Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ducon

Dad play(ed) Doom

To give some background in regards to my previous post, every DOOM WAD and every video game I have ever experienced has been with my grandmother. I'm 26 years old and I take care of my grandparents. I either play while she watches or she plays while I watch.

My grandfather was never into anything other than Twisted Metal and Guitar Hero/Rock Band. My grandmother, however, introduced me to video games on the PSX when I was a child. She played through Medievil while I watched, and she showed me how to use a controller.

Ever since, we spend our time together either watching movies or playing games together. She's 69 years old, but she really knows her shit. Her favorite games besides DOOM are Max Payne and Bloodborne. She might not be able to play them well, especially Bloodborne, but she understands all of it.

She knows about many of the mappers and modders here, reads the forum pretty often, and helps me find WADS to play.

To make a long story short, I think the only reason most older people aren't into video games is because they usually don't have someome younger to give them an incentive to learn things. Video games, especially DOOM, have had just as big of an impact on her life as they have had on mine.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

I got into video games as a toddler. I still have memories of when I booted the Amiga 500 on my own for the very first time (with multiple errors like putting the disc the wrong way and getting that red guru meditation error). But I got scared watching my Dad and Uncle play Wolfenstein when I saw the character's face all bloodied from taking damage.

A little later, I was intrigued when I saw my Dad and Brothers play Doom. They helped me get into it by giving me IDDQD and IDKFA cheats. From then, I loved playing the game for the monsters and strange levels. I got into it even more when they got a Simpsons Doom mod from a swap meet.

Levels like house of pain E3M4 sparked something in me, like there is a vast Doom universe and origins behind the Demons. When I played Doom 2, Map 28 the spirit world made me think "how cool would it be if we could make our own maps!?", too bad I wasn't unaware it was possible until 2015.

My family moved on to many other games, following the trends. But Doom has been with me the entire time.

5 hours ago, SMG_Man said:

I'm sure your sis will be fine

Yeah, I think she will be fine by playing it using the Bolognese Gore Mod

My dad played through it but I had to sit and tell him every way to go he never done a single level on his own haha 

I tried to get my son to play it and he did get quite far through but then lost interest and went back to his modern games