Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

If they port Quake 2, and maybe Q3 Arena and Q4, what would be the next step for ID? Remastering their Mobile RPG games, give Doom Resurrection a PC port? I was looking forward to a Quake rerelease so much, that I didn't even consider what will happen next. Maybe we'll finally get that long-awaited Rescue Rover Ultra HD RTX remaster.

55 minutes ago, Chip said:

If they port Quake 2, and maybe Q3 Arena and Q4, what would be the next step for ID? Remastering their Mobile RPG games, give Doom Resurrection a PC port? I was looking forward to a Quake rerelease so much, that I didn't even consider what will happen next. Maybe we'll finally get that long-awaited Rescue Rover Ultra HD RTX remaster.

The RPG games are a bit niche, so I doubt they'd tackle them unless they bundled them together. I'd personally love an iD RPG collection. 

1 hour ago, Chip said:

Bro, the world needs a Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion remaster ... then people can see the original iD boomstick! Powerful gun, powerful sound, gibs flying!

Tried out this port with the expansions Dimension of the Past and Dimension of the Machine (I see less appeal in playing through the original Quake campaigns in this, though I've given some of them a brief look).  So far I've found the port pretty good, striking a good balance between new features/enhancements and keeping it true to the original, though more advanced Quake users may still prefer more advanced ports (I have a history of mostly using DarkPlaces).  I haven't thought much of Dimension of the Past, I quite enjoyed the first level but then it got a bit gruelling.  But Dimension of the Machine has so far been enjoyable, and making good use of custom textures to create a wider variety of environments while still maintaining a strong Quake feel.  I also managed to find the secret level surprisingly early on.

Not sure how Dimension of the Machine measures up to the Quake modding scene as I haven't been playing Quake mods for a while, but it seems somewhat more consistent with the Quake-style mods/maps that I've played for Doom recently.  Lack of colour was often one of my main gripes with the stock Quake maps and Dimension of the Past didn't really address that, but Dimension of the Machine does.

Edited by ENEMY!!!

6 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

You mean I can't download the new episode elsewhere? :(

The new episode was created by Machine Games specifically for the new Quake remaster as part of its 25th anniversary, so the only way you can get it is by downloading the new remaster.

Once you have it, you can copy the new episode from its local files, and use it in a port of your choosing. Via Steam, this means:

• In your Library, right-click on Quake, then go to Properties > Local Files > Browse...
  • Once you have your local "Quake" folder open, navigate to the "rerelease" folder.
  • Copy the "mg1" folder to your new desired location.
  • Follow your source port's instructions for loading new Quake episodes.

In QuakeSpasm for example, loading the new episode requires you to open the console, and then type "game mg1". This will load the new episode!

Note however, source ports may still need to add specific support for the new episode. QuakeSpasm appears to be able to play it, but the console is full of this one message, and many strings don't appear correctly.

1323327179_notepad_20210822_13-23-58-561.png.d26fd1e2025f80bf82deab535f85bd22.png

Yeah, NRFTL had no native support at release either. Its up to source ports to add support for it really. And it'll likely happen as this is official content.

This port has r_viewmodel_quake command like in Mark V port? I want to shorten weapon model.
Great port btw, Nightdive did a really good job!

It seems they found another issue over at the Func_Msgboard: the fifth level of each episode (E1M5, E2M5, E3M5, E4M5) always uses track 10, which is not accurate and leads to track 11 not being used at all. This is supposedly due to incorrect settings in the entity defs of those maps.

It might be this change already happened back in the 90s since changelog for v1.02 states that one ambient track was removed. However, whatever was the reason, there is no reason to keep it like that. Music definitions from v1.01 Retail can be used.

9 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Well we haven't changed a single thing about the physics so I'm not quite sure what you're allegedly seeing.

Nothing alleged about it. It has in fact been changed. There is a new cvar for gibs gravity (sv_gibgravity) and it has been set less than normal gravity by default.

8 hours ago, NightFright said:

I wonder what was the original idea behind putting Jesus into Quake in the first place.

Sandy talks a little about it in one of his vids.

At 7 minutes in. He doesn't actually say who's idea it was to put it in the game in the first place, but he did mention he talked Romero out of using it as a floor plate.

19 minutes ago, NightFright said:

It seems they found another issue over at the Func_Msgboard: the fifth level of each episode (E1M5, E2M5, E3M5, E4M5) always uses track 10, which is not accurate and leads to track 11 not being used at all. This is supposedly due to incorrect settings in the entity defs of those maps.

Between that, the "track 98" issue, and the wrong lights, it might be worth to reupdate the game. I suppose the lightmaps from the released game can be decompiled (don't tell me NightDive is bad at reverse-engineering this kind of stuff!) and then tweaked and recompiled in higher res instead of using the inaccurate lightmaps from the map sources. The offending demo can be patched to call a different track number, it's just one byte to change.

10 minutes ago, Tarvis said:

Nothing alleged about it. It has in fact been changed. There is a new cvar for gibs gravity (sv_gibgravity) and it has been set less than normal gravity by default.

Ugh you're right. Someone was playing around with this and I guess never told the rest of us? Why do I keep finding these?

20 minutes ago, Gez said:

I suppose the lightmaps from the released game can be decompiled (don't tell me NightDive is bad at reverse-engineering this kind of stuff!)

