Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

3 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

With this Quake Remaster being released, I wonder if this means there will eventually be a Quake 2 Remaster. That would be amazing. I miss those old days of playing LAN games with my brother against bots in Quake 2.

N64 port in the Add-ons menu? <3

I've only made one save on the Quake remaster, but is there an option to delete saves? Or a method of removing them from the directory like can be done with similar games?

9 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I've only made one save on the Quake remaster, but is there an option to delete saves? Or a method of removing them from the directory like can be done with similar games?

C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake

You'll have to remove the .sav files manually.

s0.sav, etc.

Edited my previous post as soon as I sent it to be more informative, and I should have prefaced it with "file path on Windows systems".

I know how to make shortcuts and change target lines for Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity, but what should I add to the target lines for Dimension of the Past and Dimension of the Machine? I know that "game mg1" in the console will switch to Dimension of the Machine, but not if it's the same with target lines.

EDIT: Is the music not working for the expansions for you guys?

EDIT 2: Music does work, provided you have External Soundtrack turned on (which it should be by default). Also, to make Quakespasm shortcuts work for the expansions (except Quake 64, I don't know the details on), add "-game hipnotic", "-game rogue", "-game dopa", and "-game mg1" respectively, to the end of the target line without the quotation marks.

Edited by DavetheDoomguy : Added info +2

7 hours ago, scalliano said:

Er... sort of.

UigLSdp.png

You're not using a new enough version. It was updated specifically to support the localization strings file properly.

Or, you don't have QuakeEX.kpf in your exe folder (which contains the strings)

The support in QuakeSpasm was designed such that you can get it to work by doing nothing but extracting quakespasm into Steam Quake's 'rerelease' folder. If you just copy the id1 and other addon folders into your existing quakespasm folder it isn't enough. You need that .kpf.

Edited by Tarvis

14 minutes ago, Tarvis said:

You're not using a new enough version. It was updated specifically to support the localization strings file properly.

The support in QuakeSpasm was designed such that you can get it to work by doing nothing but extracting quakespasm into Steam Quake's 'rerelease' folder. If you just copy the id1 and other addon folders into your existing quakespasm folder it isn't enough. You need that .kpf.

That kpf file is kexPlayfab, right? I was curious since I got the latest Quakespasm and have had no problems with it yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found that file. I thought it was something else.

No. It's called QuakeEX.kpf. It's in the steam rerelease folder along with all the rest of the data.

I suppose .kpf stands for something like "Kex pack file". They're actually just zip files.

Just now, Tarvis said:

No. It's called QuakeEX.kpf. It's in the steam rerelease folder along with all the rest of the data.

Yeah, I noticed it right after asking, it's below the Quake EX exe file. I haven't had a problem with the new Quakespasm yet, so I didn't even know what file did anything to make it work properly. Runs way smoother than Quake EX, though, which is why I'm gonna play singleplayer stuff on it and use Quake EX for multiplayer.

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

I suppose .kpf stands for something like "Kex pack file". They're actually just zip files.

I googled it, and it seems to stand for Komodo Project File. 

3 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I googled it, and it seems to stand for Komodo Project File. 

Not in this case.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

Not in this case.

Then it probably is something specific to KEX, I'd assume. Doom 64 and Blood apparently have a kpf file too, after checking the other Nightdive stuff I own. I didn't see one in the Strife VE directory, though, but it's an older remaster/rerelease.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

image.png.df99a13958cd75974da4a21e8c396999.png

2 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I didn't see one in the Strife VE directory, though, but it's an older remaster/rerelease.

Strife:VE isn't a Kex project. It's basically Chocolate Strife.

21 hours ago, Gez said:

By the way, QuakeSpasm now officially supports the remaster and even its Quake 64 addon!

http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/Quakespasm.html

I haven't tested it, but VKQuake has also been updated to support the remaster.

(Edit: Seems to work, but doesn't appear to support the updated models, and like Quakespasm

you have to copy the QuakeEX.kpf file over.)

3c4bcgD.png

Edited by Urthar

4 hours ago, Tarvis said:

The .kpf file did the trick. Good stuff.

