Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChestedArmor

Good weapon mods?

Im searching for good weapon mods that synergise with the vanilla weapons,

but I only get either meme (haha we got it, it does a bagillion damamge...) or reskin weapons.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I should mention I was thinking about mods that add weapons, not modify existing.

I don't really play gameplay mods often right now but when I did I quite enjoyed Supercharge, this mod doesn't really change the functions of too many weapons but the interesting looking new sprites and the stuff that it does add create a good sort of vanilla style but different approach which works well when using it.

Smooth Doom and Beautiful Doom are basically your best bets if you want to keep it vanilla gameplay but want better weapon effects. Another one that is close to this is EVP which is Enhanced Vanilla Project. Xim's GZDoom3 is another really good one but the weapons are stronger since the Doom 3 weapons were stronger. I have one called REBUVRO that literally uses Doom's stock animations but smooths them out for animation purposes while keeping the vanilla timing and power. Weapons of Saturn is a really good mention here too. 

Listed: in order of Vanilla power and timing output.

1. Smooth Doom

2. Beautiful Doom

3. Rebuvro

4. EVP

5.Led's Generic Weapon Mod

6.Weapons of Saturn

7. Xim's GZDoom3 

Edit--- And I just read that you want an expanded arsenal? Oh boy. Thats issues, because even though its been done a lot it has not been done in the way you want. Brutal Doom v21, or Brutal Weapons Only is about the best I can offer you. Brutal Doom v20 has a larger arsenal as well. Now I just feel like Rick Harris instead of Billy Mays.

Edited by kalensar : needed to add info

Highway to Hell, although there is going to be a lot of overlap between weapon mods that synergise with the original ones and weapon mods that are just reskins.

can echo Supercharge being a good vanilla-adjacent mod. It's not just weapons, monsters as well, but most of the behavior is mostly the same. The only difference is that Supercharge doesn't go by the original Doom damage calculations, iirc, it makes damage more consistent (weapons and monsters both). 

DoomRLA, short for Doom Rogue-Like Arsenal, a kickass weapons mod by Yholl. Also available is a monster pack that goes with it.

Beautiful Doom has a great set of weapons. It does alter the gameplay a little bit but not quite as much as something like Complex, Brutal or Supercharge. It lives up to its name, too.

If you want some weapons with a notably different feel (and by extension, balance), than I can give a few pointers:

- Combined Arms: An absurd but really fun weapons mod with multiple playable character with different altfires on each weapon. Sort of arcadey feeling, but I'd recommend loading up a decently tough WAD if you want a challenge.
- Iron Snail: Weapons mod meant to emulate the style and feel of weapons you'd find in a game like Metal Slug. Simple, but enjoyable.
- Samsara: Ever wanted to play through your favorite WADs as characters from other classic FPS games, like the guard from Marathon or Corvus from Heretic? This one's for you.
- Guncaster: Completely bonkers mod featuring ridiculous weaponry, spells, insane movement, and so even more. Best played with the most intense mapset you can grab, because the weapons here are OP as hell and will cut through most regular levels like butter.
- Trailblazer: Made by the same modder as Guncaster, this one is basically the Doom equivalent to a playable 80s action movie. Like GC and Combined Arms, get a harder set of maps if you want a challenge.
- Angled Doom: This comes with a completely vanilla version as well, however the version in question I'm talking about features some new weapons and monster variants. Not exactly reinventing the wheel, just kinda adds a little bit more spice to the traditional Doom arsenal, as well as the enemies. 

Those are all I could think off the top of my head. I was gonna put Russian Overkill but that is not exactly a mod you'd play if you have any semblance of challenge in mind lol. Hopefully at least one of these is enjoyable to you. I'd recommend checking out the channel "ICARUSLIV3S" on YouTube if you wanna find more non-meme weapons mods, he's covered some of these and a ton more.

A ton of sick suggestions here already, I can echo Final Doomer and DoomRL Arsenal as super fun, with tons of replay value, what I would broadly label as "lore friendly" additions if that makes sense? If you're into more vanilla+ style stuff Dead MarineBeautiful Doom and Faspons are pretty slick, and I don't think anyone has brought 'em up in this thread yet, haha!

I've also been getting pretty stuck into Supercharge of late as well, which is more of a gameplay mod than a strictly weapons only mod, designed for its own unique Paradise set of levels, but also plays real nice with most other popular mapsets I've thrown at it, haha! Hopefully that gives you a decent starting point! :)

EDIT: While not strictly a weapons only mod more of a full blown gameplay mod, Corruption Cards is a rippa of a time, adds a ton of replayability to the game and is compatible with a heap of weapon / monster mods!

Edited by Fabricator : Added links for convenience. Added new mod(s).

1 hour ago, ChestedArmor said:

I really like the DoomRL arsenal and monster pack,

but I can only load one at a time.

How do I start Doom with both?

drag both files from file explorer or desktop into your GZDoom exe or a shortcut to your GZDoom exe

5 hours ago, ChestedArmor said:

I really like the DoomRL arsenal and monster pack,

but I can only load one at a time.

How do I start Doom with both?

Download ZDL. Its a mod loader and really easy to setup. It runs on Windows and Linux natively. 

Alternatively if you would prefer drag and drop then you can load multiple mods by doing the Cntrl + Click method. The order that you click is the order that GZD will load them so you can do this load multiple mods in the correct order of

1. Maps

2.level enhancements like texture packs and music

3. Monsters

4. weapons

5. HUD

Thats also the same order you would put them in ZDL as well.