Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sargebaldy

ZooM: A ZDoom-based Racing Mod

ok first off, i'd like to direct you to
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12446
if you don't know what this is.. the last thread got post helled for some garbage at the end >:|

anyway, nanami is adding in a few little goodies like timers and hyena tweaked with the 5 spheres the game is going to use.

we're also not sure whether we're going to make this project for zdaemon or skulltag, although at this stage we're learning towards the former, as skulltag can't even seem to load nanami's 1337 scripts how it's set up now.

the current beta versions of skulltag are based on 1.22, and the current public version is based on 1.18 (or possibly before), so newer inventory acs stuff (which I gether you use a bit) as well as the majority of hexen support aren't supported by it fully or at all.

Hmm, just as a means of discussion, what's everyone's best time on the Volcano map? Mine's 1:22, but I was just messing about with the evil things while I was at it.

Trasher][ said:
Hmm, just as a means of discussion, what's everyone's best time on the Volcano map? Mine's 1:22, but I was just messing about with the evil things while I was at it.

i actually hadn't tried that yet :P nanami only added that timer in this evening.

EDIT: first try: 0:28

then again, i know the map :P

0:23 seconds
Of course, I made the map.

I wish I could work on the timer at the top of the screen more but it's getting pretty difficult. I'll think on it a little bit, my brain just hurt a lot yesterday from staring at all that code.

Also, as soon as I figure out how, I'm going to set it so you return the the latest checkpoint upon death. Oh, and the "Checkpoint 1" text is only there for my benefit. All text in that color will be removed from the final version.

Edit: Heh, Sarge's documentation is wrong in some places.

2) Weapon: a red sphere marked with a sword, this might give you something rather nice, or it might take all that you have away from you :) <--Weapon Sphere gives you a weapon, or nothing at all (rarely). It's the Chaos Sphere that can remove your weapons.

neat, I really like the volcano map. for some reason I can't move in the lounge though, I think you forgot to turn off prop_frozen at the end of the map. either turn it off before the player exits or in the open/enter (whichever you used) in the next map. this is in zdoom 2.0 42 btw.

also:

http://cyb.vect.org:8080/misc/checkpts.zip

that has the checkpoint thing I described to you in the zdoom forums, though I had to make some changes. to get it to run you need to start zdoom with -deathmatch and -host 1 (actually -deathmatch shouldn't be necessary, but the map only has one dm start and no sp starts).

what it does is save the player's last checkpoint in a var (check) and then sets it accordingly as they pass each checkpoint. when they die they spawn in a little box that sends them over a line that teleports them to the proper checkpoint spot. of course this version will only work with a single player, but if you add in checks for player numbers and store the checkpoint for each player (however many you want it to support, I assume at least 4, zdoom's max playercount is 8 I believe) and of course put all the dm spawns in that little scrolling box then it should work how you want it to.

edit: damnit apparently you have it figured out? and I also didn't know about respawn scripts which would make the map a bit simpler heh. ah well, 15 mins work down the drain

The inability to move in the lounge is a known bug. Since the only thing we're showing off right now is MAP25, I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Also, I've already made the "return to checkpoint" feature by using an array and using RESPAWN scripts, but thanks for the help, I did read over your innitial idea to get it working.

I also fixed a bug with bots/players being added during the countdown process/movie sequence that were able to run around and do things while you couldn't. A newer version is at:

http://xfury.net/Xarenrath/ZooM.zip

EDIT: When I get around to it later, I'll update http://xfury.net/Xarenrath/ZooMscript.zip

Trasher][ said:

Volcano map?

Oh, I wondered how you guys got such good times.

Best time=1:33

Guess I'll have to try harder

EDIT1: I'm up to 1:25 now!

Epyo said:

Oh, I wondered how you guys got such good times.

Best time=1:33

Guess I'll have to try harder

it's not hard.. my 0:28 was a pretty pitiful time really, once you get to know the track.

you're kidding, I can't get better than 1:25! I've tried at least 21 times.

Epyo said:

you're kidding, I can't get better than 1:25! I've tried at least 21 times.

then you're not finding the quickest path... just try it a few times and you'll get it

I think Sarge is talking about per-lap and Epyo is talking about all three laps.

My time was just for one lap, Epyo is probably doing all three. Am I right? It's easy to get less than 30 seconds for one lap.

EDIT: Just tested; 1:09 for all three laps. Ran into some stuff on the way. It's probably possible to get less than a minute.

by now we've taken care of all of the major scripting issues and nanami is updating a few maps to support waypoints and such. we've also completed lap scripting, and deaths now return the player to the nearest waypoint, and the maps have all been throughly packed. anyway, zoom is off to an awesome start.

and btw when i say 'we', i mean NANAMI, who's been a crazy workaholic through this whole endeavour and has my constant praise.

i think everyone can probably expect a demo to be available within a few weeks.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

0:21 seconds on volcano.

I didn't think I'd enjoy this, but it's actually pretty good. Nice stuff guys :)

21 seconds? nice :) i think you'll like it even more when the demo comes out and we start running some races against actual people ;)

Sargebaldy: I doubt I'll be able to take part. With my stupid 56k modem and all. I haven't played an online match in a year or so, instead going for duels over a lan. I can't believe you've knocked this out already... nanami must be scripting like crazy. I like the way you can ramp off one of the small mounds and onto the line of torches at the upper end of the map. I can see some good opportunities for shortcuts like that :D

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Sargebaldy: I doubt I'll be able to take part. With my stupid 56k modem and all. I haven't played an online match in a year or so, instead going for duels over a lan. I can't believe you've knocked this out already... nanami must be scripting like crazy. I like the way you can ramp off one of the small mounds and onto the line of torches at the upper end of the map. I can see some good opportunities for shortcuts like that :D

i guess that's understandable. nanami's actually on a 56k as well, but i don't think that's going to stop her :P

oh, and please don't credit me on the map, that was nanami's as well :P... and yes she IS scripting like crazy.. especially considering her severe lack of spare time. i've tried to get her to take a break but i can't even get her to do that. she deserves credit on most of what we have to date. the idea might have been mine in the first place, but she's really the one getting this thing off the ground. i just hope she doesn't work herself to death before we're finished!

Best time= 0:20
Very nice, i thought this was great fun, after i learned to not run up the mini volcano's :/

Oh my gosh, yes, that Nanami girl deserves constant praise.

I mean, she has school AND work, and some of her days are 13 hours long. Not to mention she works on Saturdays, and is doing 99% of the scripting and some of the mapping!

Yes, that girl really deserves to be praisedyoushouldberealnicetohersheisverycool!!!!1

[Error, Nanami Overload]

Heh, about time I posted here. Yes, Nanami deserves alot of praise, she's been working endlessly. I'm just a lowly mapper. :) So far my best time in the map was 0:25(one lap). *tries to think of what his next track could be*

*praises Nanami*

I think there should be turbo-booster-things on the floor in maps, before straightaways etc. Relive mario kart! (and like every other racing game made after it)