Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

15 hours ago, Domestic-Weirdo said:

I had been reading the DEHEXTRA page on the good ol' DOOM Wiki and it mentions that DEHEXTRA can be configured in patch settings by selecting the Doom Retro parameter in WhackEd. The list of engine settings include the aforementioned Doom Retro and another called Extended DeHackEd which also appears to provide additional states, along with the same flag sets, for modders to use. I've read a few posts here that seem to use the terms interchangeably so it left me wondering about the differences between the two.

Are they essentially the same and if so, why are they both included within patch settings for WhackEd?

Doom Retro adds the color-specific translucency, blood colors, smoke trails, Boom and MBF features, monster missile, crushable, and a few other flags.

Would backporting Doom 2 animated textures/flats into Ultimate Doom Limit-removing compatible?
Also would idgames accept it? I'm not sure if this qualifies as unmodified or not if I'm importing from another IWAD. CC4 seems to have DOOM1 textures in it, for example and it's on IDGAMES.

Hello I am currently making a map in boom format and I am having trouble getting linedef type 153: change texture and effect to work. The textures change just fine but I need the effect to change to 8 - light glows (1+ sec) and I can't figure out how to make it happen the boom Readme doesn't even mention this linedef type.

1 hour ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

Hello I am currently making a map in boom format and I am having trouble getting linedef type 153: change texture and effect to work. The textures change just fine but I need the effect to change to 8 - light glows (1+ sec) and I can't figure out how to make it happen the boom Readme doesn't even mention this linedef type.

Despite what it might first appear, sector effects involving lighting aren't typical effects; they are thinkers which are generated at map start. You can't change the type to a lighting effect because no thinker will be generated to actually perform it. Only passive effects can be applied, such as sector damage which is performed by the player, not the sector itself.

Inversely, that means the opposite is true; a lighting effect isn't removed either when changing the type. This means that you can use that action to apply a type (such as a damaging sector) to a lighting effect that doesn't normally include it.

Edited by Edward850

Hello! I have an issue I don't quite understand in the Boom mapping format, hoping someone might be able to help. I have this area which is 2 sectors split by a Mid Texture (front & back). 

In the GZDB view it looks fine, but in-game (PrBoom-Plus 2.6um), the Mid Texture extends through the sector floors which makes it look weird. Any ideas what is causing this and how I can avoid it please? Appreciate that this may not be a mapping issue, so apologies if that is the case.

Photos in spoilers:

Spoiler

image.png.618b80fdc928dd182dc867dfdab99a5d.png

image.png.26b1f38551147fcd07d6f77bdd513eaf.png

This is because the original renderer does not clip midtextures when the front sector and the back sector have identical properties, as an optimization.

A trick is to create a one unit light level difference (e.g. the front is 128, the back is 129). That will not result in a visible difference in-game (in vanilla, light levels are transformed into 16 "steps", so 128 to 143 end up being the same step), or only a very very subtle one (in ports with renderers that offer more discrete light level gradients, e.g. in OpenGL ports).

14 minutes ago, Gez said:

This is because the original renderer does not clip midtextures when the front sector and the back sector have identical properties, as an optimization.

A trick is to create a one unit light level difference (e.g. the front is 128, the back is 129). That will not result in a visible difference in-game (in vanilla, light levels are transformed into 16 "steps", so 128 to 143 end up being the same step), or only a very very subtle one (in ports with renderers that offer more discrete light level gradients, e.g. in OpenGL ports).

Thank you so much! A strange hack but it worked a charm :)

I actually had some trouble with this because the room, after shooting a switch, needs to go dark and have the lights start blinking. As it was, changing the brightness level by 1 left those particular sectors almost fully illuminated against the darkened sectors. Thankfully, thanks to some further voodoo doll trickery (start lights blinking; then set brightness to 35), I got the effect working just fine and the renderer issue is absent.

Thanks again!

I can't open my TITLEMAP in GZDB R3107 anymore. It's not corrupt or anything, and every other map within the WAD is accessible. Is there a way to open my TITLEMAP without extracting it and saving it to a solo wad?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

There seems to be a certain area of my map where if I create a new sector, one of its corners will create this long line extending to some other vertex halfway across the map. What's up with that?
Using SLADE 3 if that helps.

1 hour ago, Castelia said:

Sorry if this has already been asked.

There seems to be a certain area of my map where if I create a new sector, one of its corners will create this long line extending to some other vertex halfway across the map. What's up with that?
Using SLADE 3 if that helps.

Half way across the map sounds like your map might be oversized. Make sure all your map geometry remains within a 32767x32767 box. Any two points of the geometry exceeding this distance will produce overflows in various aspects of the rendering and physics.

10 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Half way across the map sounds like your map might be oversized. Make sure all your map geometry remains within a 32767x32767 box. Any two points of the geometry exceeding this distance will produce overflows in various aspects of the rendering and physics.

I had a feeling it would be something like that. Thank you, I'll try resizing my map a little.

I had a building that I wanted to make very tall. And I surrounded it by sky that is very high, surrounded by lower sky. However, there's something wrong with the sky hack, which for some reason doesn't work on, judging by the jagged edge of the sky the river of lava.

Is there anything I don't understand about sky hacks?

It works correctly on the right side, which has the same kind of sky hack, as you can see.

UPD: Seems like the issue is caused by different brightness in the sectors, and goes away if brightness is evened out. But why?

doom31.png

32 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I had a building that I wanted to make very tall. And I surrounded it by sky that is very high, surrounded by lower sky. However, there's something wrong with the sky hack, which for some reason doesn't work on, judging by the jagged edge of the sky the river of lava.

