Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Nintendo are being jerks again

https://www.upcomer.com/riptide-cancels-project-tournaments-at-nintendos-request/

I don't really care about Smash Bros. but this is so incredibly stupid. Brawl servers are no longer active, and the tournament in question wasn't going to be running pirated copies of Brawl. People booked flights and hotel reservations months ago then Nintendo does this at the last moment. There's no sense to any of this and they're just shooting themselves in the foot. 

I really do not understand why anyone is surprised at this point. Jerks gonna jerk, as it were. People should learn and not keep rewarding such behaviour by continuing to support them but, well, we all know how far that particular concept goes.

2 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

I really do not understand why anyone is surprised at this point. Jerks gonna jerk, as it were. People should learn and not keep rewarding such behaviour by continuing to support them but, well, we all know how far that particular concept goes.

I don't think anyone is the least bit surprised but this never ceases to be any less frustrating and pathetic. 

Considering that the Smash community is loaded with pedophiles and groomers, I can understand if not endorse it. 

Jesus, I hope I don't have those drawings of Super Mario Brothers 10 that my brother and I made when we were kids.

(We assumed they'd be at 10 by the time we were old enough to make videogames.)

They better not take my "Goomba that hops on a spring idea"!

Yeah, fuck Nintendo; go live in a goddamn bubble if you don't want people playing with your "babies". They're as bad as Disney with their ips. They want these characters to belong to the world, but the world can't lay a finger on them.

Fan projects are what carry an IP on and on. I mean not like Doom... That pretty much died once people could make their own levels. Imagine a thirty year old game creating two blockbuster sequels, and a renewed love for the franchise. Couldn't happen.

lol?
Can we not pretend that Nintendo is doing it out of some sense of morality for the ugliness in the Smash scene instead of the gross stranglehold they want to have over every IP in their possession? They throw their weight around because they know they they can outlast any kind of legal proceeding over a dispute like the Slippi thing the article mentions, not because they care about whether the scene is full of good people or not. Their interest is in snuffing out any longevity of their older products so they can push the shiny new ones, because they still cling onto an archaic mindset.

This is why I hate being a Nintendo fan: They make good games, yet treat their loyal fans like dogshit

8 minutes ago, Jello said:

They're as bad as Disney with their ips.

They are not as bad, they are the Disney of the video game industry.

They just have a few stars, but they exploit them to the limit.

And when the stars are getting old, they reboot em with a new face.
Its the same old game as ever, but with a new and shiny hat!

Poor Maryo Cyrus!

Still, we can't help but loves some of those stars!

I just hope no one ends like Peachemi Lovato.

Go on Cinderzelda, dethrone those twinrova step-sisters!

Every day I am validated more in believing the fact that ip laws are a cancer. Really does suck liking stuff that's managed by people who not only do not care about their fans, which is about the usual, but seem to actively dislike them.

49 minutes ago, Jello said:

Jesus, I hope I don't have those drawings of Super Mario Brothers 10 that my brother and I made when we were kids.

You reminded me of this (go to 3:16)

Honestly, I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't gone after communities such as SMWCentral or Zelda Classic, especially after Mario Maker 1 & 2 released, as well as the NES Classic.

3 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Considering that the Smash community is loaded with pedophiles and groomers, I can understand if not endorse it. 

Except this has nothing to do with pedophiles, Nintendo gets trigger happy the moment they see a mod that gets attention, even if the base game will never see any kind of rerelease. Fangames are no exception, since 379 fangames were DMCA'd back in December alone. Hell, I've even seen them go after YouTubers who've played some of these fangames. It's sickening how greedy they've gotten since around 2010.

