Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

4 hours ago, Jewellds said:

The only reason I avoided getting a digital version of Quake until now was because of the missing soundtracks. I don't see the point in paying for a partial product, and then having to resort to piracy to get the music back. I only had the base game on CD until now so I'm excited to try the expansions for the first time!

GOG has the soundtrack. Granted, it's in the form of CD images so it's a bit cumbersome, but it's there.

I now own both the Steam version and GOG version quite simply because I wished to A: Reward the devs on a job well done in what little way I could and B: Boost sales figures, even by a slight margin, to hopefully encourage work on Quake 2 as well.

Played the whole base game today. It looks and feels very nice. Shadow effects are particularly nice, and the higher quality sfx too. Next up, Mission Pack time!

I also fired this thing up today and played through the first episode. Was super impressed with how easy it was to dive into this and how good-looking the remaster is, with only subtle improvements. Also, just being able to play this straight out-of-the-box was so lovely, no need to break a sweat on which sourceport to choose from and why. Plus, the expansions packs are included and it even has a brand new episode from what I've read. I'm honestly surprised this didn't cost anything. Thank you Nightdive!

On 8/17/2021 at 12:15 AM, Bucket said:

What we want:

- the same exact game with the same exact capabilities, compatible with today's hardware

What we'll get:

- Bethesda.net

- DRM that will bog down the game

- achievements, ranking, pay2win grinding unlockables

- a new engine for no reason with bugs and crashes

- only approved levels

I wish the games studios werent all lost to the devil many moons ago but as history has shown us the last 20+ years... you are most likely spot on.

My nostalgic feelings cannot make me buy a soulless game which intention is to play with my nostalgic feelings.

Just now, Rudolph said:

Has anyone played "Dimension of the Machine" yet? What do you think of it?

I'm only played 1 realm so far, but it's got really good Advanced Quake Mapset vives (As Cooper and Arcane Dimensions of variety and enemies battles).

I'm happy to hear that GOG will be getting the update. I also hope that the new episode will be made available to run without crashing on Quakespasm. I'm really looking forward to trying out the new port and seeing what it can do, but I don't think it's possible to have a source port that surpasses Quakespasm. 

2 hours ago, CBM said:

I wish the games studios werent all lost to the devil many moons ago but as history has shown us the last 20+ years... you are most likely spot on.

He really wasn't. At all.

Pretty much that, if I'm using mouse and keyboard I turn it off. I prefer to have it off when using a controller, but if the game doesn't have an option to turn it off, or I'm feeling lazy, then I'll use it.

The first time I really paid attention to autoaim was in Half-Life, which aside from Quake 2 was the first game I played that had mouse look. Unlike Quake 2, it also had locational damage. With autoaim on, I noticed I was directly firing at the headcrabs on the zombies, but hitting them in the torso, so the zombie would go down, but I'd still have to waste ammo on the headcrab when it detached.

I also played a bunch of Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and Soldier of Fortune around that time, so I just turn autoaim off. If I miss, I miss. But if I'm aiming at the head, I expect to get a head shot, not a torso shot.

And I just turn it off in Doom now because I can't hit jack shit with the rocket launcher and autoaim on. The rocket always flies where the enemy was two seconds ago. It makes it very hard to lead your target.

It would be neat to have an Option like how Raze does for Build games, ON fully, Off fully, or hitscans only, which means one can still aim rockets and the like and only have the game handle hitscan 

6 hours ago, Urthar said:

I'm little disappointed that it's a remaster rather than a modern reboot.

A modernized Quake 1 reboot would take far more effort and take cues from modern games. This is good for now.

Far as i can tell this is pretty much top of the line port wise. An excellent companion to source ports, and a definitive one for consoles.

I just watched a video of the Remaster's gameplay and the only thing I noticed they changed were the models of Quake's things and their skins. Plus they added colored lighting.

What I expect from a game titled as 'Remaster':

Levels, graphics, models, sounds, music, etc all made from scratch.

