Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Teo Slayer

What do you think about DOOM's Lore?

2 hours ago, Gez said:

It's more the reverse, "demons fucking hate your dude" -- most of the levels are completable in pacifist mode after all...

In Classic Doom, you're just a lone survivor who've got to deal with the mess. It's in NuDoom that they made all this mythos about the Doom Slayer's eternal crusade against demons. And they put in arenas so that you can't exit a room before killing 100% of the demons in it, then you get to the next room and there's a new lockdown and you again have to kill all demons to open the next door, repeat ad nauseam. Only way to skip the fights is to cheese the game by using glitches to clip out of geometry. Classic Doom, though? The only times you're actually meant to kill demons to finish the level are the boss fights on each of the four ExM8, as well as E4M6, MAP07, and MAP30. Everywhere else, you can just opt to run and dodge until you reach the exit, instead of fighting for real.

True there lol, that was an oversight on my end

It is a nice sign of character development though; initially Doomguy was the one being hunted, but after Daisy died he had vengeance on his mind

By the time of nuDoom, he is no longer the mouse chased by cats; now he's actively hunting demons

17 hours ago, slugger said:

1990 plot: Oh no! Monsters.

2021 plot: [...] Samark'iddle'd the Un-Angel gazed banefully upon the grinning Stunnarg of Drjlz'blyuan. "No, father! I will not let you enjoin the ruby of Ammad!" he banefully screamed. Centuries of hyperwar had led up to this moment, touching upon the boundaries of Woad-Earth where bivouac'ed the fallen sovereignty of Lower Upper Heaven; yea even unto the territories of Schiwan'asd'dsgl and Pfdsklgfjg;f, whence arose the Blu'ddud''durr'dud. From his nega-perch on the Gl'fogms'dsfds, J. Stalvern the Protagonist of award-winning first-person shooter Doom (1993) sighed and readied his rocket launcher, banefully. "Looks like I'm gonna have to shoot some ultrademons. Time to rock. Who's your daddy? Anyone else remember Spawn by Todd MacFarlane?" He did a triple jump. Then a dubstep remix of a Slipknot song started looping and it was super badass. Continue reading for only $8.99 from your UAC Account

"YOU MUST NOT RESURRECT DYNGUS THE DEMON KING, FOOOOOOLLLLL-" [transforms into angel beast and explodes]

[ months later in the final battle ]

"You have been lied to, human. I am NOT Dyngus the Demon King! I am...DYNGUS THE GODSATAN!!!" [dies]

23 hours ago, KubaloBlackMT said:

I think Doom Eternal's lore is pretty wacked out. Like everyone else said It's pretty much taken a big sniff of crack to come up with a story, and I'm sure this is the effect of trying to make the most awesomed dawesomness and not restricting yourself very much. I think we've given the developers to much freedoom to do whatever they want because of how good they've been to the community, and so the fans will suggest crack and the developers will make their own crack and everyone is ok with it because their image of the game is crack. Doom Eternal, to put it in an image understandable to most, is like that time you took all of your toys and mixed them together into one world, even if it didn't make sense.

And we let them do this, mind you. Because we gave them the engaging personality that to them says: "lets add everything that's fun and cool that we could possibly think of into Doom Eternal". You got He-Man, Warhammer 40K, Robocop, Terminator (Basically 80's incarnate pretty much), Guns n Swords, Ancient warriors that have sci-fi stuff, Big man with goofy costume, villain priests with saturday morning cartoon villain voices, action figure collectibles, cheat codes that are physical in-game because STUFF, Physical in-game music albums because STUFF, oh oh and the Doomslayer has a mancave room with guitars and comic books and guns and swords and 3d printed robots and Hugo Martin pizza and has the biggest gaming setup and a personal demon slaughtering martial arts training room like What in the absolute mother, father, sister, brother, and pet of a Fuck!

The funniest thing is that id (specifically Hugo I believe) stated early on that they deliberately made Eternal's story feel like something from a comic book or Saturday morning cartoon, so they pretty much chokeslammed the story into wackass cheesetown fully intentionally and just totally stopped taking it seriously

I do enjoy nuDoom lore, but it's so easy to poke fun at it.

I find it confusion and I still don't know much about the lore other than demon bad and UAC

I prefered the story whenever it was not shoved agressively into your face.

I enjoy 2016's way of handling the story because I feel as if you, as the Doomguy, is just fed up at the idea of listening to these people trying to rationalize their use of the Argent Energy. To him, all that matters is this energy has brought the demons out and they need to be put out, alongside the Argent energy. All it'll do will be bad things and you're here to stop the bad things from happening.

