Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackroat

I've finished Doom 2 on Nightmare for the first time

6 hours ago, Blackroat said:

The reason why I am a keyboard only Doom player is, I don't play any other fps games myself. All I play is Classic Doom, Heretic and Duke Nukem 3D. So, I did not bother learning to play with a mouse, which also means changing the habit of my right hand's using arrow keys which comes from my childhood. I can't aim much with a mouse either. I don't know how to use a mouse.

I played these games with arrow keys since I was a kid. And my fingers are used to playing this way.

I even play these games by always touching the shift button for speed.  If not, my playing gets broken. It is a matter of how one is used to playing.

A is for strafe left

S is for strafe right

Arrow keys, you know them.

Always touching Shift for speed.

Ctrl is to fire

Space is to open doors.

I don't care how you play, record a demo so we can verify that you indeed play like this or you might as well by talking to a brick wall because there is no way we can verify it.

39 minutes ago, Eggman07 said:

I don't care how you play, record a demo so we can verify that you indeed play like this or you might as well by talking to a brick wall because there is no way we can verify it.

Do you even know what to look for in a demo to determine its legitimacy?

8 hours ago, JezChrist said:

your level as a Doom play will exponentially increasd by getting used to play with a mouse.

And the maximum skill ceilling will also be raised.When NMing Plutonia with keyboard only, although it's probably possible, you'll understand why they are just some moves you just can't execute when playing without a mouse.

SAV88 and gggmork use keyboard only, and they're better players than we will ever be.

2 hours ago, Eggman07 said:

I posted 7 videos that show my playing on Nightmare above. You can see how I play from the videos I posted.  Cut that, please.

I recorded more videos, more maps but I think 7 videos were enough. If not, I can post more maps.

I passed some maps on Nightmare without dying, as well (I also did pistol start for some maps on Nightmare for the recording).

Edited by Blackroat

3 hours ago, Eggman07 said:

2 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Do you even know what to look for in a demo to determine its legitimacy?

And why care about it anyway?

If the OP lies about finishing the game on Nightmare skill (and I have no reason to think they do), it's their problem. It certainly doesn't affect me either way.

Come on guys, if it's not an extraordinary claim (like making a new world record) then recording is not necessary. A video is enough. He is not going to get any prize anyway.

Now, I was watching the videos and I thought at first, hey he is a bit slow (even with keyboard I'd react faster), surprised he beat some levels in nightmare. I've tried nightmare long time ago and it was nope for me. And I would play much faster with either keyboard or mouse now. So, maybe I should try again. Some levels are really deadly and I could only finish them with save spam if I ever tried nightmare. I know I can rely on special items and some strategies (and not just run and gun but hide a bit, although the respawning is what gets me, I feel like I can't just hide behind a wall and taking them slowly till it's safe like I'd do in UV) but it always seemed to much to me or I was impatient.

12 hours ago, Blackroat said:

The reason why I am a keyboard only Doom player is, I don't play any other fps games myself. All I play is Classic Doom, Heretic and Duke Nukem 3D. So, I did not bother learning to play with a mouse, which also means changing the habit of my right hand's using arrow keys which comes from my childhood. I can't aim much with a mouse either. I don't know how to use a mouse.

I played these games with arrow keys since I was a kid. And my fingers are used to playing this way.

I even play these games by always touching the shift button for speed.  If not, my playing gets broken. It is a matter of how one is used to playing.

A is for strafe left

S is for strafe right

Arrow keys, you know them.

Always touching Shift for speed.

Ctrl is to fire

Space is to open doors.

I would highly recommend playing with a mouse :)

There will be a limit to what you can do in doom with keyboard only. 

I also think you are playing with doom2 v.1.666. Make sure your doom2.wad is of the correct version (v1.9 size 14 604 584 byte)

2 hours ago, skogsto09 said:

I would highly recommend playing with a mouse :)

There will be a limit to what you can do in doom with keyboard only. 

I also think you are playing with doom2 v.1.666. Make sure your doom2.wad is of the correct version (v1.9 size 14 604 584 byte)

I play in GZDoom with 1366X768 pixels resolution and my video records are 800X600 pixels but youtube does not have a 800X600 pixel section unfortunately so I upload videos on Youtube with 640X480 pixes sadly.

800X600 looks just fine with full screen but 640X480 looks bad. There is a big quality lose when it turns to VGA resolution on Youtube.

I don't know why resolution sections have to jump to 720p after 640X480 pixels on Youtube.

My pc cannot handle 720p video record while playing. The game gets broken.

Edited by Blackroat

1 hour ago, Nikku4211 said:

Pogchamp, m8. You're a true pro.

Can I say pog?

It's nothing like finishing Plutonia and TNT on Nightmare, after all :D

I play Plutonia and TNT on UV Fast. My next aim is to finish them on UV Fast. UV Fast is enough for Final Doom.

1 hour ago, Blackroat said:

I play in GZDoom with 1366X768 pixels resolution and my video records are 800X600 pixels but youtube does not have a 800X600 pixel section unfortunately so I upload videos on Youtube with 640X480 pixes sadly.

800X600 looks just fine with full screen but 640X480 looks bad. There is a big quality lose when it turns to VGA resolution on Youtube.

I don't know why resolution sections have to jump to 720p after 640X480 pixels on Youtube.

