Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Dude

[Remaster WIP] Newdoom Community Project

So thankfully danimetal made an appearance in email, so we're down to three members left to find.

DoomedAce

Pumpkinsmaher (Wes Rath)

Grunt (Steven Melenchuk)

I might've already posted some of these in the Doom pictures thread, but they belong here.

nc05.jpg

nc08.jpg

nc09.jpg

Hi everybody, Danimetal here (I have not used that moniker in a long, long time).

Doom_dude reached out and told me about the idea and - even if I look down on my work there (preferred the NDCP2 maps and the unreleased stuff) - I signed up to remaster the thing.

It has been forever since I touched an editor and I hope that real life (and old age) have not taken away my ability to align textures properly. That said, I'm sure this will be a blast.

Also, it is great to see some familiar names here. By now it's like being among old-timers.

Cheers to all, great to see you again.

Good to have you onboard with the project MarlboroMan. :D

Old-timers indeed. :D

Next we'll make a Newdoom Community Project III: Demons Ate My VHS Tapes. :D

Exl's screens they look great.

2 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Old-timers indeed. :D

Next we'll make a Olddoom Community Project III: Demons Ate My VHS Tapes. :D

Fixed it for you ;D

Seriously though, this remaster makes me happy to see. There's lots of old classics with bugs and flaws that are taboo to fix or rerelease, so its definitely cool to see an old project get tuned up like this, and by the original authors no less!

I'd think PumpkinSmasher would be found eventually, but who knows? It's really too bad DoomedAce just up and disappeared. Map 29 was easily the 3rd or 4th best map in the set. The music better not be replaced when that's done either!

The music for map29 is a keeper. Thanks for the reminder... I took note of that in my log book.

TheMarlboroMan had a gmail address for Pumpkinsmasher, so I hope that one works.

This morning I found Steven Melenchuk listed on another forum as a developer for something called Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup where he was last active in 2019. I have to explore more of that later, when I get a chance.

Yay double post time!

Thanks to the Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup community on discord I was able to obtain a gmail address for Grunt, so I sent him an email and he responded and I now have the go ahead with the map I made changes to, so that's good!

Two members left to find.

Pumpkinsmasher and DoomedAce.

I decided to extend my map after a break from working on it. If for some reason I can't finish, I do have a suitable incremental save to submit.

map13newarea.png.d44ae309c84931056d49335e59ee1107.png

Great to see this slowing coming together! Keep up the great work everyone!

I've done quite a bit of work on my map, but nothing to really show yet, as I have a tendency to jump around all over the place in the map while I'm updating stuff. Plus I plan on retexturing it to make it less... brown.

I do already have a complete outline of what I want to do with the map; some areas are just getting detailed up, others are getting redesigned, and some rooms are getting completely removed and replaced with something different.

Spotted a texture seam in GOAT002 (which I might have actually caused, because I think I made this texture for DooMGoaT's map  :D ). 

Fixed version:

GOAT002.png

Only just now found out about this: NDCP1 is by far one of my favorite megawads of all time - downloaded it on Doom Wad Station back when - and it holds immense nostalgia value for me. I'm pleased with some of the map touchups, which look like legitimate improvements without sacrificing the spirit of the original maps. Multiplayer compatibility was pretty broken in the original version, so I hope this can be addressed, too.

21 hours ago, DooMAD said:

Spotted a texture seam in GOAT002 (which I might have actually caused, because I think I made this texture for DooMGoaT's map  :D ). 

Fixed version:

GOAT002.png

Got it. Will update the resource.

14 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Only just now found out about this: NDCP1 is by far one of my favorite megawads of all time - downloaded it on Doom Wad Station back when - and it holds immense nostalgia value for me. I'm pleased with some of the map touchups, which look like legitimate improvements without sacrificing the spirit of the original maps. Multiplayer compatibility was pretty broken in the original version, so I hope this can be addressed, too.

Not sure about multiplayer. I think Romero did it right with Sigil and had separate areas for multiplayer. I'll have to think about it but we're focused on fixing up the singleplayer and anything after that remains to be seen. lol

1 hour ago, Doom_Dude said:

Not sure about multiplayer. I think Romero did it right with Sigil and had separate areas for multiplayer. I'll have to think about it but we're focused on fixing up the singleplayer and anything after that remains to be seen. lol

More precisely, it's separate areas for deathmatch. Coop play is still in the single-player area. Or you could have players 2, 3, and 4 in a separate coop area while player 1 remains alone in the SP area, heh.

