Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Muusi

Gush about anything related to Pinball!

Since this is a Pinball thread, insert the best piece of music ever composed for the genre. Still own Pinball Dreams for my Amiga 500.

I love Pinball with all my heart. Some of my earliest memories involve my mom leaving me with a handful of coins in front of an Indiana Jones Pinball machine while she went shopping. The same place also had an Addams Family one but i always played the Indiana Jones one. I miss seeing real Pinball machines all over the place and nowadays the only places where you get to play them are amusement parks. I love how mechanical and intricate the real ones are and one day i'm buying one myself. But for now i have to be happy with virtual Pinball.

What's your favorite? Maybe the 3D Space Cadett table for old Windows versions? Did you know it's kind of a demo of sorts and more tables for that game exist? 

My favorite is Devil's Island Pinball, a standalone game that's running on the same engine as the more famous Balls of Steel by Wildfire Studios.

5502-devil-s-island-pinball-windows-screenshot-full-table-view.jpg.b32213a896b6b032970b2a6b4db4949e.jpg

5504-devil-s-island-pinball-windows-screenshot-scrolling-view.jpg.610a6b103ba1555858263f25b32db9c6.jpg

The time spent on this game on my first PC equipped with Windows 98SE and Voodoo 2 graphics was time well spent. Balls of Steel had good tables but none as good as Devil's Island. With a patch, this game runs on Windows 10 too and it's gooooooood.

I also had an another excellent Pinball game called Adventure Pinball: Forgotten Island, which was a way bigger game with tables with different objectives and you could actually complete a table like a stage. There should be way more games like this.

7549_qxe3al2f2mgwqwqejjjh.jpg.7380cedcd53541d03efec9c9ee2f24c1.jpg

2188-iso3.jpg.a0350139d0f1187dbab96d5c5c042e47.jpg

7549_qxe3al2f2mgwqwqejjjh.jpg.7380cedcd53541d03efec9c9ee2f24c1.jpg

159966-adventure-pinball-forgotten-island-windows-screenshot-ooga.jpg

For more modern games, Zen Studios makes some amazing stuff with Zen Pinball for PlayStation and Pinball FX for PC. 

What are some of your favorite Pinball games?

Pinball is awesome and by law every shop on the planet should have atleast one. 

Heh kinda late to the party, but I had a recent pinball renaissance of my own, revisiting the old classic video pinball games (Pinball Fantasies, Extreme Pinball, etc.) but also the newfangled The Pinball Arcade, Williams Pinball for Android etc.

I often wondered how come Doom didn't get made into a pinball machine back in its heyday. With Doom Comic art, to boot ;-)

Pinball FX3 is really good and free to download. When the pandemic started, they gave out a lot of free tables to encourage people to stay home.

I remember playing the terminator 2 pinball machine a long time ago. Pretty sure it would say you’re terminated or hasta la vista baby when you had game over, can’t remember though. 

On 6/11/2021 at 9:55 PM, Muusi said:

Adventure Pinball: Forgotten Island

Oh hey, I have a copy of that game! Played it briefly as a kid but never touched it again - been meaning to set up a WinXP VM so I could play it. Wonder when the hell I'm gonna get around to that...

On 6/11/2021 at 2:55 PM, Muusi said:

I love Pinball with all my heart.

This might be the most wholesome sentence I've ever read. 

The only pinball game I've played obsessively was Sonic Spinball. I played it repeatedly to the point that I could beat the game without dying and could probably have done it blind-folded.

52_1.jpg

Out of all the machines I've played this is by far my favorite. The original 1979 KISS Pinball machine (which Trent Reznor reportedly owns a machine of!) I'll nominate Black Knight and Xenon as runner-ups. 

There was a local diner I would always go to as a kid with Terminator 2, Star Wars, Last Action Hero and Funhouse pinball machines. I was there quite a bit and would spend everything I had on those machines. When I lived in Denver for a short time in my 20s there was an excellent arcade downtown with a wall of machines as well as a building full of all kinds of arcade games, and I spent many weekends there. The best part was that every machine had a cup holder welded to it because it was also a bar.

