Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vulkar 04

Is DOOM 3 Cannon in the Doom Universe?? D:

I have been wondering about the timeline of the game and I didn´t find an answer in all the videos I saw!! 

What do you think bruh? Also, Does this marine have a name? XD

DOOM 3.jpg

2 minutes ago, Redoom said:

Doom 3 runs in a separate universe, and the marines name is Marine

Oh, ok ;( 

I used to believe they´re in the same universe somehow

There was a theory that was like

Doom 3 > Doom 1 > Doom 2 > Doom 3 RoE > Doom 2016 > Doom Eternal.

Mostly, Doom 3 shows how hell invaded mars, and Doom 1 is the aftermatch, and the DoomGuy is one of the soldiers that rescued DoomMarine(3) and stays on the base until all they soldiers friends die in the invasion of Mars.

1 hour ago, D4NUK1 said:

There was a theory that was like

Doom 3 > Doom 1 > Doom 2 > Doom 3 RoE > Doom 2016 > Doom Eternal.

Mostly, Doom 3 shows how hell invaded mars, and Doom 1 is the aftermatch, and the DoomGuy is one of the soldiers that rescued DoomMarine(3) and stays on the base until all they soldiers friends die in the invasion of Mars.

This is incorrect. Mars is never mentioned as being invaded in the original story, such as it is. The initial teleports were between Phobos and Deimos directly. Deimos disappears, and Doomguy and his troop are sent to Phobos.

Doom 3 and it's DLC are effectively reboots in their own universe. Doom 1 and 2 are sort of stylistically similar to 2016 and Eternal, but Doom 3 is a very different animal. Any attempts to it to the main storyline are reaching as it requires too much mental gymnastics and retconning. The Soul Cube in Doom 2016 is purely an easter egg. The best you could say that given Doom 1, Doom 2 and Final Doom happen in one reality while 2016 and Eternal happen in another is that Hell invaded another reality and Doom 3 took place there.

From what I konw is that Doom 3 is Doom I with Doom II never happening, now I won't speak about the new Doom games (Doom 2016, Eternal) cause obviously I have no idea what ID had in their minds back then. Long story short it is its own thing.

Yeah i never dug too deep into the subject but as far as i know the original games (including Doom 64), Doom 3, and 2016/Eternal each have their own 'canon' universes. Though an argument could be made that the Doomslayer's was originally the Doom marine. You're free to interpret things the way you prefer though, i personally think of them as separate things.

6 minutes ago, Mayomancer said:

Though an argument could be made that the Doomslayer's was originally the Doom marine.

There's no argument about it. The Slayer is the original Doom marine if you follow the official canon.

So Doom 4 & Eternal take place in a different dimension/reality than Doom 1, 2 and 64? I always thought the Slayer was entombed some time after D64 and then later on he’s released, which leads to the events of Doom 4 and Eternal..? I guess I didn’t follow the story closely enough or something (I’ve also barely played Eternal so maybe that’s revealed later on or something)

Regardless, on the visual front, Doom 4 takes a lot of cues from Doom 3. The Hell Knight is a direct match between the two games. It was clearly trying to acknowledge Doom 3’s aesthetics while ignoring its shaky place in the storyline.

I always figured the events of Doom 3 were following some random tough marine on Mars, happening parallel to what “actual Doomguy” is dealing with on Phobos and Deimos. As demons invade the moons, they’re also invading mars.

I don’t think Doom 1 and 2 ever elucidate what’s happening on Mars during the invasion, and I’m not sure if Doom 3 ever mentions what’s going down on Phobos and Deimos. That leaves exactly one opening for Doom 3 in the canon - either it’s happening parallel to Doom 1 and 2, or it never happened at all (or maybe it happened in a “parallel dimension” but that is the most cheesy and overdone/lame explanation for literally everything that doesn’t make sense in a Sci-Fi story...)

All the kickass WADs of the Doom community have to be canon too, Doomguy fighting demons in the multiverse until countless eons later ending up being found by the Night Sentinels.

6 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

So Doom 4 & Eternal take place in a different dimension/reality than Doom 1, 2 and 64? I always thought the Slayer was entombed some time after D64 and then later on he’s released, which leads to the events of Doom 4 and Eternal..?

Same Doomguy but a different dimension. Hell magic messes with the multiverse. 

Also, Doom Zero is an official addon now so i guess that's where he gets entombed, which means Doom Zero happens sometime after 64 😆

imo they're separate universes / timelines / dimensions / wtv

The Classic Doom universe being:

Doom 1, 2, Final, 64

Then rebooted with:

Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil, The Lost Mission

Then rebooted yet again with:

2016, Eternal, TAG 1 & 2

In my head canon, Doom 3 takes place between Doom 64 and 2016. The slayer had been sealed away at the time of Doom 3. Therefore, the demons believed they had the freedom to completely destroy humanity without competent opposition. Demons, being the prideful things they are, decided to hold their power back for the sake of the UAC Mars take over because the Slayer was asleep. The "Marine" in Doom 3, is not the slayer, but a human like us, bearing the extension of his spirit. The demons underestimated this man and humanity's power as a whole and lost. Good will always defeat evil no matter how powerful, and that is why Doom 3 rules.

Yes, Doom 3 is canon in the Doom universe. 

No, Doom 3 is non canon in the Doom Universe.

