Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChestedArmor

What ruins Doom (1993)?

5 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

All the things that players love to complain (except SSG lol)

How about other double barrel shotguns in other games not even comparing to the SSG?

10 minutes ago, ducon said:

The only thing that could ruin Doom 1 is that there is no super shotgun.

That's actually why I prefer Doom 1 lol. SS is way too much of a crutch weapon for me. 

On 8/27/2021 at 8:47 PM, Doomkid said:

This is 99% off topic, but I’ve noticed a trend of people saying “Doom 1993” lately. You don’t need to say the year, it’s implied :) if you’re really worried about people thinking you mean the new Doom, just say “Doom 1”.

Maybe it’s just because of seeing it called nothing but “DOOM” for 20+ years, but for some reason adding the date just looks tacky to me, but it’s a trend that’s bload up within the last year.

To try and put why this weirds me out into perspective: It feels as weird as if people started saying “Mario 85” to refer to the first Mario..

My (conspiracy?) theory is that companies "reboot" movies and game series and the like like this these days just so that they fuck up the search results for the original game, rather than numbering them or adding a subtitle to indicate that they aren't the original work. So now when someone is like "I wonder what that game Doom is all about?" they get pages full of results for the newer game rather than information about the original game. Of course, you can't do this for every game in the series or you'll just cause confusion, and the parents and grandparents out there will wind up buying the game from a few years ago rather than your brand new $70 game, so you have to wait for the older games to fall out of the public eye first.

Anyway I hate it, I'm tired of calling games that are clearly sequels, if not in "timeline" or "lore" then mechanically, Doom 2016 or Tomb Raider 2013 or Saints Row 2021 or whatever. Just use numbers! If you want to be at the top of the search results then make a new game you ding dongs!

Man....if something "ruins" Doom, at least in its classic form, I wouldn't played it and left it abandoned 25 years ago, you know....

This is more of a nitpick list rather than "ruining" a game. Doom and Doom 2 are fine the way it is, despite of all the nitpicks that exists and it's subjective. So yea...ruining is a strong word utilized in here...

7 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

E3 kicks E2’s butt all over the place.

Halls of the Damned was so good it got Sandy Peterson a Job.  If Sandy's first map was any level from episode 3 he would have been shot.

It's repetitive and limited, I'd say give it a go, even just for historical sakes, but I have little reason to replay it after my, what, 5 or 6th time completing it by now?

I did dislike the latter half, a few dead ends, with the gameplay getting slightly more "grindy".

Having replayed the original 3 episodes recently, here are the two things that slightly bothered me :

* E2M9 is by far the worst map in my eyes, not even close. It seems strange to me that it's not motionned more in this topic.

* E3M4 is the only map with a one-way door that prevents the player from revisiting missing sections/secrets/pickups/monsters.

Episode 3 was really bad. I should mention E2 too but I liked just a few maps there but the rest were kinda meh. 

Limbo all the way....after all this time I still can't understand the pattern, I finish the level always by luck...I even decided to keep a time track on myself when I was playing the level my best was 35-40 minutes, i don't remember exactly...it could have been more