I only first heard about The Pinball Arcade for pc and Android a few years ago, but it had a bunch of Williams tables and some of my favorites on there were Pinbot, Bride of Pinbot and Getaway, but they lost the license to Williams tables about a month after I had it, and had to wait several years for Pinball FX3 to start releasing their versions. While there's still no Pinbot there are some great emulated tables and I really get into it every few weeks or so for a few days at a time.

I also really like Alien Crush and Dragon's Fury (Devil's Crush) for the TurboGrafx and Genesis, as well as Demon's Tilt on Steam. They're half pinball and half fantasy action games, really fun!

Pinball are part of my soul, don't know why.

I had three years old, and my father take me to an arcade salon.
I was really young to play most games, but my father let me handle the right flipper and he got the left one, while he was doing juggles to keep me on his knee so i can look to the table.
My first table was the Terminator 2, and i still love to play it whenever i found it on old places

I was really ear to adquire it for my own, but when i saved all the money to buy it, it was already sold :(

My first PC pinball was a demo of Psycho Pinball, the spooky table. I really loved it, i played it like hell along Doom when i was 4 years old.

Later, on a magazine that come with a CD-Rom, i got a another pinball game, it was called Domensch or something like that, it was really good, too

Sonic Spinball was a dream come true, merging Sonic, my all time hero, with the pinball i loved soo much.
Pokemon Pinball for gameboy was also a game i really enjoyed backthen.

And i always found that i enter on a special state of mind when playing pinbal games, so i searched for that.
Guess what, i'm not the only one. ;)

On the same film, there is a scene of Tommy reaching a shining light, that turns to be a pinball table buried on a scrapyard.
That always was mysterious for some reason for me.
Then i found this, and i become ZEN.
The scene is the same of this cover art, people seeking for the shining light of a pinbal table on a scrapyard.

Two great songs, and really nice memory, enjoy! ;)

I still have a lot of really fond memories of playing the Pinball game that came with Windows XP. My mum kept a old Dell PC (think she still has it!) in her dressing room and I'd often hop on that after school and play for a bit before doing homework. The music still kinda slaps.

1 hour ago, [McD]James said:

Pinball FX3 is really good and free to download. When the pandemic started, they gave out a lot of free tables to encourage people to stay home.

Funny you should mention... I used to be the world record holder on the venom table for a good long while, but didn't really bother defending that position for a couple reasons not quite related to pinball, but related to community affairs a couple years back when the studio made adjustments to some of the physics in the game and implicitly branded some of their top players and contributors cheaters kind of under the breath... That aside, the tables they make are pretty decent overall, and I think anybody who is into pinball should give some of them a look...

Funnily enough, I'm not actually the pinball nerd in this household, my wife owns a Williams "No Fear" table that we have our living room, so anything I know about pinball is basically just knowledge imparted on me in a somewhat "passive" way, or due to association, if you will.

History lessons nobody asked for aside, one thing I've always wanted to actually to see come to fruition was the "bang back" movie, because it turns out pinball has... quite the interesting history, so interesting in fact, that some lobbies in the US wanted to get pinball treated as gambling so it could be banned across basically all the states, one such lobby was the movie industry, who happened to see a serious competitor in pinball machines of that era. Well, "bang back" hasn't seen the light of day, but there's a trailer. DailyMotion will have to do, I'm afraid:

If you want some pinball history:

@Nine Inch Heels I own the Venom table, but for some reason, the high scores aren't loading on that particular table's leaderboard right now. The one I've played the most of is Spider-Man. I think I was maybe 48th for classic single play (not a fan of playing with all the upgrades) at one point, but that's been knocked down to 78th at the present.

I wish we'd get the Ninja Gaiden and Street Fighter tables again, but it's unlikely that will ever happen. 

15 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

The one I've played the most of is Spider-Man.

The spider man table is pretty fun, because it's generous with regards to score and has lots of (pseudo) multiballs you can go ham with, so I can see the appeal... I liked the venom table not only due to art style and theme, but also due to the table "OST"...