Nintendo's certainly had zero interest in the competitive gaming scene for a long time and regularly gets litigious with people holding gaming tournaments using their stuff. For some odd reason though, they've more or less tolerated Pokemon-related tournaments, but regularly like to play cat & mouse with the Smash community. I've seen instances where they'll initially shut down a tournament and then relented later and other times where they'll just ignore it. The last time I remember them bringing the hammer down hard was on an online Smash tournament last year that was going to be organised using Twitch since the pandemic killed their ability to hold one at a convention centre as usual. They might relent on this one later or they might not.

Nintendo is really old-school when it comes to "protecting their IP" and really should come to the realisation that stuff like fan-made content and gaming tournaments is actually a net positive and that squashing this kind of thing only sullies their reputation among their fanbase. They did make that kind of realisation regarding YouTube stuff since they created a partner-program and have stopped slapping people's videos with DMCA claims, so there's that slither of hope they might stop being gigantic dick-weasels to the Smash scene.

I will never forgive Nintendo for not having called their console the Swiitch.

3 hours ago, Kinsie said:

Imagine if the Melee community put their passion and dedication towards literally anything other than trying to appease a senpai who has no interest in them. Like playing one of the many other wonderful niche fighting games dying for a passionate community. Or showering.

A lot of Smash players don't find other fighting games the least bit appealing. A lot of them are also aggressively opposed to motion inputs in fighting games. They also constantly say dumb shit like this online:

smash.png

"The reason Samurai Showdown [sic] has all these things Samurai Shodown has always had, is because of a game that arrived after Samurai Shodown had already four games (and a badly-received 3D experiment) released did them; in a different fashion"

The level of delusion here checks out. Let us not forget that the neutral game has been a thing in FGs since the original release of Street Fighter II in 1991 at least.

But also, fuck Nintendo.

11 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Now I'm not the least bit familiar with thr Smash community, but that's a pretty serious accusation to throw out there without any citations.

What I'm puzzled about is why none of these venues have tried just being the venue - host a fan organized "character fighting game tournament" - it's clear to everybody that it's Smash and it's clear that Project+ or ProjectM or whatever they are calling it these days will be required to play, and you need insider information to get setup with that. But there's no mention of this anywhere official, there's no instructions, there's no use of Nintendo's precious goddamn trademarks or anything else their blood-leech lawyers can latch onto. Free entry with purchase of commemorative water bottle (think, free Sigil IWAD with purchase of Buckethead soundtrack and pewter Romero head). They couldn't touch this and it would make them so damn mad. I'd laugh endlessly.

But for some reason we keep seeing the same thing - officially organized SMASH tournament! Check our website for instructions on how to setup Project+! Oh shit nevermind Nintendo called us on the phone and used big bad scary words, now it's canceled.

I had a similar idea, Quasar. I think there’s a distinct lack of anyone who knows anything about law whatsoever “high up” in the Smash community because they just keep making this same mistake again and again. Do so in a way where there can be no claims that “trademarked material was used” and in a way that makes it clear it isn’t licensed or endorsed by Nintendo. They literally do not have the power to prevent everyone from going to a location and playing this game, there’s just some simple changes they need to make.

It’s weird that this has happened so many times by now - you’d think after the first tourney got shut down there’d have been some basic level of research done to learn how to prevent it in future..

Edit: (Arbitrary joke about no one in the Smash community knowing anything about law because it’s a game for 10 year olds goes here)

To clarify Mr. Freeze's point about the pedophile/groomer allegations- I was just as confused as the rest of you folks. If you Google "smash community", the next word it will autocomplete to is "allegations".
Here is an article about it, there's many more links and information you can find with a quick Google search, although I want to point out that these are ALLEGATIONS. Not proven in a court of law or anything so do not take this information as gospel.

I will echo Liberation in saying that it's not a great idea to be attacking other communities over something that a corporation is doing that is independent of those communities.
tl;dr communities can be toxic, fuck Nintendo, etc. back to your regularly scheduled corporate lamenting.

Good things about being a Nintendo fan: The games are great

Bad things about being a Nintendo fan: list.jpg.7196b6bd0f0c548cd7300db1219778b3.jpg