• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cheesewheel

Uprising (Megawad)

12 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Glad the RC1 is already here, pal!
Been having a blast playtesting it.

I will give you feedbback of HNTR as is the difficulty i usually play on.

This mapset totally deserves a proper soundtrack, so tagging some great composer to help if they feel it ;)

@Bucket @Cammy @northivanastan @Eris @leejacksonaudio @JDoyle @Lippeth @Xulgonoth @Gustavo6046

Hope you like it, guys!

One of those is pretty clearly less great than the others :D

I'm sorry though, I already have way more responsibilities with other projects than I can handle right now. Maybe in the future...

13 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

The humanity is long gone, but there's a corpse in a marine armor right outside the hideout... who could that be? With all the demons roaming about, any new body would presumably be gone within weeks... most likely that's just one of those helmeted plasma zombies.

Have you considered that it might rain corpses on a hellified earth?

Or maybe doomguy is so messed up from being the last human alive that he's gone totally insane and is hallucinating...

Has hell brought their reality with them warping space and time, causing corpses to never decay or warp in and out of existence, who knows... I don't!

This is part of the joy of doom and why I tend to leave my maps spare on detail, it inspires the imagination to fill in the blanks.

13 hours ago, rd. said:

m10 has a seemingly unwanted exit switch right behind the player start

Found that too, pretty funny and unexpected. Fastest successful FDA ever!

As for the actual experience, I've properly played through the first ten maps and I am enjoying this thoroughly! Very neat and stylish looking maps with fun and engaging combat. The new pistol is actually useful now and I dig the improved SG as well. New enemies that I've encountered so far are also quite fun and none of them have been too annoying to deal with.

FDAs for the first ten maps in the attachment, played on UV with glboom+ 2.5.1.3.

A few bugs I found

• Got stuck between some decorations in the outdoor area in map10. Happens early on in the FDA.
  • Berserk secret lift in map11 has a missing texture.

FDA_uprising_01-10.zip

I will be putting in different sounds for the pistol, chaingun, plasma and shotgun in RC2.

If you can't wait that long I have attached them here, they sound at the same volume as the stock sound effects on my end, your mileage may vary but anything is better than the current chaingun sounds.

uprisingguns.zip

35 minutes ago, game said:

Added Uprising as the first featured cover in the "Masterpiece Wad Collection".

This is beyond cool, thank you for this.

Map04:

You can jump from Sector 38 to Sector 12 and drop down to all kind of weird softlocks :P

Map06:

Linedef 790 has missing side texture.

Map07:

Linedef 585 has missing side texture.

Maybe put a few potions around Sector 278 to indicate progression... I actually got lost there.

Don't know whether the final is intended for the player to camp in the entrance lift, which seems nullify the whole challenge of it.

Up to map 8 and this has been amazing so far!

Megawad is shaping up to be my favourite thing released this year alongside D2ISO

RC2 Available at OP.

-Fixed wire textures.

-All bug fixes logged so far.

-Sound changes to pistol,chaingun,plasma,shotgun.

-Updated sounds for cacobot.

Your dehacked enemy alterations show the graceful hand of a solid game designer. All your changes to low and mid tier bring a spicy but balanced nuance to your encounter design! Well done!

The sounds on RC1 fit better on this wad and I don't know why.

The shotgun on RC2 is the only sound that catch my attention

Played until map14 yesterday and the only issue is a place on map04 (sector 178 -> 176 -> 316)

UprisingRC1-map04-20210831.png

I've made it to map10! Here's a few bugs I've spotted so far...

1. In the outside area of MAP03, the blood flowing from the marble cube in the outdoors area has the midtexture going below the floor. The falling blood also has no texture on the inside, which seems wrong.
  2. In the starting area of the trainyard level, the computer panel on the ceiling isn't properly hidden on the automap.
  3. In the long lava river at the outskirts of Street Fighter, there are blue textures where falling lava textures would be expected?
  4. Past the red key on MAP10, there's a crate with a couple of zombies emerging from it upon ascending the stairs. I missed the linedef triggering it the first time I ascended, then I fell into the hollow crate and got stuck.

And here are some of my miscellaneous notes:

1. I'm satisfied with the aesthetics so far. They're consistent, with many recurring elements, but every map is still distinct in some way. I like how the progression alternates between mostly man-made and heavily hellish structures. It may be too abstract to tell what's those hellish structures are for, but it gives a certain sense of purpose to go from one of those places to another and depopulate them one by one.
  2. I totally thought there wasn't gonna be map07 stuff in map07. Surprise! You got me. And it provided a very nice climax.
  3. Street Fighter was very interesting for sure. First the beginning, giving the impression of the structure from map07 shoving a biomechanical tendril right into someone's bedroom. Then there was the second piece of hopeful graffiti, and an area with a fountain and some side rooms that might've been the remains of a shopping mall or something like that? That was interesting, despite taking place in a city most areas were still entirely abstract, but then the sudden shelves with product made me do a double take and rethink the areas I've dismissed as more abstractness...
  4. It took me quite a while to find my way around in Street Fighter... but I did eventually manage it, and not just by trial and error, so I guess the progression wasn't too badly designed after all! I spotted a desirable switch, examined both the automap and the visible architecture to trace back the visible but unreachable path to that switch, until I finally found the shootable switch, which was fairly eye-catching once I realized it was something I should be looking at. Rather puzzly, but satisfying. I'm glad it happened before I collected any keys, so I had less places to consider.
  5. I loved the UAC HQ battle, and how you telefrag an ArchVile at the beginning of it. It adds a small feeling of triumph to go with the panic of dropping in the middle of a lot of trouble... I bet the same thing happened to a UAC CEO during a board meeting a long time ago in this very place. I actually loaded the map on UV (I'm playing on HMP normally) to see if the teleport destination might be elsewhere on that skill level, forcing you to deal with an ArchVile on top of everything... now that would've been a fun and unique way to vary up difficulty levels!

