Dubbag

Hangar or Entryway?

Which Do You Prefer?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Hangar
    • Entry Way

32 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

The original version of Hangar lacked the high-up secret hallway overlooking the Nukage zig-zag room

Just went to check and holy crap

what.jpg.9f6587b01e3d82343cdc102a290178e9.jpg

It doesn't!

lets all just admit it. the only reason we chose hanger was because d_runnin has given us brain damage with how many times we have heard it over and over and over again.

18 minutes ago, The BMFG said:

lets all just admit it. the only reason we chose hanger was because d_runnin has given us brain damage with how many times we have heard it over and over and over again.

Yeah. It's starting to get D_NUMBIN.

Despite being a Doom II person, I just can't choose Entryway. Hangar is the Super Mario Bros.' W1-1 of Doom IMO.

50 minutes ago, The BMFG said:

Brain damage ?? What about the subliminal messages ?? :O

6 hours ago, Dubbag said:

MAP01 is like = Here's Doom and a little bit more in every way

Yeah... except a little bit less space, and a little bit less action. E1M1 is bigger and has a way cooler courtyard. It also has nice encounters and mini-setpieces. Everyone remembers the zig-zag, and the dark room at the end. The nukage and barrels add a little spice. I think MAP01 would have been more interesting if the outdoor areas were connected, and if there were a few more enemies. It's not a bad level, but not as memorable as E1M1 in my opinion.

7 hours ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

Hangar, mainly since it doesn't cause me to feel irrational rage anytime I reply it.

I actually like Entryway as a level, but for some reason I feel this too. I have no idea what it is, maybe I've played it too much.

Entryway wins design-wise as the first level.

First few envoys of the zombie horde ahead, seemingly unaware of your presence.  You could turn back now and escape the carnage, but you choose to take this step off the ledge into a dark and dramatic pillar chamber with the gate. (Literary) no way back now. As you enter the gate the wave of brainless monters pours at you from around the corner. Hell on Earth awaits. 

Hangar what? Blue carpet? Dumb beige/silver door? Green armor stuck on a top of a ladder as a museum exhibit? 

The first chamber of Entryway is a perfect first game scene and sets the mood so greatly. Also how much less is more is Hangar: only 2 types of monsters, a single door to open, no barrels, all "bigger" pick ups moved into side rooms/secrets, the perfect chainsaw secret. Only essentials are in place to introduce the player to the game. 

Entryway for me!

Easily the best default deathmatch map in both of the 2 iWADs... I like the 'opening shot' of the map better, too.

Hangar is a perfect introduction and a great map, no doubt
Entryway is OK but compared to Hangar it's not that impressive

Hangar looks and sounds better (map 15 pulls off d_runnin, Hangar does not) and doesn't waste time in giving you a shotgun. It's also more straightforward minus the secrets. Yet, I dunno why I just like Entryway more.

I've played too much Entryway, due to modding Doom II quite much in my free time.

Hangar only has its music and the first part with armor and shotgun as memorable in my head.

Entryway is harder than Hangar

Hangar looks pretty good for Doom I standards.

Hard to say,

I usually am more a nutter to mid- and endlevels.

Ah, screw it:

Hangar,

You get the Shotgun super early

and Entryway is too much braindead chainsaw wielding.

Maybe because of the music and maybe because of the monster placement, or just nostalgia, I prefer Hangar. One thing I don't like much is the monsters with the back turned to the player in the beginning of the level in Entryway, so because of this and other details the atmosphere feels "more realistic" in Hangar to me.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

The original version of Hangar lacked the high-up secret hallway overlooking the Nukage zig-zag room, it lacked the button near that start that opened up to the courtyard, it lacked the wall that opens up between the computer room and the courtyard, and it has no multiplayer shotguns lying around for deathmatch.. All those cool little things were added in later!

Oh... Thanks for reminding me that I had indeed played a different version of Hangar... However I wasn't quite sure, as I'm afk and I've seen only the udoom version of it for what, 25 years,  but I knew it lacked the secrets you mentioned, especially the way to the outer area from the start. 

Entryway works out of the box

And has access to the outer area. Although it makes indeed little sense as a single player map... 

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Ok, so if we’re talking the pre-Ultimate Doom version of Hangar, which lacks most of the fun secrets, Entryway wins it. Hangar needs all the secrets that were introduced in later versions & Ultimate Doom to actually win this battle!

The original version of Hangar lacked the high-up secret hallway overlooking the Nukage zig-zag room, it lacked the button near that start that opened up to the courtyard, it lacked the wall that opens up between the computer room and the courtyard, and it has no multiplayer shotguns lying around for deathmatch.. All those cool little things were added in later!

I disagree since I feel that E1M1 doesn't need all the secrets and additions added in later versions. The secret hallway overlooking the Nukage zig-zag room, was added in version 1.2 and I found that a nice addition to the gameplay in the level.

The other additions such as the switch and the shotgun (maybe version 1.9 that they were introduced ??) are in my view unnecessary and even game breaking when playing the level in singleplayer (though the shotgun doesn't appear then). The switch would've worked in multiplayer if there was a way to get back to the starting area from the courtyard. The only thing that the switch added to E1M1, was two additional ways to get into the courtyard which I believe wasn't necessary for the level.

The shotgun in the starting area should've been there since day one and placed in the center of the area on the blue carpet. It feels like a cheap-ass way to rebalance the level . . .

Of the two, I slightly prefer Entryway just for the opening visual composition. Those angular stairs are just so iconic to me. System Control is my favorite IWAD Map 01 though cuz Berserk.