Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdarkmasterx

Don't Cry (Vanilla)

2 minutes ago, azerty said:

Is the map long?

I suggest you maybe put some more information.

It's about medium length and difficulty, there's monsters and weapons, it's Doom. What more do you need to know lol.

8 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Is there cacodemons in it?

Iyc2RK7.png

3 minutes ago, Jacek Bourne said:

What is the enemy count and expected playtime?

It's a secret 🤫

2 minutes ago, Jacek Bourne said:

Based on the monster density of that image I’d guess it’s a around 150-450 enemies

That's quite the range, but it's a good thing you're wrong because I just booted it up for a "quick" distraction from work. The enemy count made me decide to be a good boy and get back to work. For now...

2 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

That's quite the range, but it's a good thing you're wrong because I just booted it up for a "quick" distraction from work. The enemy count made me decide to be a good boy and get back to work. For now...

So thousands probably.

Just now, Jacek Bourne said:

So thousands probably.

Have you never played a xdarkmasterx before? I definitely recommend, all the more since you are a challenge/slaughter guy.

Spoiler

It was like 570 by GZDoom's initial count on Ultra-Violence. 

20 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Have you never played a xdarkmasterx before? I definitely recommend, all the more since you are a challenge/slaughter guy.

Reveal hidden contents

It was like 570 by GZDoom's initial count on Ultra-Violence. 

I most certainly will with this information and recommendation.

I played it in HNTR in Chocolate.

I didn't really like how it started off, with a horde of imps facing the player start. It was the first sign of something I didn't really like in this map: cramped combat areas.

There were so many cramped combat areas, though at least there were some appropriately big combat areas too.

I felt like the enemy density was too much at times. Does this map have difficulty settings implemented?

I liked the new coloured switches, since of course vanilla Doom only recognises 3 keys anyway you can just hit the switches right then and there and fight all the monsters that came out of the closet.

14 minutes ago, Nikku4211 said:

I felt like the enemy density was too much at times. Does this map have difficulty settings implemented?

Yes it does. There's revenants in the starting room on UV XD

I'm open to making HNTR and HMP easier, if it's still too difficult.

I have played this map on UV with dsda-doom and a metric ton of saves. Here are my points:

[Negative] the things I do not like and should be changed, which is up to you if you want to change it or not.

-I do not like the starting room. Being packed into a single room with Revenants and Imps with only a SSG and not having the room the dodge the incoming projectiles is a pain with a headache sprinkled ontop of it.

-What do you have against medikits? Having to fight several heavy baddies at once like Mancubi, a Plutonia years worth of Revenants and a big handful of Archies with no or little health is also a pain. And not to mention the hitscanners! If you're unnable to find the secrets, you will die. Full stop. And the medikit in the 10 damaging floor? Not cool man.

-Imps feel like the only reason why they are here is to bloat the enemy count up.

-A small portion of the map feels rushed. By that I mean the place with the red and beige bricks. Also filled with Imps that serve no purpose other than to catch rockets and eat them for lunch.

-A chainsaw? Why not a Berserk? Especially in the first few minutes you'll be fighting with ammo scarcity. Only having a rocket launcher with single digits rockets to kill a big group of Revenants.

-The ending room could be improved. Unable to backtrack and having to fight Revenants and Imps without seeing them. Just splash damage them. I also do not like this one

These are just suggestions, you can igrone them if you want. I'm not your mom anyways.

[Positive] Now to the good stuff. That also should make you feel a bit better :)

-I like some fights: the one where you collect the blue key on the lift is thrilling! The Cyberdemon fight with the Pain Elementals and hellish Hell Knights had given me a good spook (As I thought this was just a 'circle strafe to win' fight)!

-I really like the secrets. The one where you had to strafe to get a soulsphere in the pool of blood made me go: woah, that's clever! And actually rewards   you with an item, instead of just one health bonus.

-Visuals are sweet, I like the Fireblu-Wolfenstein room. And the sight with this rocky valley at the start of the level is marvelous though very vanilla. So that gets extra credit! At some parts like the brick room with the Icon and the pool of blood and a broken pillar and the lighting and all, It reminded me of Going Down as odd as that may sound. I'm a sucker for these small details! Texture-wise it's not too bad. I'd call it colorful.

I like this level, though it has it's flaws and will rip you to shreds if you're unprepared for certain parts it is playable and enjoyable.

I give this one 3.8 out of 5 eggs. If the kinks are ironed out it is easily a 4. Good work!

Have a nice day.

4 minutes ago, thiccyosh said:

I have played this map on UV with dsda-doom and a metric ton of saves. Here are my points:

[Negative] the things I do not like and should be changed, which is up to you if you want to change it or not.