I starting playing the megawad today made it to map 5. So far I'm really enjoying the experience so far. Excited to see the rest of this megawad!😀

I keep getting this weird crash in RUDE (vanilla-like limit-removing port) that says:

R_InitSprites: No patches found for DRKF frame E

You may want to look into this.

59 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

I keep getting this weird crash in RUDE (vanilla-like limit-removing port) that says:

R_InitSprites: No patches found for DRKF frame E

You may want to look into this.

Good spot, pretty confident I know how to fix this for next RC.

I just finished all your gorgeous maps, but with little issues on maps 17, 25 and 26 on coop.

Map17 - sector 102 closes when a players is in yellow skull area. Players before this 102 sector may get stuck after cross the red door.

Map25 - inescapable pit, sector 200.

Map26 - some players may get stuck at start if another player cross the line 3604, lowering sector 2. 

UprisingRC2-map17-20210810-after-red-door.png

UprisingRC2-map21-pit.png

UprisingRC2-map26-start.png

On 8/30/2021 at 3:24 PM, Cheesewheel said:

- HNTR and HMP remain largely untested, meaning that some parts are probably going to be way too hard. Feedback on specific maps and encouters on these difficulties would be very useful.

Hey, I'm playing through it right now on HMP (which I use for most WADs) and until now (map 16) I did not encounter anything that I would deem to be too hard. It all felt really well balanced and fun with a decent challenge but without ever feeling unfair or anything like that. Just wanted to say that I really like the environments and moods you created and that I very much appreciate how much this feels like a continous adventure with a coherent progression of events. I especially liked how you handled the secret level: The idea of framing it as a kind of sidequest initiated via a distress call and a teleporter that brings you back after you've explored that space station was done really well. So far I'm really enjoying it and hope that I will find the time to continue playing soon.

20 hours ago, Cheesewheel said:

RC3 Available.

-lots of minor fixes.

Okay so, there's a lot of issues I've run into here.

• You forgot to put PP_START and P_END markers around your texture lumps
  • I'm still getting sprite related errors in RUDE/Sprinkled Doom, this time it says "R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 112:32768"
    • I tried changing S_START/S_END to SS_START and SS_END, which did let me load into the game, but I noticed immediately that none of the weapon sprites show at all, and I imagine all the other custom sprites aren't either.
  • Also noticed some tutti-frutti in like the first room on those small crates, I'd suggest manually tiling those in SLADE's texture editor so that they're 128 tall.

I feel like this is a recurring thing with the WADs you do where you'll state that it's limit removing but it's only compatible with Crispy Doom or above (sometimes like in Baculus MAP16 even Crispy doesn't work properly with it). Of course I LOVE your maps, they're really fun to play, but I think there's a lot of bad habits that seem to recur with how you put them together that hurts their compatibility. I'm not saying you need to adhere completely to vanilla limits or anything, but you could easily make them compatible with more limit-removing ports with very little to no compromise on the map designs themselves.

Hello again,

we're finally finishing off the wad for TNS this Thursday. Just like last time, the session starts at 19:00 BST / 14:00 EDT and you can expect it to be fairly active for 4+ hours.

Thanks for the coop fixes but seems like some went a little wrong:
MAP17 - The coop tele was placed behind sector 714 which already can be bypassed by pressing line 3969. Players can still get stuck between sectors 714 and 102 if they're in the wrong place at the wrong time.
MAP26 - Activating line 3604 will also change the texture so the coop tele at the start will become essentially invisible. However, even without this issue the tele is a bit hard to notice, placing it for example on a lowering pillar close to sector 4 would work better.

Some more issues that were noticed:

These maps have missing coop starts: 12, 17-20, 23-32
(not a problem for the popular online multiplayer source ports but it would be an issue if someone wanted to, say, record a coop demo)

map02
- the zombiemen often get "stuck" on the red bars (sector 93)

map04

- missing texture on line 1298
- seems like something went wrong with the texture alignment on line 1024 when making changes for RC3

map07
- this is not necessarily an issue but the archvile at the yellow key can revive the imps in sector 397 because the sector is connected to sector 475

map08
- stuck revenant (thing 746)
- missing ceiling flat in sectors 568-571

map16
- misaligned texture on line 3035 if software rendering is used

map20
- slime trail coming from a part of line 1050 if software rendering is used

map22
- slime trail coming from line 1482 if software rendering is used

map23
- HOM on line 2202 if software rendering is used

map24
- slime trail coming from line 3435 if software rendering is used

map25
- HOM on line 2833 if software rendering is used

map28
- texture bleeding on line 2626 if software rendering is used

map32
- possible to get stuck near line 4714 if you fall behind the big crates there
- lines 4534 and 4535 are lower unpegged so the texture moves when the lift moves (it's only these 2 lines, others are ok)