Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[TIME IS UP!] Literalism - A Boom-compatible CP where we do things by the map title

20 minutes ago, Krull said:

Yeah, I'm aware the pillars are unreliable. I started a thread about them, but in the end there was no time to address the issue in between all the other bugfixes and gameplay tweaks this week. I suspect the GZDoom rendering bugs are going to be my main concern from now on, as well, but maybe I'm just being pessimistic. 

The blue key in the pillar room is meant to be a 'booby prize' as the player should already have one by that point, but I suppose it could confuse some people. I'll probably remove it.

Ohh, I see now. The idea of the cyberdemons destroying the pillars is cool, but it's probably difficult to notice because you're generally trying to stay away from where the rockets hit (and because it's not something you usually see in Doom).

I completely missed the fact that I already had the blue key. I just assumed I needed it for one of the switches upstairs.

1 hour ago, Shibainumaster said:

How many hours do i have left?

Just under 20. Think you can do it?

3 minutes ago, Shibainumaster said:

Holy shit under 20 is more tha enough

In that case, the vacant slot is yours. Your map title is "The Space Base".

10 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

In that case, the vacant slot is yours. Your map title is "The Space Base".

LOL

Was "generic Doom map title" taken? 

1 minute ago, Pistoolkip said:

LOL

Was "generic Doom map title" taken? 

Well hey, not every map title needs to be super unique and esoteric.

@Pistoolkip and @MFG38, thank you both for the feedback you've provided.  Visually my intent was always for this to be a "lo-fi" map, with the clash of brown with mandatory blue being one-part an attempt to invoke a Petersenesque aesthetic and one-part deliberately ugly/jarring in a way that gets under the player's skin and contributes to the corroded mental state that the "Amnesiac" part of the title suggets.  It's ended up somewhat more low-fi and basic in appearance than originally intended mostly because I had some stuff come up this week that meant that I didn't so much as open up the editor between last weekend and late last night, and I just wanted to get a functional map out the door as a priority.  If I've got time to further work on it tonight I'll see if I can spruce up the visuals some, if not then I guess it ships in its current state.  To address a few things specifically:

• I used only the red and yellow keys because I assumed the blue key and associated blue trim textures would blend in too much with the dominant COMPBLUE texture/colour.
  • The zombie encounter is intended to give the player just a few moments of hesitation and assessing the situation before forcing them to commit to a decision: focus on one group of zombies, or the other, or jump into the lava and take some damage as you dash for a teleporter, but standing and dithering or dividing fire between the two groups is intentionally costly.
  • I definitely take the point that the "Amnesiac" part of the title is not well-embodied: "follow the path, repeat the path, try to repeat it a second time but the situation has changed and what you've learned is flawed," is I'll admit a fairly weak interpretation of the theme and the area in which I feel I've most dropped the ball.
  • What is it in particular that makes UV that much more difficult?  I felt like the replacement of the blue armour with a second green armour and the replacement of the arachnotrons with a second Cyberdemon were the biggest differences in quality rather than quantiy, and the other changes between difficulty levels are mostly just more monsters and ammunition.

7 minutes ago, Krull said:

So you didn't encounter any HOMs playing my map in GZDoom? Just framerate issues?

Yeah, there were no HOMs that I caught.

5 minutes ago, Shibainumaster said:

the source port is boom right?

Yep.

Also, don't want to be a tease , but it's midnight in my country you guys would'nt mind if i finish the map in the morning? I'am gonna develop it for the next 40 mins and then go snooze.

1 minute ago, Shibainumaster said:

Also, don't want to be a tease , but it's midnight in my country you guys would'nt mind if i finish the map in the morning? I'am gonna develop it for the next 40 mins and then go snooze.

As long as your map makes the deadline, I don't mind.

TheMCv1.3.zip

After getting some great feedback I have updated the map with a large amount of changes.

-Extensively and comprehensively updated the lighting.

-Various changes to the texturing and architecture.

-No more forced restarts if you fall off a platform.

-Platforming now requires less precision.

