Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Humilating Deaths

What, in your humble opinions, has to be the worst way to go when playing a nice game of Doom?

1. Getting mowed down by a fireball that you saw coming 5 seconds ago
2. Getting cut in half by a shotgunner that's a good distace away, RIGHT after fighting a large monster (i.e. a baron)
3. t3h surroundage.

Shooting a rocket into a wall when you're right next to it.

Getting killed right when changing weapons after inadvertently picking up a new one.

Getting knocked into or especially walking into a pit of lava or slime with no way out.

Power outtage.

Trying to use a chainsaw or berserk fist on a Cyberdemon.

On deathmatch, getting vaporized by your own BFG shot.

Going the wrong way on the torch puzzle in map 30 of Evilution.

In Hexen, falling off a cliff, and forgetting that you had a Chaos Device.

Purposely strafing into a rocket that wasn't going to hit you anyway, because you for some reason thought that doing so was a good idea.

Sad part is that was Solo play too. o_O

I've yet to get zdaemon to work right. :P

Linguica said:

Purposely strafing into a rocket that wasn't going to hit you anyway, because you for some reason thought that doing so was a good idea.

Being killed by the final Baron on the D:E demo map04 right as your rocket slams into it, killing it. I was like 'NOOOO!'.

The worst death in any game EVER though is probably death by self-inflicted caltrop wound in Team Fortress Classic. Sadly, I've seen this happen twice.

Getting killed by a shotgunner who is standing right in front of you because you were switching from the SSG to the regular shotgun to avoid wasting ammo.

Just today, I was playing Berserker79's letdie2.wad (A ZDoom map for Ultimate Doom). Inside the fortress, there's a door blocked by some radioactive-looking bars that make an electrical droning sound. My first thought when encountering them was, "Those things probably hurt." I move the marine into them to make sure...
Gibbage.

I agree with the strafing into the projectile that wouldn't have hit you, and the falling into an inescapable death pit. Ending up in an inescapable non-death area is even worse, of course, but I guess that doesn't count unless you have the rocket launcher on hand too...

Another hateful one is being killed by a zombie at great distance (didn't hear it, didn't see it, but dead you are).

Being killed by an overly trigger-happy co-op buddy when you were all beefed up with guns n' ammo can suck too.

Oh yeah, and taking my hand off the mouse to scratch my nose just before a monster comes around the corner.

Draconio said:

Ending up in an inescapable non-death area is even worse, of course, but I guess that doesn't count unless you have the rocket launcher on hand too...

It also normally means that you were playing a really crappy map, in which case you probably shouldn't care too much anyway.

Getting killed by the talking switch in DSV4 map29 is pretty embarrassing - it warns you several times before killing you.

Attacking an enemy with the rocket launcher, then strafing behind a wall to avoid an attack... just as a rocket is launched.

Hiding behind a pillar to avoid a reverent fire ball, hearing it explode, and popping back out only to get hit in the face by another reverent fire ball that was hidden by the first.

-or-

trying to be 1337 by taking on a horde of demons with just your fist and/or chainsaw, and failing.

Ichor said:

Trying to use a chainsaw or berserk fist on a Cyberdemon.

Has anyone ever successfully done this? I mean...I've tried and it made me come to the conclusion that cyberdemons are dumb. They are. Not me since I tried using a berserk fist on one.

Black Hand said:
Spending the extra second so you can save ammo by shooting a pinky in the mouth, of coarse it comes up and eats you.

Deciding you don't care about the ammo and trying to take out a horde of demons with a SSG instead of a chainsaw... only to find out that it reloads too slowly to keep the demons at bay.

I played the devastation multiplayer demo yesterday. I didn't know that the barrels standing there would explode if you'd fire at them. I assumed they wouldn't because I had hit a different type of barrel before and it didn't do anything. Someone ran in my sight so I fired at him, accidentily hitting the barrels a few feet away... They exploded.

This is deadnail's: bleeding to death in a public library after a paper cut.

Edit: oh, you meant in Doom... well, getting punched and then falling in the slime pit trap in E1M3 is funny.