Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
J.Argon

Question about "Post Hell"

PostHell.png.b92733cad4c6cd5cfe94fa2c361a5ab8.png

What ever happened to Post Hell? Back in the good ol days I use to enjoy going in there from time to time to read people's stupid crap and may have had a few post craps of my own in there... can't remember. I have been away since around 2016- 2017ish so I am out of the loop as to why its gone. And yes I had to make a new profile since I am locked out of my Yahoo account I registered with.(a lil F.Y.I) I just wanted to know what happened to it and why it was removed.

Pic below is me when I use to view the threads there.

Spoiler

face.png.b5197b15a019bdc65d971e5d7f038979.png

The Post Slayer happened. He ripped and teared until it was gone.

Honestly, the admins no longer thought it was a good idea to have this kind of content in the open, so now it's only visible to people in the moderation staff.

I believe the argument for publicly removing it was that it unintentionally encouraged people to post inflammatory nonsense. For the longest time I missed it, but today I feel that it's entirely unnecessary. It's not like the internet is lacking for shit posting and garbage fires. 

I suspect the real reason is that they failed coming up with a special different skin for PH when the forum updated, so they just hid it from view. We already have just one banner now for example (the Doom 2 box art cyberdemon), when we had a lot previously.

IIRC Post Hell was hidden to discourage elements of bad posting and/or beating on people for such that Ling found distasteful in the modern age.

17 minutes ago, printz said:

We already have just one banner now for example (the Doom 2 box art cyberdemon), when we had a lot previously.

ok so I wasn't just mis-remembering this lol

50 minutes ago, printz said:

We already have just one banner now for example (the Doom 2 box art cyberdemon)

I'm pretty sure i've seen some other random ones showing up in its place from time to time?

2 minutes ago, MattFright said:

I'm pretty sure i've seen some other random ones showing up in its place from time to time?

It doesn't happen randomly. I think there are some different ones if you go to older sections of the site, like the list of source ports or whatever.

I never had to visit Post Hell, but sometimes i see stupid topics here in Doomworld. They can take Post Hell from Doomworld, but can't take Doomworld from Post Hell. :D

It still exists, just as random shitpost threads that pop up occasionally on the Website, But i believe it also was removed because of people abusing the PH and doing it intentionally just to be seen within PH, the stupid part was that the thinking most likely was: "any publicity is good publicity"

Post Hell was also made during Doomworld's HTML4 & HTTP days, and during the transition from AtomicGamer to it's own database, they transitioned from the aging, outdated and insecure HTML4 & HTTP technology to the more stable & open standard HTML5 & HTTPS, and it wasn't really worth it to have Post Hell to be viewed by normal forum users.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:39 PM, [McD]James said:

I believe the argument for publicly removing it was that it unintentionally encouraged people to post inflammatory nonsense. For the longest time I missed it, but today I feel that it's entirely unnecessary. It's not like the internet is lacking for shit posting and garbage fires. 

If doomkid reacted, it must be!

I recall seeing a screenshot or picture of what Post hell used to be, and my eyes were drawn to a thread called "Jihadist corpses marinating in a pool of piss". Take from that what you will.

1 hour ago, Koko Ricky said:

I occasionally get PH notifications, but clicking on them doesn't work. What's that about?

because It's not public and only accessible if you are an admin or a super moderator (i think?)