Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyMistDragon

Let's discuss the term boomer shooters....

2 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

*Listens to nu metal music* Doomers.

We're all doomers if you look at it as a whole

I find it to be an obnoxious term. That’s why I refuse to use it. It sounds absolutely stupid, but then again, so does most of the terminology created by the current wave of “influencers” who seem to push this terminology into the mainstream and the sheeple repeat what they hear (or read). It’s almost always something cringey. 

Edited by TelicAx7

Boomer Shooter sounds like something a Warhammer ork would be called, it's ridiculous and easy to say, rolls off the tongue...

Probably why it's popular.

Better than when they call it a WolfenDoom.

3 hours ago, TelicAx7 said:

I find it to be an obnoxious term. That’s why I refuse to use it. It sounds absolutely stupid, but then again, so does most of the terminology created by the current wave of “influencers” who seem to push this terminology into the mainstream and the sheeple repeat what they hear (or read). It’s almost always something cringey. 

Ah, like Metroidvania? Soulsborne?

They should be called fighting games. That's what this Doom 2 commercial told me:

1 hour ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

Ah, like Metroidvania? Soulsborne?

"Metroidvania" has lost all meaning outside of Metroid and Castlevania. Arkham Asylum is considered a Metroidvania but it plays, looks and feels almost nothing like any of those two games. 

"Soulsborne" has always been stupid, they're WRPGs with a strong focus on difficult encounters. 

5 hours ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

Just call them Doom clones. If we're going back to that era, might as well use the same terminology.

except most boomer shooters aren't even close to Doom clones. not every game made in the 90's was made like Doom. 

I'd rather the term Doom Clone be removed from existence more than Boomer Shooter. That term just shits on all other fps games from that era no matter how different their enemies, weapons and level design are.

To be fair, there are games that are not just random FPS games, but are very clearly shameless cash-ins on Doom's success. With names like GLOOM, a lot of them weren't even trying to hide it.

There are also other cases where the similarity can't possibly be ignored because they literally use Doom as a foundation inherently, like Chex Quest or Heretic. I do see how it could be perceived as a slight to be written off as mere "Doom clones" when they clearly had big doses of love and effort put in, but being compared to Doom should be seen as a compliment, when you really think about it. After all, it's basically saying "this game gives me similar pleasure to one of the greatest games ever made"!

4 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

To be fair, there are games that are not just random FPS games, but are very clearly shameless cash-ins on Doom's success. With names like GLOOM, a lot of them weren't even trying to hide it.

Basically, GLOOM's gameplay is the same with Wolfenstein 3D, it's all flat and you shoot humans instead of monsters. But since it has marines, Sci-Fi and alien planets, it looks like DOOM. Even the name sounds like DOOM, like GLOOM - DOOM. But it ain't creative like DOOM or Wolf 3D, it doesn't have any decorations or details that can make it look sick. It looks boring, simple and empty

29 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

There are also other cases where the similarity can't possibly be ignored because they literally use Doom as a foundation inherently, like Chex Quest or Heretic. I do see how it could be perceived as a slight to be written off as mere "Doom clones" when they clearly had big doses of love and effort put in, but being compared to Doom should be seen as a compliment, when you really think about it. After all, it's basically saying "this game gives me similar pleasure to one of the greatest games ever made"!

Oh for sure, I'm not saying there aren't games that aren't Doom clones, but to put them all in the same box is a bit irritating. A lot of games are actually consciously trying to not be like Doom. Given everything I saw at Realms Deep, there's way more out of that category than in it.

3 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

except most boomer shooters aren't even close to Doom clones. not every game made in the 90's was made like Doom. 

True, a lot of them are more Quake-like, or they're Dukebloods. 🤔

The FPS genre as a whole is just an unending shameless cash-in on the success of Wolf3D. Case closed!!

2 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

A lot of games are actually consciously trying to not be like Doom. Given everything I saw at Realms Deep, there's way more out of that category than in it.

Do people still actually refer to fps games as Doom clones these days?

The term "Doom Clone" was only relevant in the mid 90's and tbf was accurate for that brief time period, till the 3d engines started taking off in popularity. Although I never remember it being a bad thing back then.

As for the term "Boomer shooter"? Well, its kinda catchy and I don't see an issue with it tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

The FPS genre as a whole is just an unending shameless cash-in on the success of Wolf3D. Case closed!!

Wolf3D started it, DOOM spread it around

5 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

Oh for sure, I'm not saying there aren't games that aren't Doom clones, but to put them all in the same box is a bit irritating. A lot of games are actually consciously trying to not be like Doom. Given everything I saw at Realms Deep, there's way more out of that category than in it.

I don't want to sound bitter but I feel like I just glazed over a bunch of the games in Realms Deep. I don't know if it was the way they were presented, or that they simply didn't stand out that much. Those that did, however, definitely had something fresh and unique that made them appealing.

Now, if only we could have some gosh darned games that draw from Unreal instead of the same old id tech / build franchises...

Btw, why are we calling them "Boomer Shooters" instead of "Classic Shooters"? Just because they're very old, it doesn't mean it's only for old men, they are truly classics like the NES games, the Genesis games etc. Whatever game comes from the 20th Century and the early 2000s is a consider as a classic to me

I'm personally tired of the "30 year old boomer" meme. It was never good, and don't get me started on the whole "boomer juice" thing. I can't even have a single energy drink without dropping onto the floor from tachycardia.

2 minutes ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

I'm personally tired of the "30 year old boomer" meme. It was never good, and don't get me started on the whole "boomer juice" thing. I can't even have a single energy drink without dropping onto the floor from tachycardia.

Personally, it's kinda cringe

4 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

Btw, why are we calling them "Boomer Shooters" instead of "Classic Shooters"? Just because they're very old, it doesn't mean it's only for old men, they are truly classics like the NES games, the Genesis games etc.

Oh god. Are they going to start calling them "boomer platformers", "boomer fighting games" etc? That would be a tragic twist ending to this..

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Oh god. Are they going to start calling them "boomer platformers", "boomer fighting games" etc? That would be a tragic twist ending to this..

Since the new Generation is filled with idiots, that might happen. I mean, Super Mario Bros is very old, they might call it a game for boomers

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

poggers shooters

I would be fine if Doom was called a Poggers shooter, because playing it really is Poggers.

Poggers is more than just a meme. It is a huge part of modern gamer culture.

I guess you can say memes in general are more than they seem, too.

10 hours ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

Just call them Doom clones. If we're going back to that era, might as well use the same terminology.

That makes sense.

After all, back then, a good amount of them really were just Doom clones.

39 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

I don't really mind "Metroidvania", but I think 探索アクション is a much better term for the genre. 

I can't type that, though. :(

Are they going to start calling them "boomer platformers"

To be fair, the Mario character would have been an actual baby boomer back when the Super Mario Bros trilogy was coming out.

2 hours ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

"boomer juice" has to be one of the worst names ever applied to something with a perfectly adequate and memorable one already. Maybe it's ironic but I don't care. Energy drinks suck anyway, which just makes it even stupider. Or is it less stupid? hmmmm. It's probably just a perspective difference. I was half convinced they were referring to lager or something at first until I looked it up.

Edited by LadyMistDragon