-I do not like the starting room. Being packed into a single room with Revenants and Imps with only a SSG and not having the room the dodge the incoming projectiles is a pain with a headache sprinkled ontop of it.

That fight isn't too difficult to me. Besides, it's right at the start, so it's not like you have to go through anything again if you die there :p

-What do you have against medikits? Having to fight several heavy baddies at once like Mancubi, a Plutonia years worth of Revenants and a big handful of Archies with no or little health is also a pain. And not to mention the hitscanners! If you're unnable to find the secrets, you will die. Full stop. And the medikit in the 10 damaging floor? Not cool man.

The combat in this level isn't too tough, so I thought that the map had better punish mistakes harshly in order to be a proper challenge. There are far more stimpacks and medikits on lower skill levels.

-Imps feel like the only reason why they are here is to bloat the enemy count up.

I know, I couldn't think of much else to do with all the space, though. I am strongly against using tougher enemies as "filler", hence all the imps.

-A small portion of the map feels rushed. By that I mean the place with the red and beige bricks. Also filled with Imps that serve no purpose other than to catch rockets and eat them for lunch.

That area is more to house one of the switches and give you a reason to go to the top than anything. I admit I couldn't be bothered to design a better fight up there. Still, it's fun to kill them isn't it? XD

-A chainsaw? Why not a Berserk? Especially in the first few minutes you'll be fighting with ammo scarcity. Only having a rocket launcher with single digits rockets to kill a big group of Revenants.

Berserk would have made it too easy to conserve ammo. Maybe I'll replace it with a berserk on HNTR.

-The ending room could be improved. Unable to backtrack and having to fight Revenants and Imps without seeing them. Just splash damage them. I also do not like this one

It should be possible to see their silhouettes. What port did you play it on? Also, there is a way out. Only determined wall humpers will find it :D

13 minutes ago, thiccyosh said:

-I like some fights: the one where you collect the blue key on the lift is thrilling! The Cyberdemon fight with the Pain Elementals and hellish Hell Knights had given me a good spook (As I thought this was just a 'circle strafe to win' fight)!

Haha I hope it was a good one. I didn't want to do too many lock-in fights here, even in major encounters, so I hope the rest of them weren't too annoying :p

-I really like the secrets. The one where you had to strafe to get a soulsphere in the pool of blood made me go: woah, that's clever! And actually rewards   you with an item, instead of just one health bonus.

Good job finding that one, I was worried if the secrets were a bit too cryptic to find, so it's nice to know there's just enough to find them.

-Visuals are sweet, I like the Fireblu-Wolfenstein room. And the sight with this rocky valley at the start of the level is marvelous though very vanilla. So that gets extra credit! At some parts like the brick room with the Icon and the pool of blood and a broken pillar and the lighting and all, It reminded me of Going Down as odd as that may sound. I'm a sucker for these small details! Texture-wise it's not too bad. I'd call it colorful.

Originally, the "city" was made entirely of brown bricks, but I thought that was way too boring to look at. Good to hear it didn't come off as too messy or chaotic.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

43 minutes ago, xdarkmasterx said:

It should be possible to see their silhouettes. What port did you play it on?

I played with dsda-doom. While it was possible to see them in the room it was harder to see them the closer they got to the ledge. And with Doom monsters being 5'11" you cannot pass them. Meaning you either get punched or get blocked by a torch and die.

My point is you can't look down to properly kill them.

21 minutes ago, thiccyosh said:

I played with dsda-doom. While it was possible to see them in the room it was harder to see them the closer they got to the ledge. And with Doom monsters being 5'11" you cannot pass them. Meaning you either get punched or get blocked by a torch and die.

My point is you can't look down to properly kill them.

It's designed that way so that it's better to go in and fight them. Remember, you can't look down at all in vanilla :p

Anyway, I'll fix it.

Update: Added berserk pack near the start (except UV), and added an overhang to the last room, so monsters shouldn't alert and block the platform before you drop down. Please redownload for v2

I'm still totally convinced that a project called xdarkmasterx pandora's box, or something along the lines, with most of your single releases compiled on one long megawad, and with death exits at the end of every map, kinda like Bourgeoise DM did, will make for a great addition to your name, pal!

Your maps are some of the best vanilla maps out there. Most are cacoward material, for sure. And a whole set of them...damn i can't imagine that awesomeness ;)

Here's a complevel -1 demo. 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gha2695x49j8lq0/demo.zip/file

I think your map is pretty good except for the extremely cramped engagements such as the very first fight and several ambushes you would have no way of surviving due to the limited space. The map doesn't really feel cohesive either. The aesthetics of each section are not really connected in any way I noticed. Other than that I have no problems with the map. I enjoyed quite a bit and may look at your other works and anticipate future ones. Good job.

6 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

You should state the compatibility.

Vanilla maps are complevel 2