Have you tried using OBS? It doesn't seem to drop frames much when recording.

Yes, He can play on nightmare now!!!

Good job, Blackroat ;)

Glad you persevere with this. :D

2 hours ago, Koko Ricky said:

Have you tried using OBS? It doesn't seem to drop frames much when recording.

I haven't tried it. Only Bandicam.

These days, my bandicam also gives errors while recording. I am gonna ask this to somebody who understands about PC also.

Edited by Blackroat

Great job! I never actually cared much for Nightmare since I am more of a completionist person (I really like having 100% kills and secrets). It's awesome to see you conquer Doom 2 on NM!

Also, LMFAO at the loser demanding a demo file to prove you actually did Nightmare legit. Apparently, it takes too much IQ to look at the videos he posted.

1 minute ago, Umbra said:

Great job! I never actually cared much for Nightmare since I am more of a completionist person (I really like having 100% kills and secrets). It's awesome to see you conquer Doom 2 on NM!

Also, LMFAO at the loser demanding a demo file to prove you actually did Nightmare legit. Apparently, it takes too much IQ to look at the videos he posted.

Well, exchanging demo files have been the way of sharing doom accomplishments since 1994. Its the foundation of speedrunning, and there are strict rules that apply to it.  Also playing back the actual demo in your favorite source port would be a much better method to just capture the video itself.
Rather than how its done here.

So there are many reasons as to why you should record a demo file. Before you start calling everyone a loser, you should make sure you understand things more in-depth than you apparantly do.  

Nice job. I personally never finished Doom 1 or Doom 2 on Nightmare. Never really cared that much of it myself. Maybe I should try too.

Also unless it's something extraordinary or if there are rules against it for a competition, I don't see anything wrong with a video. Hell, I think even DW's Ironman League accepts videos. I know I played it a few years back and all my submissions were video and not demos (Not sure if the rules changed. I stopped playing it because I was just kind of out of it. )

So yeah, congrats and good job.

3 hours ago, Blackroat said:

I think you missed my point here, you are using an outdated version of doom2.wad. I can tell from you first video on how underhalls is designed. 
Changing source ports won`t change or fix that. 

6 minutes ago, skogsto09 said:

Well, exchanging demo files have been the way of sharing doom accomplishments since 1994. Its the foundation of speedrunning, and there are strict rules that apply to it.  Also playing back the actual demo in your favorite source port would be a much better method to just capture the video itself.
Rather than how its done here.

So there are many reasons as to why you should record a demo file. Before you start calling everyone a loser, you should make sure you understand things more in-depth than you apparantly do.  

Except I didn't call everyone a loser, and I highly doubt anyone serious enough cares about requesting a set of demo lumps right away when everything OP is doing is sharing his happiness for having beaten Nightmare mode. Also, the guy is "apparantly" just a casual player happy with his achievement, he probably doesn't care about people demanding .lmp demos.

12 hours ago, Eggman07 said:

Who cares?  He is sharing his joy of playing and his accomplishment.

31 minutes ago, skogsto09 said:

I think you missed my point here, you are using an outdated version of doom2.wad. I can tell from you first video on how underhalls is designed. 
Changing source ports won`t change or fix that. 

What is wrong with the outdated version?

I wanted to finish Doom 2 on Nightmare since my teens and it came true at the age of 30.

9 minutes ago, Umbra said:

Except I didn't call everyone a loser, and I highly doubt anyone serious enough cares about requesting a set of demo lumps right away when everything OP is doing is sharing his happiness for having beaten Nightmare mode. Also, the guy is "apparantly" just a casual player happy with his achievement, he probably doesn't care about people demanding .lmp demos.

Yes, and I advice him to record a demo so it will be easier to capture the video he wants to share from there. 
I also told him that he is using the wrong version of the actual .wad file. Levels are designed differently from one version to another. 
Might be useful to know before he invest more time into playing the wrong version of the game, don`t you think? 

The guy does not know how the demo system works, if he knew he would use it to just capture the video from it like everyone else does.
He would also then quickly get feedback that he`s demos would desync because they were recorded with the wrong iwad version.
All it takes is to include "source-port.exe -record demo -warp 02 -skill 5" and you will have the resulting demo.lmp file to record back and capture video from.

Do not always strict yourself, if you achieve something hard to achieve but without strong evidence, that might be ok.
Also, it's not like a speedrun world record or something, normal videos are enough for playthroughs.

Edited by Hitboi

I think he wasn't talking about you. I think he was talking about the other guy who just won't acknowledge OP's victory unless it is Demo and only if its a Demo.

@skogsto09

6 minutes ago, Blackroat said:

What is wrong with the outdated version?

I wanted to finish Doom 2 on Nightmare since my teens and it came true at the age of 30.

"I can tell from you first video on how underhalls is designed. "

Levels are designed differently from earlier versions of the iwad. 

2 minutes ago, skogsto09 said:

"I can tell from you first video on how underhalls is designed. "

Levels are designed differently from earlier versions of the iwad. 

Same enviroments with same enemies. How are they designed differently? I see same Doom 2 on Youtube.

5 minutes ago, Blackroat said:

Same enviroments with same enemies. How are they designed differently? I see same Doom 2 on Youtube.

The environments are not the same. They have subtle differences.