Is there anything I don't understand about sky hacks?

It works correctly on the right side, which has the same kind of sky hack, as you can see.

UPD: Seems like the issue is caused by different brightness in the sectors, and goes away if brightness is evened out. But why?

doom31.png

Only thing i know is that F_SKY1, being a flat, bleeds onto untextured walls directly above or under it. And since F_SKY1 has a special property, it causes the sky to bleed onto the walls. I don't know about different sector lights, but that's my fault for not utilizing them. Another thing to note is that F_SKY1 will always bleed onto surfaces, even if you supply texures.

19 minutes ago, Telemassacre said:

Another thing to note is that F_SKY1 will always bleed onto surfaces, even if you supply texures.

Only on upper textures between two sky ceilings; but not on ower textures between two sky floors.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sky_hack

Had to ask this once again... How do you add new states in DEHEXTRA (for new monsters' animation frames, projectiles, whatever....)

Someone already told me that I have to replace the stock sprites, I know you have to do that in regular DeHacked but i'm pretty sure that's not how DehExtra works... There's literally no tutorials about this stuff, so I need help.

7 hours ago, Vaeros said:

Had to ask this once again... How do you add new states in DEHEXTRA (for new monsters' animation frames, projectiles, whatever....)

Someone already told me that I have to replace the stock sprites, I know you have to do that in regular DeHacked but i'm pretty sure that's not how DehExtra works... There's literally no tutorials about this stuff, so I need help.

Dehextras new frames are in the unused section of Whacked4, you can't add frames

15 hours ago, Telemassacre said:

Only thing i know is that F_SKY1, being a flat, bleeds onto untextured walls directly above or under it. And since F_SKY1 has a special property, it causes the sky to bleed onto the walls. I don't know about different sector lights, but that's my fault for not utilizing them. Another thing to note is that F_SKY1 will always bleed onto surfaces, even if you supply texures.

I know how sky hack works (Wall textures between sky ceilings aren't drawn, period), but I'm trying to figure out why it failed.

1 hour ago, Redoom said:

Dehextras new frames are in the unused section of Whacked4, you can't add frames

Again... That's regular Dehacked, i'm talking about DehExtra's new states. According to Doomwiki.org it says this patch adds 2,910 new states/codepointers. Here's a example of some new enemy that actually uses those states in DehExtra. My question is how to use/add them. 

Spoiler

image.png.400315e6e12b66f190a091d9d7fc65ce.png

I wanna make a monster, which ressurects after some time after dying with standart death, but can be  killed by xdeath(Something like zombies from quake or blood)

image.png.0393e7d003962af940be8d20db020d5a.png

Is it possible to make via vanilla dehacked?
If it is, how to make it?

I have a pWAD that has a heavily modified DEHACKED (.bex DEHEXTRA) file and I run into "Exiting on Signal: signal 11" when I play in 32bit or less, but when I use OPENGL I run into none of these.  I suspect it has something to do with too many actions going off at once but I have no clue.

EDITED: FIXED!

Edited by Mr. LBN

On 8/26/2021 at 6:02 PM, Vaeros said:

Again... That's regular Dehacked, i'm talking about DehExtra's new states. According to Doomwiki.org it says this patch adds 2,910 new states/codepointers. Here's a example of some new enemy that actually uses those states in DehExtra. My question is how to use/add them. 

When you open Whacked, make sure to choose "Extended DeHackEd" from the Engine dropdown menu, otherwise you won't see the extra states. After that, you can use the extra states just like any other states. If you don't know how to modify states, you should check out this video by Doomkid to get started (it's vanilla oriented, but shows the basics really well). In short, you can set the states for things from the Things tab, and for weapons from the Weapons tab. In the States tab you can adjust the properties of each state, for example what action that state might have, how long the state lasts and what state it jumps to next. 

Can Translate be used to replace colors without a palette? I ask because my TC uses the hardware renderer so my graphics just use whatever colors and it would be easier if I didn't have to manually create text and particles for every color. Like can Translate use direct RGB values?

3 hours ago, Deadwing said:

Is it possible to create translucent floors on boom?

In what sense?

You can use renderer bug to put semi-transparent mid texture through the floor to create such an illusion.

You can use create fake ceiling/floor to make floor appear lower than it is. Paired with mid-textures it can create an illusion of roap bridge or force field.

On 8/28/2021 at 6:20 AM, Chainie said:

I wanna make a monster, which ressurects after some time after dying with standart death, but can be  killed by xdeath(Something like zombies from quake or blood)

It might not be exactly what you want but this vanilla DEHACKED weapon mod has shotgunners who can resurrect multiple times if they don't receive a massive amount of damage.

On samedi 28 août 2021 at 12:20 PM, Chainie said:

It's kind of possible in a way if you give the death state a long duration and a next state that's the zombieman's spawn state; however I think a zombie revived this way will be invulnerable (since already dead, and therefore not shootable anymore).

On 8/23/2021 at 5:49 AM, LuridRequiem said:

I can't open my TITLEMAP in GZDB R3107 anymore. It's not corrupt or anything, and every other map within the WAD is accessible. Is there a way to open my TITLEMAP without extracting it and saving it to a solo wad?

Is anyone able to answer this? I'm using UDMF format for all maps. I checked every single game configuration and isn't visible when trying to select a map. 

Edited by LuridRequiem : Clarity

Does anyone know if there's any "Doom 2 textures for Doom 1" wad? That is, the one that is specifically made to be loaded with DOOM.WAD

Doesn't seem like it should be hard to make, but still I'd rather find a true and tested solution.