You can't decompile lights, that's not how that works. The lights are culled out of the final data and in their place is just a lightmap texture. I guess a neural network could reverse that but that's quite beyond any resources we could possibly produce.

21 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Somehow, the source maps have different lights than what was baked for the original Quake. E1M1 had no lights at all and needed to be entirely relit.

Rebuilding from source was used to help facilitate localisation (a completely absent aspect of the original engine) and upres the lightmaps with colour and bounce lighting and such.

Was bounce lighting available when the lightmaps were baked for the original 1996 release? If not, using it here would have a huge effect on how bright the maps end up being — the visible ceiling in the boss level is a big example of that. You'd have to rebake the maps without any bounce lighting to get them looking closer to correct.

On 8/21/2021 at 12:41 AM, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Minor visual glitch regarding an achievement:

Reveal hidden contents

The in-game notification for the Well of Wishes achievement shows the icon for the Sandy’s Room achievement.

Another visual glitch: The Gremlin's Domain notification shows the Well of Wishes icon.

Loving the port so far. My introduction to online deathmatch came via Q3 and cable Internet, so I missed the real beginning by a good couple of years.

Still, speaking for the XB1 version of the port, I feel as though the controls could be improved/expanded upon. It feels to me as though there is an excessive amount of deadzone or a general sluggishness in the thumbsticks. Being able to tweak or better yet completely disable the aim acceleration would be huge - especially seeing as we're encouraged to play cross platform to keep the online community alive.

Ultimately, I want to be able to strafe jump around the maps just like I could on PC - Quake 3 Revolution (PS2), Quake 2 (Xbox 360) and Quake 4 (Xbox 360), despite popular belief, facilitated this type of movement on controllers.

I hope this port can offer the same level of potential control.

Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Cantleylads said:

Loving the port so far. My introduction to online deathmatch came via Q3 and cable Internet, so I missed the real beginning by a good couple of years.

Same here, i actually have so much Fun with the Multiplayer on the Switch that i've also bought the Steam Version :)

Hoping that the Multiplayer doesn't falls flat as soon (by causals as me :D )

3 hours ago, Lollie said:

Was bounce lighting available when the lightmaps were baked for the original 1996 release? If not, using it here would have a huge effect on how bright the maps end up being — the visible ceiling in the boss level is a big example of that. You'd have to rebake the maps without any bounce lighting to get them looking closer to correct.

No, it isn't in the default compile tools. I can understand why they would use it though. With it you can light a scene with just a few sources and get good results.

1 hour ago, Urthar said:

No, it isn't in the default compile tools. I can understand why they would use it though. With it you can light a scene with just a few sources and get good results.

That's the thing though: If you're baking lightmaps using the lights from the original map files, then the only way you're gonna get correct lighting is by using settings that are (more or less) in line with the original tools. If the lighting wasn't set up with bounce in mind, using bounce is going to produce bad results.

Having said that, it'd be interesting to see lighting comparisons by outputting demo videos from both the original and remastered releases, and setting the videos beside each other (or overlaying them with a "difference" blend) to see what's changed.

I was curios and tried out YPOD on this port, the major problems are that the palette doesnt convert, and the remastered models overwrite the YPOD models, other than that its perfectly fine.

I noticed that the Steam and Microsoft Store pages show that the re-release is only rated M in Australia, and the rating makes no mention of the gory violence. Quake was originally rated MA15+.

Also, Quake II recently got a higher age rating in Australia. Quake II was originally rated MA15+, but on 15 June 2021 it was re-rated as R18+. And in July, it was submitted for classification yet again. What's up with that? The Steam page for Quake II RTX and the new Microsoft Store page for Quake II still show the MA15+ rating.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

What's the deal with Chthon's stage and the enemies insta-gibbing when the stage is done? 

(and was it in the 64 version?) 

2 minutes ago, Swordofdanu said:

What's the deal with Chthon's stage and the enemies insta-gibbing when the stage is done? 

(and was it in the 64 version?) 

It's always been like that.

2 minutes ago, SteelPH said:

It's always been like that.

Oh, ok thanks, just shows how long it's been since I've played it. 

On 8/19/2021 at 9:18 PM, P41R47 said:

I vastly prefer GOG over Steam

user picture checks out

EDIT: on topic: I'm also super excited for this release. Can't wait to try it

9 hours ago, Tarvis said:

So I wasn't hallucinating after all. Great find, thanks!

And it looks like the ExM5 music issue was introduced a while ago. E1M5 uses track11 in the 1996 retail release, while in the 2006 .map sources it's suddenly track10. Not my find btw, gila posted it on Func_Msgboard.

Edited by NightFright

Nice to see so many people posting who are completely new to Quake.

Gave DotM a quick look last night, stylistically it is quite a departure from the rest of the expansions, feeling more like a community mod for something like Quakespasm or DP. And, my word, are those Quake II/III assets in there, too? Cheeky.

Currently plying through the campaigns in order on PS4, but I might jump over to PC or Switch for the new episode as it runs like ass on my base console. Yes, Switch runs DotM better than base PS4.

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

So I wasn't hallucinating after all. Great find, thanks!

And it looks like the ExM5 music issue was introduced a while ago. E1M5 uses track11 in the 1996 retail release, while in the 2006 .map sources it's suddenly track10. Not my find btw, gila posted it on Func_Msgboard.

This would also explain why Methods of Destruction has only 10 tracks, not 11. It must have been made after the 11th track went missing.