Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Domestic-Weirdo

Patch The Doom 64 Re-releases

45 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Console version. 

It's equally as big of a pain in the ass as fixing the brightness and remapping the controls every time I play the N64 original.

my bad.

Without meaning to come across as attacking Doom 64 (again), what are the numbers for people who purchased/played it? Also, what are the numbers for people who played it to completion? 

The first few maps are a bit off-putting, and while the gameplay dramatically improves in later maps, it's hard to imagine too many modern players persisting with it. It doesn't seem strange that they aren't throwing time or money at it.

9 hours ago, MajorRawne said:

Without meaning to come across as attacking Doom 64 (again), what are the numbers for people who purchased/played it? Also, what are the numbers for people who played it to completion? 

Nobody in this website is able to provide you with even ballpark numbers to this, either due to lack of resources (achievement numbers don't record every player for example, Switch doesn't even have this data), or because the data is very much behind an NDA.

On 8/21/2021 at 7:28 PM, ChopBlock223 said:

Potentially someone at Nightdive already has the solution worked out in their head, in case they get the greenlight one day.

This problem was fixed internally the same week as release, when it was found by end users. It does not occur in the Stadia version as a result (I know, "yay"...). If there is a patch in the future it will include this fix.

What's a Stadia? /s

Anyway, I'll just have to maintain my cautious optimism that another patch gets approved one day. Until then I can still very much enjoy the game anyway, and I'm still very pleased with the port.

On 9/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, MajorRawne said:

It won't cover every platform, but Steam is listing approx. 200k-500k owners, with about 400-500 getting the game clear/extra levels clear achievements.

Of course, a bunch of people also got the game as a preorder bonus for Eternal, and are counted in those numbers.

3 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

It won't cover every platform, but Steam is listing approx. 200k-500k owners, with about 400-500 getting the game clear/extra levels clear achievements.

Steams public stats are extremely inaccurate for singleplayer games, given how profile permissions work. This isn't correct.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Steams public stats are extremely inaccurate for singleplayer games, given how profile permissions work. This isn't correct.

Wasn't claiming accuracy at all. It's obviously grossly undercounted, plus what you said.

If I had to ballpark it, the correct number is probably somewhere around 2-3 million units.

EDIT: Kinsie beat me to it.

Wait, what is this? Doom 64 just got patched this morning.

Did Id Software change their mind after all? :o

40 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Did Id Software change their mind after all? :o

Was mostly up to Bethesda, but basically, yes.

Well now, looks like I might add something to the Steam wish list. ;-)

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

Was mostly up to Bethesda, but basically, yes.

Oh, right. Every AAA studio these days seems to belong to another anyway, so I got them confused.

Very neat to see these fixes. I first tried it a few weeks back after binging the original EX version and was a bit dismayed.

I can mimic the original framerate cap through my nvidia control panel. Now to see if I can stomp this itty bitty amount of input lag..!

Thank you for the patch! One minor problem that still persists: the game defaults Use to L-Trigger and A does nothing when Use should be mapped to A and L-Trigger should be the Sprint/Speed button.

8 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

Thank you for the patch! One minor problem that still persists: the game defaults Use to L-Trigger and A does nothing when Use should be mapped to A and L-Trigger should be the Sprint/Speed button.

This is not an issue at all; The defaults are quite intentional (and we aren't changing them this late, that would be absurd/pointless), and you are intentionally able to rebind the controls to your own preferred settings.

We design the defaults of each game around the most optimal way to play given the physical dimensions of the average controller people will have (so for example, not the Elite controllers). This takes into account a key aspect in what you lose when you have to press a face button, as you must use your thumb for both the face buttons and the sticks. For Turok and Powerslave, this is why the jump key became the left trigger as it wasn't doing anything else (Turok2 of course having alt-fires made that impractical) and full maneuverability while jumping made more sense. With Doom64 it was much the same; if you have the interaction button on the face, you cannot move the camera anymore while pressing it, restricting your ability to respond and maneuver around activating doors, walls and lifts. As there's no jumping, and always running makes more sense on an analogue movement stick (because Doom doesn't really have running so much as it does a speed range modifier), having interaction on the trigger made vastly more sense.

