Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[TIME IS UP!] Literalism - A Boom-compatible CP where we do things by the map title

13 hours ago, Death Bear said:

I should have a small update to you tomorrow, so long as that’s not too late. 

Not late at all. I can wait.

leaviathans-vault_v3.rar

made some final tweaks

Map name: Leviathan's Vault
Author: the lamp
Play time: 10 mins
Music: Bobby Prince - Getting Too Tense
Textures: tnt, plutonia, icarus, dbp36
Difficulty settings: yes
Coop: yes (not tested, player starts, monsters)
Deathmatch: no

Description: upset at the lack of fortune to match his fame, doomguy decides to rob Leviathan's vault

The RC1 release of Literalism might take a while yet. I'm running into a "bad PNAMES and/or texture directory" problem that prevents the wad from launching. I thought I could fix it simply by deleting the existing TEXTURE1 and PNAMES entries and regenerating them, but that turned out to not work. Apologies to everyone for this - bear with me.

15 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

The RC1 release of Literalism might take a while yet. I'm running into a "bad PNAMES and/or texture directory" problem that prevents the wad from launching. I thought I could fix it simply by deleting the existing TEXTURE1 and PNAMES entries and regenerating them, but that turned out to not work. Apologies to everyone for this - bear with me.

Maybe you can ask Dave if you can use Rampart for this?

Okay, I found the potential cause of the problem I mentioned earlier and feel the need to ask: did anyone who used OTEX as a resource do any "drastic" texture changes? Because upon attempting another method of fixing it, I found two new texture definitions in TEXTURE1 along with 5 null patches, and I couldn't find the missing patches in either my patches/ folder or any of the map .wad files.

EDIT: The new textures in question are named OMETLH97 and OTECHA06.

I looked over my map in Slade and don't see any issues.  I definitely never used either of those textures at any point.  I'd be happy to look at it if you want to post the broken wad, although I'm far from an expert.

Update: I finally got around to attempting to fix the aforementioned null patch problem (after putting it off for two weeks, for which I can't apologize enough). As it turns out, it was not as simple as finding the missing patches in OTEX and importing them into the .wad file. Oddly enough, even though I imported the correct patches, SLADE was still complaining about a texture using invalid patch data upon me trying to save the file when the texture editor told me that the newly imported patches were being used by the textures mere moments ago.

While looking into it, I ran into another interesting issue: a texture name conflict that'd led to the WFALL* textures being not only double but triple-defined in TEXTURE1. I know that according to CC4-Tex, which was a fairly commonly used resource, those textures are meant to look like water, but apparently, the patches I'd exported from somewhere (not even sure where exactly) and accidentally overwritten look like the regular Doom 2 brown slime. And those were showing up three times in the texture list.

As a workaround, I scrapped the existing build and begun recompiling the entire wad. If I don't release RC1 within the coming week, you'll know I ran into the issues again and gave up. All mappers who participated will be free to release their maps standalone at that point if they wish. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, though. I'll keep you posted.

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

If I don't release RC1 within the coming week, you'll know I ran into the issues again and gave up. All mappers who participated will be free to release their maps standalone at that point if they wish.

If you run into the problems again... instead of giving up, it would be better to share the broken wad with us. Then we can all work together on finding a solution.

8 hours ago, MFG38 said:

As a workaround, I scrapped the existing build and begun recompiling the entire wad. If I don't release RC1 within the coming week, you'll know I ran into the issues again and gave up. All mappers who participated will be free to release their maps standalone at that point if they wish. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, though.

I agree with what Flamingo has to say here - after all efforts that've been put into the making of this project, it would be a shame to not see the final result come to fruition.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:38 PM, MFG38 said:

Recompiling the wad from scratch turned out to be a good idea - it actually boots up now! On to the final stretch, which'll be copying the ANIMATED and SWITCHES definitions over. You can expect the RC1 release by the weekend.

I hate to do this to you, but I noticed a place on my map where players can get stuck behind a crate, so that needed fixing. Here's the updated version (as well as in my post)

BreakingWalls_v16.zip

And I've run into another problem - both PrBoom+ and GZDoom crash when loading the wad, the former when starting a new game or trying to load a demo to play, the latter when trying to open the menu or console. It boots up in both, but I can't even start a new game in either without the thing crashing.

Who knew compiling a community mapset would cause me this much grief?

EDIT: Turns out it was as simple as two entries in ANIMATED having tic values of 0... *headdesk* Yet another issue has now reared its head, though. Bear with me.

Edited by MFG38