Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain POLAND

The ULTIMATE slaughter map!

I want you guys to help me out. I have played lots of slaughter maps and I want to make the ULTIMATE slaughter map. This map will make Okuplok look like e1m1 or entryway by comparison. My plan is to have over 1 MILLION MONSTERS. The map will take weeks to complete (you will have to save and keep coming back to it). But there will be enough health, ammo, and powerups to beat it.

Do you think that it can be done?

The thing is, you can put tons and tons of enemies in this level, but people won't bother if the map itself isn't fun to play, which would be a bit of a challenge when the main focus is having a big monster count. Personally I believe an "ULTIMATE" slaughter map, if that even is a fair statement to make on anything, would be a really well made level within the slaughter map genre, possibly with a suprisingly high enemy count. Like other people are saying, maybe you should improve your mapping skills before trying to be better than an entire genre of doom mapping

1 hour ago, Captain POLAND said:

Do you think that it can be done?

The answer is "no"...

just placing 1 million of anything is going to be a problem already, not to mention that you'll probably also want the map to be playable, rather than something people would use as a "nuts substitute" 10 - 20 years from now... Yes, we have source ports, yes they are "limit removing", no you're not gonna build a map which will end up being anywhere near 1M things that's still gonna be playable...

Also, make a normal-size map first, slaughter or whatever, then see if you can manage something bigger....

6 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Key elements to make the perfect slaughter map:

-Do NOT post screenshots when releasing it.

-Do NOT specify the required sourceport.

-Do NOT playtest it on all the skill levels.

-Do NOT, and I repeat, do NOT put less than 4000 Archviles on the starting room.

-If anybody complains, just reply "lol" and never log in here again.

It never fails, trust me.

you forgot the part where instead of actual info in the post it's just incoherent nothing about how it's the best map ever and that you should play it right now

I ask you to analyze your project and plan the scope more thoroughly. Even more so if it's your first time mapping, make some smaller maps first, see how you do.

I don't even think you could fit a million monsters in a good map

using the smallest monster the lost soul, a million lost souls alone would take up a 32,000 x 32,000 units space which is a insane ammount of space

6 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

My plan is to have over 1 MILLION MONSTERS.

Shoot the pistol and your pc is fucking dead.

6 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

The map will take weeks to complete (you will have to save and keep coming back to it). But there will be enough health, ammo, and powerups to beat it.

I'm not into slaughter maps, I much prefer less monsters with more refined gameplay, but I probably speak for a lot of the community when I say that just doesn't sound fun.

And when I read the title of this post I was thinking of a map that was like a slaughter-remix of Doom 1, so if something like that exists please let me know because I'd love to play it.

I once made a 100,000 monster map. It wouldn't run in any of the source ports I tried. A million monsters would require 1,000 such maps.

Sounds about as fun as cleaning my teeth with a belt sander. Not to mention it would play with a frame rate comparable to that of a flipbook being operated by a drunk guy, assuming it ran at all.

If the map doesn't consist of only FIREBLU or GRAYTALL then I'd be very disappointed.

Make the design really good. 

Also, I think a million monsters would make it unplayable even on the most advanced source port. Maybe 750k?

your definition of ultimate is very strange, but that definition will vary wildly from person to person i suppose.

anyways,

exercises in excess don't lead anywhere. consider what you are building, why, and how. an "ultimate" slaughter map may wind up only having 1000 monsters. it's all about context. go play some older TimeOfDeath wads or somethin in the mean time. or just make some regular maps and work your way up. you certainly can't make the ultimate without making a bunch of non-ultimate stuff first.

Edited by msx2plus

12 hours ago, msx2plus said:

your definition of ultimate is very strange, but that definition will vary wildly from person to person i suppose.

anyways,

exercises in excess don't lead anywhere. consider what you are building, why, and how. an "ultimate" slaughter map may wind up only having 1000 monsters. it's all about context. go play some older TimeOfDeath wads or somethin in the mean time. or just make some regular maps and work your way up. you certainly can't make the ultimate without making a bunch of non-ultimate stuff first.

Yeah I need more practice but I want to make it eventually.

20 hours ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

Unless you're already an incredibly experienced mapper, I recommend you shoot for something on a smaller scale, how about making a slaughtermap first? I don't really think there could be an "ultimate" slaughtermap, there's to many sub-genres and not everybody will have the same taste.

I have made a few maps but they are just experiments, not for other people to play yet.

20 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

What do you mean when you say “The ULTIMATE slaughter map”?

I mean the biggest one with the most monsters.

20 hours ago, Mr Masker said:

The thing is, you can put tons and tons of enemies in this level, but people won't bother if the map itself isn't fun to play, which would be a bit of a challenge when the main focus is having a big monster count. Personally I believe an "ULTIMATE" slaughter map, if that even is a fair statement to make on anything, would be a really well made level within the slaughter map genre, possibly with a suprisingly high enemy count. Like other people are saying, maybe you should improve your mapping skills before trying to be better than an entire genre of doom mapping

I never said it would necessarily be better, it would just be bigger and more over the top.

