Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Biz!

Ultimate Doom: How we saw '95 [CANCELLED]

I am not the right man to run this. I put this on my lowest priority list and didn't even test the maps given by others, plus I have school right now, so it's even lower on my priority list

....why not just pass the project onto someone else thats willing? Theres clearly enough interest with 7 pages of comments.

2 hours ago, Redoom said:

I am not the right man to run this. I put this on my lowest priority list and didn't even test the maps given by others, plus I have school right now, so it's even lower on my priority list

Rather than cancel it outright, why not offer it up to someone else to run?

If you're feeling overwhelmed, I get that sometimes the only solution seems to be to nuke everything and pretend it never happened, but take a deep breath, give yourself a few hours, come back and see if anyone else wants to finish the project off.

This project's deadline was literally around in 2023 or something and you just give up? lmao

Too bad, because this project got some really interesting maps in there... Please, someone take this project back to life!

This'll do it if someone else decides to pick this up

Spoiler

E1M1 - Walter confetti
E1M2 - Sergeant_Mark_IV
E1M3 - DFF
E1M4 - roadworx
E1M5 - Captain Toenail
E1M6 - Mike_C
E1M8 - The Kingslayer
E1M9 - axdoomer
E2M1 - Sergeant_Mark_IV
E2M2 - magicsofa
E2M3 - DavidN
E2M5 - sluggard
E2M6 - Bobby "lolmcswagger"
E2M7 - LoneAlpha2407
E2M8 and E2M9 - lokbustam257
E3M1 - Worriedidiot
E3M2 - SilverMiner
E3M3 - The Kingslayer
E3M4 - ognjen
E3M5 - Noiser
E3M6 and E4M1 - Vaeros
E3M7 and E4M9 - sincity2100
E3M8 - Engired
E3M9 - lokbustam257
E4M2 - C3ntralPr0cessing
E4M4 - Darmak

E4M5 - The Kingslayer

E4M6 - Vaeros

Deadline : 12/9/2023

Edited by sluggard : corrected list

19 hours ago, Redoom said:

I'm gonna cancel this project, if anybody else wants to do this go ahead, I have organized this very poorly, I am very sorry.

If you're encouraging someone else to do what you tried to do, surely it'd be best to make the maps available for that potential next person to use

Here's the most recent mapslot listings from the OP (with DFF added to that and Egg Boy removed since he dropped). 

Spoiler

Roles:

E1M1:Walter confetti

E1M2:Sergeant_Mark_IV

E1M3: DFF

E1M4: roadworx

E1M5:Captain Toenail

E1M6:Mike_C

E1M7:Dusty_Rhodes

E1M8:The Kingslayer

E1M9:axdoomer

E2M1:Sergeant_Mark_IV

E2M2:magicsofa

E2M3:DavidN

E2M4:

E2M5:sluggard

E2M6:Bobby “lolmcswagger”

E2M7:LoneAlpha2401

E2M8:lokbustam257

E2M9:lokbustam257

E3M1:Worriedidiot

E3M2:SilverMiner

E3M3:The Kingslayer

E3M4:ognjen

E3M5:Noiser

E3M6:Vaeros

E3M7:sincity2100

E3M8:Engired

E3M9:lokbustam257

E4M1:Vaeros

E4M2:C3ntralPr0cessing

E4M3:ZeMystic

E4M4:Darmak

E4M5:The Kingslayer

E4M6:Vaeros

E4M7:Super Mighty G

E4M8:Darmak

E4M9:sincity2100

Deadline : 12/10/2023

5 hours ago, Redoom said:

It was low on priority to begin with. I have full time school and work, its 80 unless I cram school or work to make 70 a week. 15-20 is devoted to mapping because before I begin, I take account for others who may be interested in the project, including keeping a backup, and providing the work online incase anything happens to me, or life. 

1 hour ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

So, does somebody care to pick this up? It'd be really sad to let all these great maps go to waste.

I'm thinking about taking the lead, but I'll probably revive this project around December or maybe next year because I'm still working on some other stuff right now. so you can count on me anytime.

I could try and pick this up. Me and Redoom tried a few different Ultimate Doom projects together before he settled on this. I could make us a Discord too, for easier communication. Life has really gotten in the way of my maps but I am super passionate about this project and I love what I've been seeing from you guys. I don't think Ultimate Doom gets enough love from mappers

25 minutes ago, CBM said:

ehh...

2023?? really?

Good catch, I was thinking that too!

To add to that point, goals should be set reasonably. If approximately each person helps out to make a map, 6 months is suitable, 3 for the stretch goal , 3 months extra just in case. Proper planning so it's more secure how many people are motivated & available aswell. Then lastly, "somewhere" here on the forums (such as a sticky) it states to not setup a CP without the right experience/ knowledge, as you need to be capable of merging maps and setting clear definitions of the format/other, sometimes go in and weed out a bug or two in a map, or composite maps together, "cohesion", qa assurance.