Doom Eternal's story faltered for me because in this installment, YOU stopped being the Doom Guy. I say so because of the way you're no longer in his POV at all times, he just becomes another character in the world during these third person cutscenes and you kinda happen to control him. This makes the story feel even more generic to me because it's told about the same way than every other story ever told. In terms of story content, something we could have just left out is the way that everyone fawns over Doom Guy and idolize him. It felt super cringy, especially with that one scientist's logs. You know which one.

Doom's initial premise is interesting and could be much better explored. A single survivor who, for some reason, we'll never know, continued to fight alone instead of surrendering. In Doom II all seems lost, the infernal hordes arrived on Earth and spread like a plague, the story took an even more frightening catastrophic turn. After Doom got lost along the way, in short, the Eternal Doom story has gone beyond the "spice" of fantasy, Doomslayer still has a simply ridiculous Lmao dragon. The universe without duality, where only the evil side of the "Dark Lord" really exists, is very strange.

Could it be a galaxy-brain play that original Doom's backstory was so virtually non-existent that they choose to make it equally meaningless in 2016/Eternal by creating an overcomplicated meth-rant that virtually renders it non-existent to a lot of people?

5 hours ago, Gemidori said:

The funniest thing is that id (specifically Hugo I believe) stated early on that they deliberately made Eternal's story feel like something from a comic book or Saturday morning cartoon, so they pretty much chokeslammed the story into wackass cheesetown fully intentionally and just totally stopped taking it seriously

I do enjoy nuDoom lore, but it's so easy to poke fun at it.

I'm not exactly familiar with comic books or cartoons, but the story of it didn't exactly call to mind either of those things. With all its lengthy exposition about this lofty nonsense you probably don't care about, it felt more like one of the countless poor Tolkien imitators found throughout the fantasy genre. "Athathwe the fair slew Móthgóthgóg the bad on Mt.Thunderhammer on the eve of the 69th lunar solstice cycle" and on and on. I haven't got an issue with the "ultimate badass" schtick but it's just so full of itself.

I enjoyed it up untill Ancient Gods 2.

I really thought the twist was stupid.

Something about it just feels wrong with me.

Actually thats the majority of the Ancient Gods Lore and Story.

I really feel like it should have been a whole new game with all the extra details we need.

3 hours ago, Theperson said:

I enjoyed it up untill Ancient Gods 2.

I really thought the twist was stupid.

Something about it just feels wrong with me.

Actually thats the majority of the Ancient Gods Lore and Story.

I really feel like it should have been a whole new game with all the extra details we need.

The Ancient Gods Part 2 really destroyed everything. Why is the Doomslayer falling asleep after defeating Davoth?

I love the short Lore of the Classic Dooms and Doom 3.

A Portal to Hell opens.

It is Hell, not metaphorical, real Hell, End.

I don't like what they have done in Eternal, or more in the Expansions (love the Maingame, can't stand the Expansions for many Reasons).

The Movie was also to afraid to open just a Portal to Hell.

They made Resident Evil in Space out of it.

Read one Book, they made Aliens out of it, also too afraid of Hell :)...

You don't have to explain everything, let Things stay in the Dark.

I think the minimal lore we get about doomguy himself (the fact that his family is now gone), is enough to keep things interesting, it makes doomguy feel more like an actual person with motivations.

13 hours ago, Azuris said:

I love the short Lore of the Classic Dooms and Doom 3.

A Portal to Hell opens.

It is Hell, not metaphorical, real Hell, End.

I don't like what they have done in Eternal, or more in the Expansions (love the Maingame, can't stand the Expansions for many Reasons).

The Movie was also to afraid to open just a Portal to Hell.

They made Resident Evil in Space out of it.

Read one Book, they made Aliens out of it, also too afraid of Hell :)...

You don't have to explain everything, let Things stay in the Dark.

Didn't the Doom Annihilation movie (which I haven't watched but heard it was bad) have it be an actual portal to actual Hell? 

5 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

Didn't the Doom Annihilation movie (which I haven't watched but heard it was bad) have it be an actual portal to actual Hell? 

No, actually, it just had a portal to a dull boring set full of goofy morons in costumes and awful computer generated effects

2 hours ago, scalliano said:

Doom Annihilation did have Hell, for all of about three minutes.

I thought that hell was 96 minutes long . . .  :/

Not much of lore (excluding Doom 3) just a story to get you going...your only reward is carnage, no guts no glory...

Now if we put Doom 3 into consideration I think it has both a story and lore behind it with the audio logs scattered in the base telling it for you