Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

What do you do when your marine is dead?

What do you do when your marine dies?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do when your marine dies?

• Restart level
    • Reload saved game
    • End game

When you're playing Doom single player and your marine gets killed, what do you usually do?

Personally, I generally consider it to be Game Over and end the game.

depends on the level and conditions. i usally start from a save. unless i want a challenge or i am playing doom(2) GBA

Linguica said:

Whenever you die in Doom you quit? What the hell?

Heh, yeah, Someones a PoorSport. :P

I myself usualy just hit teh spacebar and start again. :D

I usually End Game.

Only rarely do I pick up from the beginning of the level or from a save game, and that's usually only on my first playthrough of a given levelset.

Draconio said:

When you're playing Doom single player and your marine gets killed, what do you usually do?

Personally, I generally consider it to be Game Over and end the game.

Even when playing Hell Revealed 2?

Sit back in quiet reflecting, take a gult from a handy nearby coke-can, and either load or press Space

I usually grumble to myself about how far I was in the level, snarl, and then hit Use to start the level over. If I've been playing the level for some time, I usually quit and go play some other game, get on the internet, or do some level editing.

i save at the start of a level and load that... what? i DIED WITH GUNS & AMMO if i just hit the space (tho i do sometimes) i'm not gonna make it far.

Ct_red_pants said:

Curse in seven languages and reload.

Dude, you gotta teach me that trick... :P

If I've already gotten far on a large single map or on a megawad, episode, or hub, then I most likely reload from a saved game. Otherwise, I just start the map over. Sometimes I switch to a different map or maybe just play a different game.

Where's the 'I don't die, I'm too god-like' and 'I don't die, I always use IDDQD' options?

Shaviro said:

Even when playing Hell Revealed 2?

When I'm playing a difficult megawad that I'm intent on completing I'll generally use saves, but on the original Doom/Doom 2 levels I usually don't bother.

NiGHTMARE said:

Where's the 'I don't die, I'm too god-like' and 'I don't die, I always use IDDQD' options?

Considered them, didn't put them in because it's a poll about when you do when you do die, not why you don't die in the first place =p

I always wish Doom had a massacre or butcher code like Heretic or Hexen so I can have the satisfaction of everything else dying then too. Unfortunately, Heretic and Hexen don't let you enter codes while dead, so you just can't win when when you're dead either way.

Depends. If I haven't been enjoying the map much anyway I'll quit, if I have been and haven't saved I curse and ask why with the advent of source ports you can'tbe raised from the dead and carry on, then begrudgingly start over. If it's a large map or one in a megawad I'll usually have saved anyway so I go from there.

Gokuma said:

I always wish Doom had a massacre or butcher code like Heretic or Hexen so I can have the satisfaction of everything else dying then too. Unfortunately, Heretic and Hexen don't let you enter codes while dead, so you just can't win when when you're dead either way.

If you use ZDoom, you can type "KILL MONSTERS" on the console and it will do so. I think it works while dead also. Remember though, that if you use a kill command with anything other than "MONSTERS", it's a suicide command.

I sob uncontrollably for several hours. This is followed by a week of official mourning, and then I give him a state funeral.

After all that, I restart the level.

If I die whatever I was attempting is over. I restart from the beginning (of the map or episode or whatever I was attempting to play through) unless I've had enough for that session. I don't use savegames or multiple lives.

Grazza said:

I sob uncontrollably for several hours. This is followed by a week of official mourning, and then I give him a state funeral.

Yeah, that's what you tell us... but I saw you play on without pause and without the slightest show of concern immediately after (or even while) your Player died in CaesZ040.lmp!

myk said:

Yeah, that's what you tell us... but I saw you play on without pause and without the slightest show of concern immediately after (or even while) your Player died in CaesZ040.lmp!

:) Well, his heart may have stopped, but there was still hope, so I got him urgent medical attention. I fear he may not be able to pick up a weapon again though.

I suppose the cool answer to the question is really "I wait for an Arch-Vile to blast him over the exit linedef".

I sware and punch the wall or somthin then I usually quit and get somethin to eat. I cant play doom for a long time anymore now anyway it gets to boreing.

Back away from the keyboard, look around while regaining focus on reality. Sometimes I'll look back and watch whatever killed me march in place or do whatever it does. And, if I've mustered enough resolve, I'll ignore the turtlehead that's been trying to birth itself for the last hour and start on over.