but I don't think that one is likely, as that game was on the Slavedriver engine, not the Quake engine. There were lots of Quake mission packs being sold that didn't have the level of blessing that Scourge/Dissolution had, but they will all be both far too old and also too hard to track down the contributors by now I think.

Arcane Dimensions. That's the only thing i want as an extra addon at least, and maybe QuakeWorld too with some kind of Lightning Gun balancing mod so people get to experience the true Quake multiplayer.

I wanted to by hyped for this but I simply can't play the game while it has the weird interpolation shit on the control inputs. The mouse movement in particular has such bizarre acceleration-type feel to it that it feels like I'm playing with oven gloves on and I'm not willing or able to force myself to adapt to it when every other good fps ever made just supports raw input. It's a real shame because everything else about the release seems extremely cool but if I can't actually play it then it's like getting a free Ferrari with no steering wheel or pedals installed.

Just now, BoxY said:

I wanted to by hyped for this but I simply can't play the game while it has the weird interpolation shit on the control inputs. The mouse movement in particular has such bizarre acceleration-type feel to it that it feels like I'm playing with oven gloves on and I'm not willing or able to force myself to adapt to it when every other good fps ever made just supports raw input. It's a real shame because everything else about the release seems extremely cool but if I can't actually play it then it's like getting a free Ferrari with no steering wheel or pedals installed.

The mouse movement felt weird until I turned off vertical sync and went to borderless fullscreen. Others fixed it by switching to DirectX 11.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2579494755

The motion interpolation was probably done to accommodate analog controls on gamepads. I'd be surprised if there isn't any way to disable it.

2 minutes ago, THEBaratusII said:

The mouse movement felt weird until I turned off vertical sync and went to borderless fullscreen. Others fixed it by switching to DirectX 11.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2579494755

Huge thanks, that actually worked. I remember having to dick around with Doom 64 in a similar way to finally get input to work right, I like Nightdive a lot but they seem to be weirdly terrible at providing out of the box PC settings that actually work.

The steam overlay seems to be broken under Vulkan, just like Doom 64, it works fine if you run it over DirectX 11.

Also, i had a small bug on multiplayer where the title music kept playing during the first match.

Other than that, it's a good remaster, but it seems to be a bit rushed to get it on time for QuakeCon, not as bad as the initial release of the Unity Doom port though.

Nice to see Quake 1 getting some love.

...But what about the potential reboot, id?!

39 minutes ago, lazygecko said:

Video

Was kind of hoping to see something about the Quake 64 add-on and addons in general in there, I'm quite curious about that part.

I'm not sure, but I think I might have figured out why I've been getting stutters. I hadn't played Quake at all since yesterday, and when I booted it up a bit ago with the d3d11 renderer, it worked fine aside from texture glitches. But switching to Vulkan made it lag out like it did before, and it didn't matter which renderer I switched to yesterday or if I restarted my computer. Though, with d3d11, it seems to switch textures or something like that, cause I swear I saw Quakeguy's hand turn into a flaming torch at one point.

So how are we feeling about "Dimension of the Machine" so far?

I admit, I only have a vague recollection of MachineGames' previous "Dimension of the Past", so I am not particularly excited about the new episode.

11 hours ago, Jello said:

I really hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but does it feel considerably "floaty" to anyone else? It almost feels like I'm swimming most of the time, but the framerate seems to be consistent. Just as a test I loaded up Quakespasm, and it felt smooth as silk, like how I always remembered Quake, even just playing in DOS. But this, it just feels like there's some kind of... well... Jello around you all the time. Even changing the target FPS, turning VSYNC on and off, changing the graphics settings, the FOV, it just feels sludgy compared to Quakespasm.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, because it seems odd. I don't even get this kind of sludgy movement in Darkplaces.

Movement feels a little slippery. I also believe the camera should bob a little when you move, rather than remain at the same height. I think that's the way it works in the original version of the game.

The interpolated movement is definitely messing with the gameplay to its detriment. I feel like I'm having a hard time weaving in and out of enemy melee attacks in a way I don't recall having issues with in the original. And platforming elements become really frustrating. There's this this secret room with a teleporter near the final elevator in E1M3 which will teleport you to the platforms hanging on the ceiling in the hallway. Every time I run into that teleporter the inertia from stepping through will always make me overshoot and fall over the edge. It even happens when you WALK through the teleporter.

I find that cranking sensitivity to max, disabling v-sync (if using borderless window), and setting a higher max framerate definitely mitigates some control issues, although aiming still feels ever so slightly off.

image.png.f33e7bec985d0b85bbcd2d9dfb8c9d90.png

25 minutes ago, mattjoes said:

Movement feels a little slippery. I also believe the camera should bob a little when you move, rather than remain at the same height. I think that's the way it works in the original version of the game.

You can turn on view bobbing in the menu. There's quite a range of options, including, I think, one around interpolation.

So far I've played through the first episode on Nightmare and had a blast. Really impressed with the graphical overhaul and how easy to use it is, even though the base game worked just fine for me. Seems to have the music without needing a CD too, which is cool, and the add-on menu will be a lot more welcome here than in the Doom port, as I've never looked into Quake community mapping.

Looking forward to chipping through the rest of this. Having just finished Serious Sam Classics: Revolution - Bright Island on Serious last night, I'm pretty handy for some older-school FPS at the moment.

I'm little disappointed that it's a remaster rather than a modern reboot.

But it's a very nice remaster, with a new engine and additional content so thumbs up. And if you already had the game on steam, it's a free update with the original soundtrack finally included, and all the mission packs on top, and even an option to download the Quake64 version. You couldn't really ask for more.

I had a quick play through the shareware episode and noticed quite a lot of work has been done to improve the maps without altering the base geometry. Notably the texture alignment in tech bases is easier on the eye. There's transparent water as standard, with the best water warping I've seen in a hardware port, nice use of coloured lighting, and some nice engine additions such as dyanmic shadows and motion blur which works really well with the speed of Quake's gameplay.

The only things that feel missing are an equivalent of r_shadows for making monsters feel more grounded in the environment, (though the ambient occlusion option more or less addresses that.) and some additional options for pixel scaling. At release you have native resolution or a super crunchy 320x200 equivalent. It would be nice to see support for mid range 640x360 and 960x540.

Oh and the desktop icon sucks, so I made a better one. QuakeIcon48.zip

(Edit: I noticed a bug on opening the game a second time, that HUD elements started getting filtered. Oddly on opening the game a thrid time, the filtering disappeared.)

U9QLoVG.jpg

Edited by Urthar

22 minutes ago, Phobus said:

You can turn on view bobbing in the menu. There's quite a range of options, including, I think, one around interpolation.

Found it, thank you!