I think the best approach is don't take a community project seriously until the facilitator has demonstrated consistent content development. Says / does/ and done. 

55 minutes ago, rd. said:

Here's the most recent mapslot listings from the OP (with DFF added to that and Egg Boy removed since he dropped). 

Hide contents

Roles:

E1M1:Walter confetti

E1M2:Sergeant_Mark_IV

E1M3: DFF

E1M4: roadworx

E1M5:Captain Toenail

E1M6:Mike_C

E1M7:Dusty_Rhodes

E1M8:The Kingslayer

E1M9:axdoomer

E2M1:Sergeant_Mark_IV

E2M2:magicsofa

E2M3:DavidN

E2M4:

E2M5:sluggard

E2M6:Bobby “lolmcswagger”

E2M7:LoneAlpha2401

E2M8:lokbustam257

E2M9:lokbustam257

E3M1:Worriedidiot

E3M2:SilverMiner

E3M3:The Kingslayer

E3M4:ognjen

E3M5:Noiser

E3M6:Vaeros

E3M7:sincity2100

E3M8:Engired

E3M9:lokbustam257

E4M1:Vaeros

E4M2:C3ntralPr0cessing

E4M3:ZeMystic

E4M4:Darmak

E4M5:The Kingslayer

E4M6:Vaeros

E4M7:Super Mighty G

E4M8:Darmak

E4M9:sincity2100

Put me on E2M4, I am almost finished with E2M1

Again, somebody should make a new thread.

Just made a new thread. I'm pretty new here, so I'll see if anyone else wants to lead, but if not I can for sure. I'm not working on any other projects at the moment.

52 minutes ago, CBM said:

ehh...

2023?? really?

It's supposed to celebrate some anniversary of Doom, I think.

Maybe I can take E2M5 from @magicsofa and place it into my Doom Odyssey sequel as E2M5. PM me if you want it in, if not no worries.

43 minutes ago, rescue86k said:

To add to that point, goals should be set reasonably. If approximately each person helps out to make a map, 6 months is suitable, 3 for the stretch goal , 3 months extra just in case. Proper planning so it's more secure how many people are motivated & available aswell. Then lastly, "somewhere" here on the forums (such as a sticky) it states to not setup a CP without the right experience/ knowledge, as you need to be capable of merging maps and setting clear definitions of the format/other, sometimes go in and weed out a bug or two in a map, or composite maps together, "cohesion", qa assurance.

I think the best approach is don't take a community project seriously until the facilitator has demonstrated consistent content development. Says / does/ and done. 

The reason for that it's to celebrate Doom's 30th Anniversary which I think that amount of time is kinda reasonable for me. but project lead's motivations to cancel the project like that when people are making maps for it (including myself) it's just bothers me. 

Anyway... Apparently someone else made another thread about this project which things make me very confused now. lol... Because i've been thinking of making another thread announcement about this (not now, but in the future) when I have my personal projects done. but I guess Kingslayer is the project leader now or...?

Edited by Vaeros

22 minutes ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

It's supposed to celebrate some anniversary of Doom, I think.

Thanks for the info

40 minutes ago, rescue86k said:

Apparently an anniversary of Doom but yes, that timespan is too long

7 minutes ago, Vaeros said:

The reason for that it's to celebrate Doom's 30th Anniversary which I think that amount of time is kinda reasonable for me. but project lead's motivations to cancel the project like that when people are making maps for it (including myself) it's just bothers me. 

Anyway... Apparently someone else made another thread about this project which things make me very confused now. lol... Because i've been thinking of making another thread announcement about this (not now, but in the future) when I have my personal projects done.

Agreed

I hope the project gets salvaged

I realized OP is probably feeling very under pressure from all the negativity.

On one hand, he did nuke the first post and such, and now we have to collect the submissions by hand. On the other, he probably felt overwhelmed, and defintiely had reasons beyond his control to put an end to his involvement.

Please let's be a bit more considerate and a bit easier on him. There are enough interested people to continue the project under a new torch. It's not the end of the world.

Yikes! You should've thought about the wide variety of solutions before immediately nuking everything.

Try to salvage the OP & hand over the leadership to someone willing to take over it.

1 hour ago, Gustavo6046 said:

I realized OP is probably feeling very under pressure from all the negativity.

What pressure? The thread was inactive for weeks. Actually OP's post announcing the cancelation of the project was the first on a while.
OP could had just abandoned it, but he deleted the first post out of pettiness. We feel like we wasted our time on this project and everyone has the right to be upset at it, and OP could learn a lesson from it and police it's future behaviors.  That's not how adult people should behave.
OP says he's going to school now, imagine if he pulls the same thing on a group project for school?