Okay, okay, let's make the things less difficult: levels and monster ai can be left original. Gameplay can be left untouched for demo compatibility.

But... Dark Places comes to mind. Hmm, that damn thing looks a LOT more like Quake Remaster you know lol

20 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

I just watched a video of the Remaster's gameplay and the only thing I noticed they changed were the models of Quake's things and their skins. Plus they added colored lighting.

Okay, okay, let's make the things less difficult: levels and monster ai can be left original. Gameplay can be left untouched for demo compatibility.

But... Dark Places comes to mind. Hmm, that damn thing looks a LOT more like Quake Remaster you know lol

If you're happy using source ports and mods and comfortable configuring and setting those up, nobody forcing the new rerelease down anyone's throat. Can even load up the OG Quake on Steam or GoG if you prefer. This is just another option.

Some folks just want something simple with modern options and compatibility that they can quickly install on various systems. To us, yes, dark places is pretty straight forward to setup and configure, but the average gamer isn't gonna want to mess around with it or may not have the knowledge to do so. Some may have played Quake in the past and want a trip down memory lane, or some this may be their first time to see what all the fuss is about and this gets them up and going without all the extra steps (even if there's not many). Some of us who are diehard fans will still play the re-release because it's something new to try, and some will stick to the vanilla or sourceport flavors of Quake.

Just another option is all it is. And it's a pretty solid option to replay a classic with nice extras and content.

19 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

You literally just defined a "remake" of a game rather than a remastered version, or "revitalized" as it was described in the leak...

If it's not for you that's all right, it's a free update coming out that isn't even replacing anything that already existed before it, but at least judge the thing by what it's supposed to be.

Played through Machinegames' first episode and thought it was pretty fun. Got pretty scarce with ammo near the end and then it started really pumping out the Shamblers and Vores.

I beat the episode with about 5 health and 2 shotgun shells left and nothing else

Started up their second and new episode and the level of detail differences are staggering. Didn't get too far into it yet but it also seems to have new themes, like an industrial theme with oil drums which definitely wasn't in the OG Quake so its all new which is cool. Excited to play the rest.

This wasn't the kind of "modernisation" I was expecting :P

Also, unrelated: how come this game doesn't have censored medkits?

6 minutes ago, scalliano said:

I'm assuming it helps that it's surrounded by other design details, and not just a red cross on its own

13 minutes ago, scalliano said:

This wasn't the kind of "modernisation" I was expecting :P

Okay I have had that happen but it always has been able to get unstuck most of the time, as for the medkits, taking a shot in the dark and I think its that they don't look normal health supplies 

3 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

that's not a remaster - a remaster is sprucing it up using the materials you have available, not recreating it. it's about little modifications to bring it up to date or to better evoke what was intended but not quite achieved. the word comes from the music world - an album remaster may use the original tapes/multitracks/etc and get tidied up or brought up to speed - such as remastering mono recordings for stereo. what you're describing would be a re-recording or remake.

They upgraded textures for models, added localization, put textures into wads, added bigger sized weapon slots, and added new sounds for vibrations, look through slade, some interesting stuff.

quakeupdatefiles.png

quakeupdatefiles2.png

quakeupdatefiles3.png

quakeupdatefiles4.png

quakeupdatefiles5.png

quakeupdatefiles6.png

The enhanced models and textures are masterfully subtle in how they blend into the original game. Whenever PR people talk about updating graphics in remasters to make a game look "as you remember it" in these types of projects, I always wince because the changes they make can be so hit and miss. But in this case I really think it's a pitch perfect effort they did. Just very subtle improvements like a marginally better polycount on the weapons, and slightly improved color banding with a few more gradient shades on the super shotgun, etc.

And, hell, I've probably said this on Doomworld before but I think the OG Quake weapons already look better and way more gracefully designed within their limitations compared to the recent boomer shooters trying to mimick the style.