When I mentioned multiplayer, I meant specifically cooperative. There are problems such as teleports that work only once (meaning that players who are left behind cannot proceed), traps that lock you in with no way for players that remain outside of them to proceed, and stuff like that. Fixing them wouldn't take too much effort (just playtesting is needed to find it really) but it'd be immensely appreciated since people have been running a ton of unofficial patches on zandronum to rectify the issue.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

More precisely, it's separate areas for deathmatch. Coop play is still in the single-player area. Or you could have players 2, 3, and 4 in a separate coop area while player 1 remains alone in the SP area, heh.

3 hours ago, Dynamo said:

When I mentioned multiplayer, I meant specifically cooperative. There are problems such as teleports that work only once (meaning that players who are left behind cannot proceed), traps that lock you in with no way for players that remain outside of them to proceed, and stuff like that. Fixing them wouldn't take too much effort (just playtesting is needed to find it really) but it'd be immensely appreciated since people have been running a ton of unofficial patches on zandronum to rectify the issue.

Ahhhhhh, I wasn't even thinking about Coop this morning. Kinda brain-fried lately. That is more doable of course.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:54 PM, Doom_Dude said:

There's no time line set, so were not in a hurry or anything but I'm thinking early 2022 in January or Feb or somethin like that. Maybe earlier if everything comes together and keeps going as well as it is.

Is that Jan/Feb for submissions and then some extra time for playtesting and bugfixing?  Or is it best to get the all the maps in by the end of this year and then spend Jan/Feb making sure it's perfect?

I still feel responsible and rather guilty about the sorry state NDCP2 got released in.  Definitely don't want a repeat of that.   XD

On 9/17/2021 at 12:19 PM, DooMAD said:

Is that Jan/Feb for submissions and then some extra time for playtesting and bugfixing?  Or is it best to get the all the maps in by the end of this year and then spend Jan/Feb making sure it's perfect?

I still feel responsible and rather guilty about the sorry state NDCP2 got released in.  Definitely don't want a repeat of that.   XD

Oh hay, sorry for the late answer. I've been knee deep in the work and dead tired lately but things are getting back to normal and I also kinda took a break from the forums and even Doom after I finished my Wadazine 03 map, which now needs fixing. lol.

Whenever we get it all put together, which may be later than Feb, we will definitely be taking extra time to playtest and do fixes.

As for NDCP 2, it would be nice to be able to polish it up a bit... but I have no luck at all with locating Mr. Pumpkinsmasher.

Let's inject some more life in this thread: I have been chipping away at map19 on and off. Considering the base map is already very cramped I started by trying to remove annoyances, do a different job at texture choosing and, overall, try it to give a very familiar, "the same but a bit different" feeling.

Screenshot time. These were taken with Crispy Doom, which I am using for testing. Left is before, right is after.

First hallway to the left:

001-before.png001-after.png

First room to the left:

002-before.png002-after.png

Tech bridge room:

003-before.png003-after.png

Hatch control room:

004-before.png004-after.png

As said, it's "the same but...". Expect all rooms and areas to have some subtle aesthetic changes, but also expect structural changes in the rooms here and there, layout modifications to help switches flow better, changes in how some battles are carried out and new areas to keep returning players engaged. I am also rebalancing the difficulty, using additions and changes to help newcomers strategise a bit (ammo is scarce in my tests), but that's a very subjective matter.

And also expect secrets. Many, many more secrets.

Snazzy screenshots Marlboro. Lookin' forward to playing through it. :D

I took a break from mapping, but I'm working on gettin back into it. At this point the NDCP will certainly not get released until next year, hopefully in the first quarter or so. We'll see. ;)

I took a break from mapping and started to dabble with editing the midi I picked for my map.  It's a good track, but a few sections get a bit repetitive.  Trying to add a bit of variation to it, whilst also learning how to use Sekaiju (https://openmidiproject.osdn.jp/Sekaiju_en.html) for the first time.  Had a few accidents with it, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

Just found out about this project, so I had to track down this thread. This has long one been one of my favorite megawads--perhaps owing to the fact that it was one of the earliest PWADs I played when I really got back into Doom--and I still like to break it out again every few years for a replay. Really looking forward to this remaster!

Mostly happy with the midi now, so back to mapping.  Now making a conscious effort to not break coop, since I think I've been neglecting that consideration whilst fixing stuff up.  

Glad to see this is still being worked on :) And great screenshots MarlboroMan! Your maps are among my favorites.

Old library with boring flat ceiling and all the bookshelves are the same:

sepulchre3.png

New Library with something a bit more interesting going on above and some variety in the bookshelves:  

sepulchreremaster4.png

Very well made! I love not only the ceiling but also the skull decoration on the left.

Has anyone finished their remaster who wants to trade maps for playtesting?  Message me.

My original map was 212kb, but it's now 2.16mb, so I'm going to take that as a sign that I probably shouldn't try to cram any more detail in there.  XD

Calling it done unless there's something that needs fixing.