Other than that, the world war hulk table seems pretty decent, but I've never spent much time with that one, and I also like the fear itself table with its magnet gimmick... It's been so long that I don't even remember all the tables I bought back in the PBFX2 era, which was when I still played it actively, but my understanding is that PBFX3 is basically just a technical upgrade, rather than a gameplay related one, so I think tables bought and scores achieved in PBFX2 should carry over...

I used to love pinball, but sadly it has no interest to me any longer between time constraints and other hobbies taking precedence.

Not quite as good as Heels' world record, but a local arcade had an Addams Family pinball machine and some Camelot themed machine that I set the #1 spot for back in like 2002.  Just for fun I went back in probably 2013(?) to see and the Addams Family top score was still mine - they'd gotten rid of the Camelot themed one.

2 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I also really like Alien Crush and Dragon's Fury (Devil's Crush) for the TurboGrafx and Genesis, as well as Demon's Tilt on Steam. They're half pinball and half fantasy action games, really fun!

Simulated pinball feels pretty hollow to me, even with the newer sims having near-perfect physics and visuals with all the sounds simulated and force feedback -- but it's still not the same, force feedback is a crude replacement and it still can't match the tactility of real pinball; the sound and slight vibration of the ball rolling across the table, the satisfying shudder and thunk of the flippers, and the tension of pulling back the lever. But I love love love the Naxat Crush games (and Demon's Tilt, playing on Switch with a flip grip is godly) because they're not just a simulation, they fully lean into being video games. And Devil's Crush is like an album cover in pinball game form.

Anyway I'm not any good at pinball, I just like how pinball machines look and feel.

Pinball was declared gambling by the Swedish government in 1982, so due to the requirement of a gambling license, they've always been very hard to find around here.

:(

3 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

I still have a lot of really fond memories of playing the Pinball game that came with Windows XP. My mum kept a old Dell PC (think she still has it!) in her dressing room and I'd often hop on that after school and play for a bit before doing homework. The music still kinda slaps.

No more space cadet sadly...

And, I had the luxury of visiting an arcade place just meters from my home as a kid and enjoyed the hell out of pinball. Sadly, I can't remember the exact name of that pinball but was the typical "shooting ufo's and save galaxy" theme.

It was fun....

I remember playing the hell out of an Addams Family table in the lobby of a movie theatre. Good times.

I haven't had much of an opportunity to enjoy pinball outside of that. Well, I've played the video game versions, I just wish the real tables were more common nowadays...

@Nine Inch Heels One of the things I really like about Pinball FX3 that I've never heard anyone else mention is the game's tour guide. She's always so happy and enthusiastic about people playing more pinball.

On 6/11/2021 at 3:55 PM, Muusi said:

Since this is a Pinball thread, insert the best piece of music ever composed for the genre.

That's easy

Pinball Fantasies.... the best pinball game EVER made... It was an absolute joy to play on an Amiga back in the 90s:

Speaking of video pinball....can anyone recall a mid 1990s table with a witch/cauldron theme? I remember it was one of the first "realistic" 3D ones for PC (albeit with a fixed pre-rendered perspective) but it also included a classic scrolling mode. I'm unsure if it was part of the Pro Pinball series. Not Psycho Pinball for sure...but I simply cannot remember its name. At the time I found it somewhat drab and boring, being used to the more colorful and sound-rich tables by DI, EPIC etc., but maybe I misjudged it...

Terminator 2: Judgement Day Pinball has probably the most memorable soundtrack I've ever heard from a pinball arcade game. The whole thing has a badass, thrumming synth vibe to it:

Holy crap my Pinball thread came alive! 

I've made some improvements for my video pinball setup. I previously modified an arcade stick to have buttons on its sides for Pinball and now i opened it up again and made force feedback for it with a 5v solenoid that hammers against the controllers metal bottom when the side buttons are pressed. Really makes virtual pinball more enjoyable. Now I'm thinking of adding a button for launching the ball. 

Screenshot_20210825-192614_Gallery_Go.png.e1777bb19ed50feef301f3872770087b.png