Edited by Edward850

That makes more sense when you put it that way. Thank you for the insight Edward. There was something else that that some Steam users noticed in this comparison linked here that the weapon sprites appear to be slightly larger in size than they were originally compared to the earlier build and N64 version.

30 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

That makes more sense when you put it that way. Thank you for the insight Edward. There was something else that that some Steam users noticed in this comparison linked here that the weapon sprites appear to be slightly larger in size than they were originally compared to the earlier build and N64 version.

Your link doesn't show anything related to any N64 version, so you might want to actually check that first (on actual hardware, N64 emulators still have very inaccurate renderers). We have had a cumulation of changes over the year so I couldn't tell you everything that changed or why. I feel like @Quasar knows something about it, though? (Which would make sense as he's the one with the hardware.)

Edited by Edward850

I got a more direct comparison from a backup of the older build I got versus the new one using the Super Shotgun as an example.

New:

DOOM64_x64-2022_02_24_23-59-47.png.821186854c9ecb644dd7e15a583accca.png

Old:

DOOM64_x64-2022_02_25_00-00-57.png.d034163981a7a9358346a52a66ae1fb5.png

2 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

I got a more direct comparison from a backup of the older build I got versus the new one using the Super Shotgun as an example.

Hide contents

New:

DOOM64_x64-2022_02_24_23-59-47.png.821186854c9ecb644dd7e15a583accca.png

Old:

DOOM64_x64-2022_02_25_00-00-57.png.d034163981a7a9358346a52a66ae1fb5.png

Is this really larger than N64? I believe the new behavior is more accurate. There were some errors discovered with the way they were drawn previously.

I'm pretty glad to see this patch has finally made it out. Even though it's been nearly 2 years, I still appreciate that Bethesda and company saw enough value in Doom 64 to update it. Perhaps Doom Eternal's Sixty-Forsaken event reignited interest in the topic?

12 hours ago, Quasar said:

Is this really larger than N64? I believe the new behavior is more accurate. There were some errors discovered with the way they were drawn previously.

My apologies, I'm just speaking as someone who sadly doesn't have any actual experience with the original N64 version of Doom 64 other than Doom 64 EX by Kaiser many years back.

10 hours ago, Agent Slacker said:

And now we wait for the consoles to get patched...

This is what I came here for lol. Anyone knows an ETA for the patch on consoles?

On 2/25/2022 at 2:12 AM, Quasar said:

Considering the IWAD hasn't changed, is this related to the Chaingun fix?

23 hours ago, hfc2x said:

This is what I came here for lol. Anyone knows an ETA for the patch on consoles?

Presumably when some vaguely pressing issue comes up with those versions. I think this PC patch was primarily intended by Bethesda to fix one or two platform-specific issues and all these other little fixes were just taking the opportunity while the door was open.

TKKtyCl.jpg

I think something's wrong with the plasma rifle's HUD sprite. The animated overlay is larger than it should be.

17 hours ago, SteelPH said:

I think something's wrong with the plasma rifle's HUD sprite. The animated overlay is larger than it should be.

I have this bug on my end too. I think it affects some of the muzzle flashes for guns like the chaingun. I have attached a WAD which fixes the plasma gun, but not the muzzle flashes.

PlasmaSpriteFix.zip

I don't remember such bug on the Nintendo Switch. But my playthrough was two years ago, maybe I just don't remember?

8 minutes ago, Kyle07 said:

I don't remember such bug on the Nintendo Switch. But my playthrough was two years ago, maybe I just don't remember?

Seems to have been introduced in the latest patch, which as of right now seems to have only been released for the Steam version.

It looks to me like the weapon sprite aspect ratio has been changed (fixed?) to make them wider, that's all. As as side-note I always loved how chunky doom looked in the 8:5 (320x200, 640x400) ratio.