Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hakros

[UPDATED] [FIRST MAP] Hakros Complex 1.8

LOGO.png.7428613165fb6b8fa6b55223a7ec2900.png

Hi everyone, i've been playing doom since 1996 but never had made any map before, so i'hope you like my first attemp.

It's a mix between standard and slaughter map and a metroidvania experience.

After last revision the map it's not so difficult as it was at beginning but i think it is still enoughly fun to play.

Better play in vanilla mode, because with mods you can have performance issues.

Thanks for your time.

Good hunt and i'll hope you can survive !

------------------

Name: Hakros Complex

Version: 1.8
Format: UDMF
Ports Tested: GZDoom
IWAD: Doom2.wad
Map: MAP01
Gameplay: Single player and cooperative (max 8 players)
Build Time: 3 weeks
Textures: OTEX (included)
Jumping: Allowed and needed
Crouching: Allowed and needed
Freelook: Allowed
Difficulty: Just one UV++
Dehacked file: Yes (you can removed it if you want but i think this will very helpful in some areas)

Enemies: 5.000

Secrets: 60

------------------

DOWNLOAD FROM HERE

Standalone version includes also (GZDOOM, HIGHRES STANDARD TEXTURES AND OTEX TEXTURES)

https://hakros.itch.io/hakros-complex

SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler

001.png.55e8f2b24fc62f80b14838a9bc893e71.png

002.png.ca114f40a58b3a112413fe3199b15f18.png

003.png.d8b2c5fb90e1d7bb878c77504082cf9d.png

004.png.a37fd8f51b07a3e6534ac232f38e9f6c.png

005.png.ea4c1a9d94faa19341b03de558b9a0fe.png

006.png.854f378c06d8e7ebe7f1f1a0304d3a4a.png

010.png.3c30927cc038f5d67e60b59c91c27c1b.png

008.png.04b152475a8c0a3235331219cf2796fe.png

011.png.5e502246261ccf1c60cd87bd655afb3e.png

007.png.889d17b2b07804cb5ed38d8de339cb50.png

012.png.80557f341147b06adc796d25fc0aa66c.png

016.png.77681c34fb865c848d6de263fb68a979.png

014.png.e86eb323af33a611c34dbfc87bcd33a4.png

015.png.a1f8ac9be800c5653077ef7b7be8772c.png

018.png.f3192c55233512f0e380ecaa07d9e5cf.png

Edited by hakros

I know, but It is also a very large map ... ;-) !!

Now are 'only' 5000 enemies !

Edited by hakros

Yo! Here's a video with raw thoughts on the first hour. At the end of the video there's a stream of thoughts, so if you skip through be sure to hit the end of the video at least!

Good morning. May I ask why the file is 298MB??? Not complaining here, but COMPARED to the maps I have downloaded so far in my short time here in the Doomworld forums, the file is too big. So what is the reason for the file being too big?

22 minutes ago, RevenantFTS97 said:

Good morning. May I ask why the file is 298MB??? Not complaining here, but COMPARED to the maps I have downloaded so far in my short time here in the Doomworld forums, the file is too big. So what is the reason for the file being too big?

The author included a copy of GZDoom and a copy of Hi-Res Doom Textures in the download; which as you can imagine, significantly increased the file size.

To Hakros, the OP: I personally would not recommending you doing this for your future projects - telling players to download source ports capable of playing your map is more than enough. 

2 hours ago, RevenantFTS97 said:

2 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

The author included a copy of GZDoom and a copy of Hi-Res Doom Textures in the download; which as you can imagine, significantly increased the file size.

To Hakros, the OP: I personally would not recommending you doing this for your future projects - telling players to download source ports capable of playing your map is more than enough. 

The standalone version includes gzdoom and textures pack (otex and standard hd), but you are right so i've included now the wad file alone as well.

Thanks for your suggestion.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, Helm said:

Yo! Here's a video with raw thoughts on the first hour. At the end of the video there's a stream of thoughts, so if you skip through be sure to hit the end of the video at least!

Hi, thanks so much for play my map.

1) The problem with light (dark areas) must be a problem with monitor because for me is not so dark (with normal gamma).

For other side, are you using reshade? because i've seen a bloom effect and maybe that it's the problem.

But in any case i'll try light up these zones, thanks for the suggestion.

2) In relation with spectrals demons, yes maybe there too much i'll try to change them to standard.

3) Regarding obtaining the weapons, the intention was to be progressive, thus you cannot access them so quickly from the beginning. The machine gun is hidden at the beginning at the closed room of the security area, right next to the waste pit, where the anti-radiation suits are.