-A few gameplay rebalances.

Edited by ScrappyMcDoogerton : V1.3 has several bug fixes

Lunar Chasm v2

Blue key area:
-Removed some pinkies, replaced some rockets with plasma and added more health
-Moved the switch teleports so pinkies can't get stuck if you play with gzdoom

-Made the arachnotron monster closets a bit faster

Red key area:

-Made the archviles appear earlier but they are sleep now (this is to make sure that the player don't shoot the cyber wasting ammo)

-Made the final fight a bit harder (not too much because this is just map08 and I don't want to make it too hard)

-Also a few other minor gameplay / visual changes

lunarchasm_v2.zip

Map name: The Goat's Hideout

Author: Morpheus666

Play time: 2-4 minutes

Music: Forest - Dialup For Murder

Difficulty settings: yes

Coop: no

Deathmatch: no

Description: a forgotten tech base hidden high in the mountains, Because the map name had "goat Hideout" ,I immediately thought of the Himalayans and the mountain Goats, Using that i decided to fuse the typical Doom Tech base with a natural surrounding. The map is pretty short and straightforward, and has a few well hidden secrets.

(I would have liked to change the skybox but i don't know how)

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_000822.png.db3ce033d61bab0e4bdc8f122808de35.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_000842.png.2ff8434ca80c1ef44c7c3df8a4eafb3c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_000857.png.74a345d414eb4ecc653dbe94515e399a.png

DOWNLOAD:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vdk345i70xfu5w0/The+Goat's+Hideout+V2.zip/file

Map name: Return the Behemoth

Author: Death Bear

Play time: 3-4 mins?

Music: Visionary by James Paddock

Textures: Vanilla

Difficulty settings: No

Coop: No

Deathmatch: No

Description: A short map with big demons and a big gun to take them down. Return those big boys to hell the only way you know how. (You may notice it looks different. My original one ran out of time.) Tested with PRBOOM, DSDADOOM, and GZDOOM, didn't notice anything glaring. Enjoy!

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_002756.png.ec7f70eb39e1efcfccb8c252032916a4.png

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/fkv3euasbpb8v98/DB.RTB3v1.wad/file

Map name: The Space Base.

Author: Shibainumaster.

Playtime: approximately 10-12.

Music: In the dark.

Textures: Vanilla, TNT, Plutonia, Nb_flats and NMTEXT2 by Nick Baker, Lostres v2.1, Shibtex.

Diffyculty settings: Yes

Coop:No

deathmatch: no

Description: This map was originally planned to be some kind of abandoned mine, since i neevr used it i put it here.

Aslo can somebody please combine the map with the esources in the zip file? Slade freezes my PC and the it doesn't function.

Theres a MAPINFO template.

map MAP00 "The Space Base" cluster 1 next MAP00 SKY1 ASKY3 0 (this sky is in the lostres.wad) music D_THE_DA

zipmap06.zip

4 hours ago, Morpheus666 said:

Map name: The Goat's Hideout

Author: Morpheus666

Play time: 2-4 minutes

Music: Forest - Dialup For Murder

Difficulty settings: yes

Coop: no

Deathmatch: no

Description: a forgotten tech base hidden high in the mountains, Because the map name had "goat Hideout" ,I immediately thought of the Himalayans and the mountain Goats, Using that i decided to fuse the typical Doom Tech base with a natural surrounding. The map is pretty short and straightforward, and has a few well hidden secrets.

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_000822.png.db3ce033d61bab0e4bdc8f122808de35.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_000842.png.2ff8434ca80c1ef44c7c3df8a4eafb3c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_000857.png.74a345d414eb4ecc653dbe94515e399a.png

DOWNLOAD:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vdk345i70xfu5w0/The+Goat's+Hideout+V2.zip/file

Interesting map for an inexperienced mapper. It suits the theme wel and I liked some of the detailing. Not a lot of monsters but I was severely ammo starved until I found the Plasma, so I had to chainsaw everything. I never found the shotgun or SSG, but I did find some shells? (on HMP)

I liked how the map looks around on itself, though adding another monster closet that opens when you re-enter the lake area would add to the danger. 