20 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

The answer is "no"...

just placing 1 million of anything is going to be a problem already, not to mention that you'll probably also want the map to be playable, rather than something people would use as a "nuts substitute" 10 - 20 years from now... Yes, we have source ports, yes they are "limit removing", no you're not gonna build a map which will end up being anywhere near 1M things that's still gonna be playable...

Also, make a normal-size map first, slaughter or whatever, then see if you can manage something bigger....

What if all of the monsters aren't in the map at the start?

19 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

obviously someone hasn't played Sunder yet...

I have played all 3 nuts wads, holy hell, okuplok, nochance, and others. None of them come close to what I want to do.

18 hours ago, Gothic said:

Key elements to make the perfect slaughter map:

-Do NOT post screenshots when releasing it.

-Do NOT specify the required sourceport.

-Do NOT playtest it on all the skill levels.

-Do NOT, and I repeat, do NOT put less than 4000 Archviles on the starting room.

-If anybody complains, just reply "lol" and never log in here again.

It never fails, trust me.

There will be no monsters in the first room, just powerups. I do plan to have a room with over 32,000 arch-viles, and the trick is there are invulnerability spheres and you have to 'surf' the archviles while invulnerable to get to the end of the room.

17 hours ago, maxmanium said:

A million monsters? You're shitting me, right? Who would want to actually play that?

It will be sort of like a huge mapset or megawad, except all in one level. You do it in segments over time.

17 hours ago, Mayomancer said:

I ask you to analyze your project and plan the scope more thoroughly. Even more so if it's your first time mapping, make some smaller maps first, see how you do.

I'll probably make some smaller ones to release and test first.

17 hours ago, Mystic 256 said:

I don't even think you could fit a million monsters in a good map

using the smallest monster the lost soul, a million lost souls alone would take up a 32,000 x 32,000 units space which is a insane ammount of space

But it's possible with some source ports, right?

17 hours ago, N1ck said:

Shoot the pistol and your pc is fucking dead.

I'm not into slaughter maps, I much prefer less monsters with more refined gameplay, but I probably speak for a lot of the community when I say that just doesn't sound fun.

And when I read the title of this post I was thinking of a map that was like a slaughter-remix of Doom 1, so if something like that exists please let me know because I'd love to play it.

Well what about using scripting to make it so that, for example, once you kill a room full of 1000 monsters and enter the next room, the next 2000 monsters will spawn? So they're not all in the map in the beginning?

16 hours ago, slugger said:

I once made a 100,000 monster map. It wouldn't run in any of the source ports I tried. A million monsters would require 1,000 such maps.

Don't you mean 10?

16 hours ago, SilentD00mer said:

Please, don't put 1 million revenants is this map.

It will be a mix of all different types of monsters. Maybe some custom monsters will be there too.

16 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Sounds about as fun as cleaning my teeth with a belt sander. Not to mention it would play with a frame rate comparable to that of a flipbook being operated by a drunk guy, assuming it ran at all.

Could it be done so that the monsters spawn in in segments, like you clear one room and then the next empty room is suddenly filled with monsters?

15 hours ago, Bobby “lolmcswagger” said:

Sorry KID! I already made a map with 20000000 monsters!!! Can you play it? NO!!!

I think you're joking.

14 hours ago, Wavy said:

If the map doesn't consist of only FIREBLU or GRAYTALL then I'd be very disappointed.

I'll probably use lots of custom textures

14 hours ago, FireballCaco said:

Make the design really good. 

Also, I think a million monsters would make it unplayable even on the most advanced source port. Maybe 750k?

I think there will be maybe 20,000 or so monsters at a time, and new ones will spawn in as you progress through the level. That can be done with scripting, right?

11 minutes ago, Captain POLAND said:

I never said it would necessarily be better, it would just be bigger and more over the top.

"ULTIMATE slaughter map" is a very broad statement, apologies for misinterpreting it

If you create an actual map and not Nuts 4 Im with you...clever design and right item placement is the key I think....otherwise make a meme map with 10.000 archviles in it...still a wad, now seriously do whatever you want, a well made (serious) map is always welcomed by me.

1 hour ago, Captain POLAND said:

What if all of the monsters aren't in the map at the start?

The answer is still "no"...

Your monsters will leave corpses, you also need the ammo, health and armour to kill everything...

Chances are you won't wanna make players fight 100,000 monsters in one and the same room, let alone 1M, so you'll need lots of geometry.... You're gonna have fights with tens of thousands of things active at the same time.... meaning: the game needs to calculate where shit moves, where it aims, if it infights, etc... And don't even think about numbers like that in ports like GZDoom, because the larger overhead it has for "thing management" is going to put your ideas to a screeching halt before you even know what happened....

if it were that easy to "just make a 1M monster map", just for the sake of shitting biggest turd ever known in order to be able to make some arbitrary claim to fame, then somebody would've done it already, and the fact that it didn't happen should be nothing short of eye-opening...

8 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

if it were that easy to "just make a 1M monster map", just for the sake of shitting biggest turd ever known in order to be able to make some arbitrary claim to fame, then somebody would've done it already, and the fact that it didn't happen should be nothing short of eye-opening...

Nailed it. This reminded me that even today nuts.wad still lags some people's computers (depending on the port).