5 hours ago, Urthar said:

I haven't tested it, but YKQuake has also been updated to support the remaster.

Vkquake works? I couldn't be happier. I had tried the new quake episode with the previous version of vk I had on my pc, only to see it crash on the first or second map with a "bad server" message. And the new quake.exe has a few things I didn't quite agree with, like a huge crosshair and no binding weapons to the keys around wasd. I have to check again as I'm afk, but anyway these are minor things that add up when you're used with certain settings for so many years. So thumbs up for VK. And I hope to see epsilon / darkplaces supporting it, since it's the one with the best graphics still. 

On 9/2/2021 at 5:16 PM, Tarvis said:

I did some testing on this.

Sound clips/distorts the same no matter what you set the sound volume to, observable when you normalize the recorded audio afterward.

Thanks for all of this, this was pretty much on spot. It looks like we got rid of the original volume cvar multiplier when porting the audio system over, which caused the pre-mix volume to go from 0.7 to 1.0, which immediately started clipping all over the place. The 20% post-mix volume hack was trying to address why the game was so loud to our testers, and then I applied the same value to the music to be consistent.

In the next version, we added back the multiplier to the samples, hardcoded it to 0.4 to further avoid some clipping in the noisy areas of demo1, and then got rid of the volume scaling hack. This is at 0 music, 10 sound:

TApX0Sj.png

The overall sound level doesn't seem to overpower playing a YouTube video/my podcasts in the background, either. I might still tweak the pre-mix level, I don't think this is something we'd want to expose directly and instead rely on the current volume output slider, but just trying to stop "garbage in, garbage out" kinds of issues here.

Edited by sponge

54 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Is the nailgun firing speed slightly lower? It seemed ever so much slower but I can't tell, last played on Xbox Series S.

This has been talked about a lot already. It's a bug with the weapon wheel, that after use, slows down the game permanently (or at least until you open the menu, and then close it).

10 hours ago, Urthar said:

(Edit: Seems to work, but doesn't appear to support the updated models,

Port support for the new models will be interesting, since they're using Doom 3's MD5 format instead of the original. I do hope some ports implement support for it.

3 hours ago, sponge said:

Thanks for all of this, this was pretty much on spot. It looks like we got rid of the original volume cvar multiplier when porting the audio system over, which caused the pre-mix volume to go from 0.7 to 1.0, which immediately started clipping all over the place. The 20% post-mix volume hack was trying to address why the game was so loud to our testers, and then I applied the same value to the music to be consistent.

In the next version, we added back the multiplier to the samples, hardcoded it to 0.4 to further avoid some clipping in the noisy areas of demo1, and then got rid of the volume scaling hack. This is at 0 music, 10 sound:

TApX0Sj.png

The overall sound level doesn't seem to overpower playing a YouTube video/my podcasts in the background, either. I might still tweak the pre-mix level, I don't think this is something we'd want to expose directly and instead rely on the current volume output slider, but just trying to stop "garbage in, garbage out" kinds of issues here.

Thank you for taking a look!

17 hours ago, hfc2x said:

This has been talked about a lot already. It's a bug with the weapon wheel, that after use, slows down the game permanently (or at least until you open the menu, and then close it).

Ha, okay I don't use the wheel feature but I watched my S/O playing and I thought I might've been going nuts.

2 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Ha, okay I don't use the wheel feature but I watched my S/O playing and I thought I might've been going nuts.

I don't use the weapon wheel either. I hope it will be patched so your movement is no longer interrupted each time you use it - I understand that it slows down time but that's different from stopping the player model in his tracks.

I prefer the dpad for weapon switching, though I hope the priorities will be switched so the more powerful weapon variants are selected first.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:42 AM, Wavy said:

Hope Spiked gets support for this.

NightFright just reported on Duke4 that it has (along with some other recent features from QS). At last a reason to buy the new quake :D

On 9/6/2021 at 9:41 PM, FireballCaco said:

In the game, the audio becomes distorted on Switch when some weapons or enemies are attacking.

It's probably related to the sound issues talked about above. So it's gonna get fixed with the next major update.