When you found it (machine gun) for first time by jumping through one of the gaps; The idea was to already had it and at that moment just get more ammunition.

This action of jump and crouch in air yes it is inspired by modern games but in this case it was done on purpose.

I will release an update with the changes you have suggested, I don't know if you can update it and load the current game or if you would have to start over again, but in any case i warn you that the following areas (most of them) are brighter.

Again, thank you very much for playing my map and thanks for your opinion.

PS: Of course if you finnally finish it (record or no), please let me know your final opinions.

Thanks so much.

Edited by hakros

8 hours ago, Helm said:

HI !

I've just upload a new version 1.3 that changes spectres demons (not all but a lot of them) and i've tried to increase the lights a bit, and other minor changes.

Greetings :-D !!

On 8/22/2021 at 7:44 AM, hakros said:

My friends have not been able to finish the map, maybe it is so difficult for them but i know that in this community there a lot of hardcore players and maybe they will be able to reach the exit.

After so many attempts I can see why your friends weren't able to finish the map... Because it is DAMN HARD! It is a very long map and from time to time it's a bit confusing to navigate through it. In addition, it is full of traps and unescapable acid pits. I died two times because of them. The first time I gotta say it was my fault, because for a moment I stopped paying attention and it just happened. The second time was WAY more frustrating because I ran into a partially invisible Mancubus and I ended up falling into the pit :(

1 hour ago, RevenantFTS97 said:

After so many attempts I can see why your friends weren't able to finish the map... Because it is DAMN HARD! It is a very long map and from time to time it's a bit confusing to navigate through it. In addition, it is full of traps and unescapable acid pits. I died two times because of them. The first time I gotta say it was my fault, because for a moment I stopped paying attention and it just happened. The second time was WAY more frustrating because I ran into a partially invisible Mancubus and I ended up falling into the pit :(

Hahaha, sorry but this is the life for a true marine.

Who would put a teleportation in real life to get out of a pit of toxic waste?

PS: It's a little bit confusing because it's a very COMPLEX UAC installation.... ;-) !!!

Edited by hakros

4 hours ago, hakros said:

Hahaha, sorry but this is the life for a true marine.

That's a good point (the next statement is pure sillyness XD XD)

I'm reviewing the map for rebalance de complexity

Edited by hakros

Hi guys, i've update the map with the suggestions of doomworld testers (special thanks to Helm for his suggestions)

I've reduced the number of specters and increase the light of some areas because were so dark.

I've also reduced de number of enemies to 5.000 and i've duplicated the secrets to 60... :-D !!

Greetings

Edited by hakros

Hi again, new release 1.5

Now the map it's fully playable

Edited by hakros

https://youtu.be/gcZItalVESw = part 1. (starts at around 1:35:00)

https://youtu.be/UUu4m5eItoc = part 2. (continues immediately from first part)

Well, this was an experience and a half. A case study in why you shouldn't overambitiously rush a "complex" Metroidvania-esque UDMF map in 3 weeks, because the end result is a lot of poor execution and mostly dull gameplay (so much monotexturing also!), even WITH sped up weapons and 999% health possible.

The fact that I could easily skip the most intense fight of this map (the Mirror Temple) by a simple rocket jump after getting the red skull key speaks volumes to me. The rest of the map was pretty easy to be honest, given the OP weapons and health buff. (and honestly, would still be pretty easy without said weapon/health buffs for the most part)

Still, there were some decent moments. (flying at the end, as awkward as it was to discover how to access it, was fun) Perhaps focusing more on good encounter and level design, instead of "trying out every feature UDMF has to offer all at once" would be beneficial for future maps. Basics first, complexities later.

Also, please stop using invisible-until-they-fire enemies. They're never any good and served no purpose throughout the entirety of the map. You can probably do better than this, I suspect.

Hi, thanks so much for play the entire map.

I'm sorry that you found it boring in some areas, the truth is that the map at the beginning was more difficult even outside the no slaughter zones but after the first gameplays here in doomworld community (everybody told me it was so difficult) so i added more stuff (maybe too much) and i also increase the stats of the player for that reason may now it is very easy.

This map was the first one and I tried to test a little of everything, so maybe it is a little (too) experimental.

I could not see your live but I have seen it delayed so I will review the errors that I have seen and try to change some things.

Anyway thanks for playing it.

New release 1.8

Bugs fixed
I changed a lot of things and i've increase the difficult on the different areas.