Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

dsda-doom source port [v0.24.3]

7 minutes ago, kraflab said:

Is anyone else having an issue with mouse after this update? I can't notice a difference on my end.

Nope

On 8/20/2021 at 3:50 PM, kraflab said:
  • Removed obsolete quickstart window setting

As someone who used this, what has replaced it?

1 minute ago, BiZ said:

As someone who used this, what has replaced it?

You can restart the demo in-game, which already let's you buffer your quick start. If you're having trouble with the timing, you can also double buffer a restart - hit the restart key during the wipe, then buffer your input. That input will be executed for the real start / wipe.

3 hours ago, kraflab said:

You can restart the demo in-game, which already let's you buffer your quick start. If you're having trouble with the timing, you can also double buffer a restart - hit the restart key during the wipe, then buffer your input. That input will be executed for the real start / wipe.

Oh I see. I was actually using it for recording demo playback. By setting the number very high, it would allow enough time when playing a demo for OBS to hook into the program for video recording. Otherwise, I miss the wipe and the first one second of the demo.

I might be the only person using it that way, but it is very effective for that purpose. No chance it could be added back?

1 hour ago, BiZ said:

Oh I see. I was actually using it for recording demo playback. By setting the number very high, it would allow enough time when playing a demo for OBS to hook into the program for video recording. Otherwise, I miss the wipe and the first one second of the demo.

I might be the only person using it that way, but it is very effective for that purpose. No chance it could be added back?

But setting up viddump would be much better in general. Then you can record automatically and with great quality. Have you had issues using it? Someone could definitely help you with that on the discord.

5 minutes ago, kraflab said:

But setting up viddump would be much better in general. Then you can record automatically and with great quality. Have you had issues using it? Someone could definitely help you with that on the discord.

I haven't used viddump, but I record commentary over the video so OBS is just an easy all-in-one solution.

If you don't feel like adding it back, I'll just use an older version, no worries.

16 minutes ago, BiZ said:

I haven't used viddump, but I record commentary over the video so OBS is just an easy all-in-one solution.

If you don't feel like adding it back, I'll just use an older version, no worries.

I see. No worries, I can put it back.

Also may have figured out the blasphemer problem. dsda-doom seems to be forcing whatever iwad is in current directory, or last directory one worked in. 

This command will load up blasphemer if I am in home directory. Direct paths are ignored.

dsda-doom -iwad /usr/share/games/doom/heretic.wad -heretic

Need to change directory to /usr/share/games/doom for it to use the heretic.wad

Next I put HERETIC1.WAD in my home directory and changed my working directory to home. No other iwad is in here. 

These commands all load up the 1.3 serpent riders iwad now.

dsda-doom -iwad ./HERETIC1.WAD -heretic
dsda-doom -iwad HERETIC1.WAD -heretic
dsda-doom -heretic
~/Doom/blasphemer$ dsda-doom -heretic -iwad blasphem.wad

It seems to cycle, now 1.3 iwad is the only one loading. For awhile it was hard to get it to stop using blasphemer and originally could not get blasphemer to load. I deleted my autoload directory, which did not help.

It seems like there is a preferred iwad that ignores command line and direct paths that can change on certain conditions. I havent quite figured this out yet. Ill run a git bisect soon, it didnt seem to act like this a release or two ago. (Maybe I was strictly using blasphemer). 

EDIT: Found it. Tested these commands right from the compile directory to see which iwads they loaded. When both commands launched Heretic 1.3, I marked commit as bad for every round of git bisect.

$ ./dsda-doom -heretic -iwad /usr/share/games/doom/heretic.wad
$ ./dsda-doom -heretic -iwad ~/Doom/blasphemer/blasphem.wad

77d97c12df4c62ece9e5926ccd07211ab7ef27e0 is the first bad commit
commit 77d97c12df4c62ece9e5926ccd07211ab7ef27e0
Author: Fabian Greffrath <fabian@greffrath.com>
Date:   Fri Aug 13 21:35:59 2021 +0200

treat -heretic/-hexen parameter and exe name suffix equally

:040000 040000 38becd2c894af5c795351fbe5d2a6d0e7d7132a6 c0926769a11756017e2434423afaf6fc04367237 M     prboom2

Edited by Catoptromancy

Iwad loading fixed for next release.

Weapon alignment crash fixed for next release.

Thanks for the investigation!

Updated to v0.21.1

What's new:

• Added option to disable exclusive fullscreen for opengl
  • Added strict mode protection for weapon alignment
  • Added quickstart window setting back
  • Updated frame limit option text
  • Fixed -heretic preventing loading of iwad replacements
  • Fixed heretic intermission pause key behaviour
  • Fixed crash in hexen related to weapon alignment settings (disabled)
  • Fixed the -noload parameter not excluding autoload directories
    • Also added -noautoload alias

Edited by kraflab

5 hours ago, El juancho said:

What exactly does the strict mode?