Yes or no is a Doom game anyway. 

The main timeline in the DOOM Universe are these games:

Doom 1993 > Thy Flesh Consumed > Doom 2 > Doom 64 > Doom 2016 > Doom Eternal

TFC takes place between the events of Doom 1 and 2 as I read. Doom 64 is the prequel of Doom 2016 and sequel of Doom 2. TNT and Plutonia are fanmade WADs, ok? I know they take place after Doom 2, but I don't think Final Doom counts in. I like to see Sigil as its own series made by Romero himself, so I don't count Sigil in as well

Doom 3 is in its own Universe so Idk if it's canon or not

Edited by Teo Slayer

I feel like it was always meant to be a different timeline like the RPG games but some things in 2016/Eternal lore make me think they're not that connected to classic "lore".

Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 are connected. Sigil and the new sequel could be some kind of Gaiden.

Doom 64 was originally intended to be reboot or just a different interpretation from the originals. including the cancelled ''Absolution'' sequel.

Doom 3 and Doom '16 same thing as D64, just separated universes and not connected with the originals at all. 

I just prefer ignore Eternal's lore, it's pure bethesda's fanfiction bullshit.

I still feel like they missed a trick in not designating Doom 3 and RoE as prequels in the new timeline.

Think about it - Swann and Campbell are sent up to Mars to check on a rogue scientist conducting experiments not sanctioned by the company. Shit hits fan leaving only one survivor, the Marine, who is rescued and taken away for... debriefing. The UAC uses its vast resources to bury the story until the heat dies down. The facility lays derelict for two years. Then McNeil and her team are sent up to Mars on recon in the hopes of starting up the project again. Shit hits fan again and it is heavily implied that this time there are NO survivors. The UAC tries to bury it once again, but this time the military gets wind of what happened and puts the squeeze on the company to keep the Mars facility open so that THEY can exploit it. After all, the military IS the UAC's biggest supplier.

Thus begins the events of OG Doom. I could spend some more time fleshing out the details, but you get the idea.

There are three universes that we know of, all linked by hell.

Universe 1:

Ultimate Doom + Doom 2 and expansions + Final Doom + Doom 64 and Lost Levels, Doomguy stays in hell to become the Doom Slayer, emerges from Hell in Universe 2

Universe 2:

Doom + Doom VFR + Doom Eternal + Ancient Gods

Universe 3 is another universe we haven't seen visited in any of the other games, but there is some lore that indicates it could be connected:

Doom 3 + Resurrection of Evil + The Lost Mission

In my canon, Doom 3 is the starting point, yes. Where it all began. Then Doom 3 and Doom 1 run concurrently some time after the invasion starts.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:06 AM, Vaeros said:

Doom 64 was originally intended to be reboot or just a different interpretation from the originals. including the cancelled ''Absolution'' sequel.

Incorrect. This has never been stated by any developer nor referenced in any publication, whether showing alpha/beta or final content. Doom 64 is a sequel to Doom II/Final Doom as plainly stated in its backstory. "As the only experienced survivor of the DOOM episodes, your commission has been reactivated."

On 9/16/2021 at 11:30 AM, famicommander said:

There are three universes that we know of, all linked by hell.

Universe 1:

Ultimate Doom + Doom 2 and expansions + Final Doom + Doom 64 and Lost Levels, Doomguy stays in hell to become the Doom Slayer, emerges from Hell in Universe 2

Universe 2:

Doom + Doom VFR + Doom Eternal + Ancient Gods

Universe 3 is another universe we haven't seen visited in any of the other games, but there is some lore that indicates it could be connected:

Doom 3 + Resurrection of Evil + The Lost Mission

There's at least one additional universe - the Doom RPG series. It's notably the only one so far to have a certain, canonical link to the Wolfenstein series - the Cyberdemon enhanced by Kronos and fought in Doom RPG is the same one that BJ Blazkowicz cut an arm and leg off of using the Spear of Destiny in Wolf RPG.

So where did this cyberdemon hide after WW2 for a few hundred years?  I personally discount Doom RPG entirely.

Just now, Gibbon said:

So where did this cyberdemon hide after WW2 for a few hundred years?  I personally discount Doom RPG entirely.

It is sent back to Hell in the conclusion of the battle in Wolf RPG. A portal opens right beneath it and sucks it in. Good for you I guess.

7 hours ago, Quasar said:

Incorrect. This has never been stated by any developer nor referenced in any publication, whether showing alpha/beta or final content. Doom 64 is a sequel to Doom II/Final Doom as plainly stated in its backstory. "As the only experienced survivor of the DOOM episodes, your commission has been reactivated."

You're quoting that from the manual but It could be just refering to the player (You) having experience with the original games maybe? Still makes no sense since it used to be an N64 exclusive port and artistically different from the originals, I don't think old ID Software or Midway even cared about the game having an actual backstory anyway.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:06 AM, Vaeros said:

I just prefer ignore Eternal's lore, it's pure bethesda's fanfiction bullshit. 

the lore in Eternal ties things together p simply tho, it just boils down to "there are multiple universes/timelines that the Doomguy has fought the demons in" and "right now, 2016 and Eternal are the current day for Doomguy". that's it. Trying to reconcile everything chronologically isn't that possible with Final Doom and Doom 3 existing, cus you end up with something like this:

image.png