Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sargebaldy

why does deep charge for deepsea updates?

why does deep charge for deepsea updates? seems ridiculous to me he's charging people $20 for an update, when often the only thing he's fixed are a few bugs that "mysteriously" ended up in the last version. i was just looking at the prices too.. ROFL $40 and $20 to upgrade? did you know you can buy ultimate doom/doom2/final doom/doom2 master levels, download a source port, and play through 10000 wads for about $5? $40 + $20 an update? ROFL, someone explain this to me.. because i hardly think the laws of supply and demand are so skewed deep could make ANY money charging at that ridiculous rate.

You can buy a HUGE Doom level set for just the material
costs + shipping from the KDX website, that is in summary
4.5 GB stuff compressed on 3 CD's :D

The Experience said:

You can buy a HUGE Doom level set for just the material
costs + shipping from the KDX website, that is in summary
4.5 GB stuff compressed on 3 CD's :D

pretty nice, but i could just download 4.5 gigs of doom files if i wanted :P

/me spanks his T3 line

sargebaldy, who cares what it costs; if you don't like the price, don't use it. I sure as fucking hell don't.

myk said:

sargebaldy, who cares what it costs; if you don't like the price, don't use it. I sure as fucking hell don't.

i'm just curious how deep has worked out that a good average, supply-meets-demand price for deepsea is $40 with $20 updates.. seems to me he'd make more money (and up with reputation in the community) by charging a modest $15 or so with free updates.

Deepsea is the only real full editor available.
especially for Windows.
It is not like it is just a windows port of Deth... it is so much more.
I guess the updates pay for their/his continued work on the project... and I agree that 20 for an update package seems a bit steep.
I don't purchase things on the internet, so it kind of leaves it out in the cold for me personally.
our options are Deepsea, the best editor there is, for 40 dollars ... or nothing, because he never would've made it if he got nothing back.
considering the multitude of kind words everyone showers Deep and his team with over the years proves he's not doing it simply for the praise. </sarcasm>
SargeBaldy does have a good point, but put yourself in his shoes.

sargebaldy said:

pretty nice, but i could just download 4.5 gigs of doom files if i wanted :P

/me spanks his T3 line

Yeah, on a T3 that would just keep your "connection alive" :P

...but I have to add that this 4.5 GB levels are of course
ready organized in KDX's database, if you do that by hand
for this amount you may take a whole year for that ... even
on a 100 Mbit internet connection :)

And for Deepsea ... I wonder when the first crack will be available.
The amount of money he charge makes it interesting now.

The Experience said:

And for Deepsea ... I wonder when the first crack will be available.
The amount of money he charge makes it interesting now.

There has been at least 1 warezed copy around.

Mordeth said:

And the point of this thread is..?

...that people think the price of updates to DeeP are a bit steep.

*steps out of crossfire*

What is interesting is that all the people that bitch have no intention of registering. More like attempting to cause childish trouble where there is none to be made. This is the 2nd time for Baldy. Last time he was out in left field about "vector drawing" and this time is hardly an improvement.

The price is $34 and shipping cost is optional if you can receive a 1 MB attachment. That can't be made a standard option, since bounced deliveries cause too much grief. Think hotmail.

Upgrades are free for 6 months. Since there actually ARE upgrades, it's $20 after that whenever one wants to upgrade. In any case, it's always up to the individual.

If you want to bitch, pick on MS. Last time I checked you had to pay for Windows98, WindowsME, Win2000, XP and all versions of Office. Seems they have $40 BILLION dollars floating around as cash, but I could be wrong here:)

sbsoftware.com/order.html

PS: FYI, the actual price has little to do with posts like this. Even if I charged $15, the reaction would be exactly the same. Proof? Easy, it was $15 and people then said exactly the same thing. It's not for everyone - just not a popularity contest for me.

Just wondering but what types of money do you accept?

Like...

American
Canadian
Gold
Spice
Monopoly
Â¥
§
£
Pounds

and so on...?

DOOM Anomaly said:

Just wondering but what types of money do you accept?

PayPal accepts all major currencies, so Monopoly and Spice probably won't cut it. Isn't Spice out of favor? Now Gold would be interesting to me, even if PayPal won't accept it. If you have a few spare GOLD pieces to send, I can guarantee you free updates for life.

Why not have a 'free updates for life' option that costs, say, $54? Or maybe a 'free updates for two years' option for $44?

I personally wouldn't mind the expense of paying for Deepsea upgrades, the level editor is worth the money for me. But my dad doesn't want to use his credit card for purchasing stuff over the Internet anymore, so I can't really do much.

The registered copy I have does the job for me, though. There are some bugs, but they can be worked around for the most of the time.

NiGHTMARE said:

Why not have a 'free updates for life' option that costs, say, $54? Or maybe a 'free updates for two years' option for $44?

Been there, done that [3+ years ago]. Very few took advantage. End result - not worth the trouble to keep track.

If this was some big operation and I was actually making real money, then it might work. But I'm not going to slave myself for 50cents/hr:)

What is funny about those people that worry about CC over the internet, it's actually much safer than using in a store where a paper trail is present and easily ripped by anyone. Besides, almost all CC companies guarantee you against CC internet stolen cards (at least in the US). Sometimes, overseas orders come with real cash (never had a problem yet), although more common are checks drawn on a US bank. So it's not really all that difficult.

almost all CC companies guarantee you against CC internet stolen cards

It happened to my dad. The CC company cleared it up. He doesn't want to use it anyway, and I can see why one'd be paranoid about it.

deep said:

What is funny about those people that worry about CC over the internet, it's actually much safer than using in a store where a paper trail is present and easily ripped by anyone. Besides, almost all CC companies guarantee you against CC internet stolen cards (at least in the US). Sometimes, overseas orders come with real cash (never had a problem yet), although more common are checks drawn on a US bank. So it's not really all that difficult.

None of my money is at risk. I have no credit cards(except a corporate one) and no credit report at all.
no society machine has control of me that way.
but I agree with you, majorically, it is a safe way to tranfer monies.

I was a weasel and got my copy of Deepsea from some doomeR.

:P

Sorry but if i can get it free, why pay?

MagnuM said:

I was a weasel and got my copy of Deepsea from some doomeR.

Sorry but if i can get it free, why pay?

Because it is illegal, and warez is not allowed on these forums. You have been warned.