Some additional notes:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_100420.png.fd2dc84f891e623ce456ecf2bbea5861.png

I didn't like the excessive use of the Stone5 texture. You should also frame your doors, with small alcoves in front, and a small framing texture (like support 2 or 3) around the door so it stands out more.

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_100430.png.df3c4d4baa5496e99d39cbbe70c79b64.png
This room looked great! Except for the door.

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_101016.png.64671436619b85f7f21396b018a4dd2d.png

Missing texture or something else going wrong?

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_101101.png.9f979d7a9732e351124404ea617fa929.png

Misaligned ceiling texture. You can split this sector up in several sectors, with the middle one having the lamps, and the outeredges just CEIL5_2.

Hope this helps!

@Morpheus666 Feedback for your map:

• Visuals aren't bad. Some solid texture usage and decent lighting, but the relative lack of detail leaves a little to be desired. Some subtle telegraphs for the secrets would also be appreciated - with the walls surrounding them all looking similar, it's a total game of guessing as to which wall exactly is the secret door. That's not particularly good design when it comes to secrets.
  • Layout shows promise. Once again, I appreciate how it makes a loop around itself.
  • Gameplay-wise, the map is way too easy. UV barely posed a serious threat - perhaps the only possible exception being the AV, but even then, any decent player will be able to dispose of it before it has a chance to deal any damage. There's definitely plenty of room for upping the challenge here. Spawn some more monsters in the opening lake area when the players loops back around to it.
  • SUGGESTION: The music needs to be replaced with a MIDI. See this post.
  • SUGGESTION: The exit is a little too abrupt. Adding an EXITSIGN to signify it at the very least wouldn't go amiss.
  • BUG: Visual glitch here (see spoiler):
Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_111317.png.ace43ba53d9b52460a8e4bb5acaf299d.png

@Death Bear And for your map:

• Good visuals overall. Texture usage was great, as was the lighting and detail work. Only minor nitpick I have in regards to the visuals is that the blue door would be better signified with the DOORBLU texture on the sides, not LITEBLU4.
  • Layout is nice and compact, and the opening section with the gradually opening doors was cool. Reminded me of that one map in TNT (was that an intentional reference?).
  • Gameplay is pretty fun, if somewhat on the easy side. The Cyberdemon, being in such a small space, does pose a decent threat, but there's still enough space for the player to two-shot him with the BFG pretty safely. One way to up the challenge, if you wanted to do so, would be to put some more Pinkies into the combat encounters, so as to "compress" the player's movement space a little further and incentivize a slightly more strategic approach.
  • No bugs caught.

4 hours ago, Morpheus666 said:

Make a small sector outside of the playable space.

Add the custom sky texture to one of the linedefs of that sector, as a regular wall texture (be sure to asign the upper, middle and lower texture). <- only upper texture is needed

Give that same linedef a number 271 (Transfer Sky Texture To Tagged Sectors) and a unique tag (I typically use tag 99 but you can use any number you wish).

Now, give all the sectors that have a F_SKY1 ceiling that same tag (99 or your chosen number).

Now, the custom sky texture should appear instead of the default sky.

In case, you already used one or more tags in the outdoor sectors (for example, because its a lift or teleporter destination):

Just make an additional linedef with number 271 and custom sky texture; and give that one the tag of the lift or teleporter destination. Basically each sector where you want the custom sky to appear must have one linedef 271 assigned to it.

Suggestions for Himalaya type skies:

SNOSKY01.png.479a6a6d6c9ba25b46faa1b27338cb6b.png

SNOSKY01 by Mechadon from Mechadon's box 'o skies, download here: http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/meks-box-o-skies/

SkyBox20.png.698646351c7384e8aaededbfcda09fc4.png

SkyBox20 by Eradrop, download here (many more variations of this in the pack):

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Just now, Shibainumaster said:

MFG how many time is left?

3 hours and 5 minutes.