Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bdubzzz

The Resurgence of: DWIronman League.

Oops, I failed to record a demo of my attempt (or rather, I mistyped the command to do so), so I'll be sitting this month out. Only made it to MAP03, though, so not a big loss. My only experience with the wad prior to this run was playing MAP01 a couple months back, and I remember dying in the map back then, so I guess this was still an improvement over that.

Blind attempt  Dead: Map 3

Lots of fumbling due to playing on PrBoom+ after lots of time on GZDoom.  I use WASD for movement on GZDoom but my PrBoom config is ESDF an that throws off my muscle memory.  Not that anyone's going to watch the whole demo; it's slow and cautious for the most part with several failed attempts at baiting infights.  Putting down the last enemy on map 2 at 14 health did not bode well for my long term prospects.

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 -complevel 9

dwiron_resurge_cnr.zip

Standard, Category 1
Dead on: MAP01 with 39/81 kills
Time of death: at 4:47.
DSDA Doom v 19.0 -complevel 9 (First time using DSDA Doom v19.0 I think. It's been already three weeks ago that I recorded this)

Spoiler

Dat lack of health yo. I guess this might be a map that rewards audacity and boldly going forward, instead of me pussy-footing around and slowly getting my health chipped away. Added to my list for future playthroughs :).

resurg-dwironman-pecca.zip

Cat 1 wasted in map03 after about 20 mins or so

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x747hhx28hsade8/dtresurge.lmp?dl=1

I was expecting a map01 start room packed with revs and chaingunners, but that's just coop, where I've played this before

There's also a useful arch vile near the exit of map03 that can help you exit the map as a corpse.  I've never played any more of that map, and I think it shows in the demo, and subsequent lame death

Originally I said the "deadline" for this was September 4th, 2021. Tbh I think it should just end by tonight (11:59pm EST) instead of bleeding on over in to September. Hopefully next month's ironman will be posted on September 1st. So anyway this is the last day to get your attempt in. ;)

Garbage run coming through.

Spoiler

Dead in map 03, after eating a shitton of damage from bad play. Completed map 02 in 15:10, having practiced map 01 just to make sure I only mostly embarrass myself and not absolutely. Ah well, I'm just making things more exciting for the Unclebowl and tricking Suitepee into lowering his guard.

https://youtu.be/hFnD-PsjiiM

Category 3 run, since I was doing practice runs (and I played this way back in 2014) and it just so happened my second practice run ended up becoming the actual run because I made it to map 4. Died to a Hell Knight on the last key trap, oh well.

The important thing is that I closed the gap on @an_mutt in the Unclebowl to 5-3, hopefully beginning my proper comeback over the next few months.

Ironman_Resurgence_hc.zip

Category 1, Dead in MAP01 with 29 kills.

Spoiler

I didn't see the pack of Specters until I had run right into their midst.

After wiping out so quickly, I went back with saves to see what I'd missed. And it's honestly impressive how there's not a single bit of respite to be found in those first few levels - every single square foot of these compact layouts places you under fire from one direction or another. That was brutal. Cool pick for this month.

Category 3 Dead on Map 08.. well I wasn't going to even submit an attempt for this wad since I don't want to win my own hosted ironman :p .. did a last minute attempt earlier and died on Map 08.

Also the leaderboard is kind of updated but I haven't confirmed the last like 10 submissions so if you have no comment next to your name it's not confirmed and you may be a few places higher than other people who died on your map. :^) 

DWIronman-resurgence-dubz.zip