It does not allow you to use any kind of cheats. When recording a demo it is toggled on automatically

Was the -pistolstart parameter removed from the latest releases? It worked just fine with v.0.20. But under 0.21.0 and 0.21.1 it doesn't do anything anymore.

*edit: sorry. my bad. i forgot that i have used the fdwl fork of DSDA for the past several weeks which includes the -pistolstart parameter. too many versions of dsda on my hard-drive, i forget which one is which.

btw, why doesn't dsda have the -pistolstart parameter anyways? is there a specific reason??

Edited by Gregor

3 hours ago, Gregor said:

Was the -pistolstart parameter removed from the latest releases? It worked just fine with v.0.20. But under 0.21.0 and 0.21.1 it doesn't do anything anymore.

*edit: sorry. my bad. i forgot that i have used the fdwl fork of DSDA for the past several weeks which includes the -pistolstart parameter. too many versions of dsda on my hard-drive, i forget which one is which.

btw, why doesn't dsda have the -pistolstart parameter anyways? is there a specific reason??

I've created a new thread to follow From Doom With Love progress. I've completely changed the branding (icon, program name and versioning) to prevent confusion with DSDA-Doom going forward. Kraflab has chosen to not add pistolstart for completely justified reasons that he has detailed in the past.

Edit: Spoke too soon!

Edited by Charlie Love

11 minutes ago, Charlie Love said:

I've created a new thread to follow From Doom With Love progress. I've completely changed the branding (icon, program name and versioning) to prevent confusion with DSDA-Doom going forward. Kraflab has chosen to not add pistolstart for completely justified reasons that he has detailed in the past.

Well, who knows, maybe in a future release it will be added after all. But fdwl is a great alternative. Thanks!

Updated to v0.21.2

- Added -pistolstart and -wandstart

Edited by kraflab

34 minutes ago, Charlie Love said:

Kraflab has chosen to not add pistolstart for completely justified reasons that he has detailed in the past

Well, at this point it's easier to just add it so I don't need to answer this question every day 🙃

2 hours ago, kraflab said:

Updated to v0.21.2

- Added -pistolstart and -wandstart

Awesome!! 👍👍👍

I've converted a few Quake Live crosshairs to doom graphics and remapped the colors to work with PrBoom's crosshair options.

If you'd like to use one of these, replace CROSS1 in dsda-doom.wad with one of the graphics in ql-crosshairs.wad.

doom-crosshair-preview.png.589da055d379b364db8d9a09987c79df.png

ql-crosshairs.zip

PS, please add an option to keep the crosshair enabled when secret messages play and when you use melee.

Edited by Firebert

Speaking of crosshairs, it would be nice if the scaling option was improved. When scaling is set to "No", the crosshair is microscopic and when it's set to "Yes", it's a bit large and chunky. Something between the 2 sizes would be ideal.

36 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Speaking of crosshairs, it would be nice if the scaling option was improved. When scaling is set to "No", the crosshair is microscopic and when it's set to "Yes", it's a bit large and chunky. Something between the 2 sizes would be ideal.

Sure, I can take a look at this

54 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

I find simply reducing cross1's length helps quite a bit. I always thought it was overly long.

doom82.png.0684b04d6e1f14001fb2d6596bd190d7.png

Updated to v0.21.3

What's New:

• Added more crosshair variants
  • Show crosshair for all weapons (archi)
  • Draw crosshair behind messages (archi)
  • Don't hide crosshair when secret messages appears
  • Fixed crosshair position (CharlesLove)
  • Fixed OpenGL sky floors causing wall bleeding (JadingTsunami)

@Spectre01 I didn't add a middle scaling option, but maybe one of the new variants works well for you (try out "big")

Edited by kraflab

Say, does DehExtra let you scale actors yet? I can think of a few projects where that would be helpful.

Vertically tiling midtextures would also be cool.

Sorry if this has been gone over before, I'm only half lucid RN.

Is it normal for the mouse being choppy and inaccurate while recording demos? Was trying to exit e2m6 after the void glide and in my practice runs where I don't record demos I can do way smaller and precise mouse movements than while recording demos.

4 minutes ago, Blaster9078 said:

Is it normal for the mouse being choppy and inaccurate while recording demos? Was trying to exit e2m6 after the void glide and in my practice runs where I don't record demos I can do way smaller and precise mouse movements than while recording demos.

Yes, this is normal. It's called "shorttics" and is due to the original engine's demo format which did not store enough information for more precise angles than what you just experienced. See: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Turning_resolution_is_lowered_when_recording_demos