Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

IronEagle Competition 35: Data Center

Welcome to a new month of the IronEagle competition, the ironman challenge that accepts everyone who likes to play Doom. Whether you're good, bad, young, old, or anywhere in between, you are welcome here. 

This month, participants will challenge themselves against Data Center, the 6-map set created by Ilya Seletsky and released in 2008. This limit-removing mapset tells the story of an intrepid Marine, sent by the UAC to stop the demons that have invaded the UAC's data center, and prevent them from stealing all the data to aid their attempted invasion of Earth. Participants must play this mapset on complevel 2 or Doom(strict).

Data Center starts at Map 01. Survival is completion of Map 06. There is no secret map.

Download Data Center here.

Congratulations to this month's winners (urther details are in the post below).

UV: @MAN_WITH_GUN (Runner-up: @galileo31dos01)

HMP: @Lol 6 (Runner-up: @Austinado)

HNTR: @Major Arlene (Runner-up: Pegleg)

Spoiler

• Template for PRBoom+:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file datacntr.wad -deh datacntr.deh -complevel 2 -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEdatacenter>

• Template for ZDoom
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file datacntr.wad -deh datacntr.deh +compatmode 2 -skill <x> +map map01 -record <IEdatacenter>
    • it is possible you may have to use +set skill <x> for GZDoom

• <x> must be replaced by the skill level. 2 = HNTR, 3 = HMP, 4 = UV
  • <IEwot> would be replaced with whatever you decide to call your demo, if you're submitting a demo

EDIT: There is a game-breaking bug in Map 03 and a softlock in Map 03. I will spoiler them in case you don't want to read about them, but I strongly encourage you to do so, at least regarding the bug.

Game-breaking bug in Map 03 in non-ZDoom ports:

Spoiler

In the northern part of the map, there is a room with a blue floor, a row of health potions, two barrels, and chaingunners. There is a door in 1 wall. The door has a SR Open Door function and a tag of zero. If you try to open the door, you will trigger all untagged sectors to try to open and then close, rendering the map unplayable. Just don't open the door. If you're playing in a ZDoom port, this warning does not apply, because the door functions as intended.

For those concerned that this would give an unfair advantage to ZDoom players, it is likely that the advantage would be minimal.

Spoiler

The room contains a SSG (which players should already have) and a blue armor, along with some enemies.

Softlock in Map 03 (all ports):

Spoiler

In the room with the barons there is a large pit. If you drop into at the right spot, you will find a ledge that leads to a door. The intent is that you go through this door and find a secret. Unfortunately, the teleport line (which is how you escape from the pit on your way out) is close to the door, so the door is unable to open. If you tried to get to this secret, there would be no way back out.

Rules:

The rules are basically the same as they have been. Either demos or streams are permissible. If you are creating a demo, post the demo. If you are streaming, post a video of the stream. Even if streaming, you can still submit a demo, if you want to.

The basic rule is that you submit a demo/stream played at a particular difficulty level (HNTR, HMP, or UV) and you play without saving and reloading, ending your run when you die (or survive).

The following are allowed (but not required):

• Freelook
  • Crosshair
  • Mods that are COSMETIC ONLY

The following are NOT allowed:

• Crouching
  • Jumping
  • Mods that change ANY aspect of base gameplay, including (but not limited to) enemy behavior, enemy speed, player abilities, player speed, weapon damage, ammo, and enemy drops.

Further, more specific, rules are listed below:

Spoiler

• Submissions (except for streams, as described below) must include a demo from one of the listed acceptable ports. The first actual attempt must be submitted, there are no do-overs (with very few possible exceptions, which I will address as they arise).
    • You may practice a mapset if you want, but these practice runs should not be submitted as your official entry, and your run would be Category 2, unless there are exceptional circumstances (such as described below).
  • A run must be done in a singular sitting with no saves. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)
  • Streams and video runs are accepted provided you post a video of the stream/run or a link to the video.
    • If you post a video of the stream, you may post a demo if you want, but it is not mandatory. You may also post a demo if you, for some reason, do not want to post the video or a link.
  • Secret levels, if present, do not have to be completed for a survival run. If they are completed, they are extra credit.

Any port is accepted provided it will actually run the mapset. There is no preference.

Spoiler

Of course, if you want to try a limit-removing/Boom map in Chocolate Doom, be my guest. However, be aware that your run may be over rather quickly. Don't say you weren't warned.

Category System:

Category 1: Blind run.

This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before.I'm willing to be somewhat lenient with this Category.

For example, if you die early in Map 01, and then decide to play again for your run, you can still call it Category 1.

Category 2: Non-blind.

If you have played the wad before and/or possess significant foreknowledge, your run is non-blind. Basically, anything that is not Category 1 is Category 2.

If you're unhappy with your blind run, feel free to record a new run, and submit that run instead. If you want to submit your first run, no matter how you perform, by all means, go ahead and do it. You just shouldn't feel that you HAVE to submit a run you're dissatisfied with, just to preserve a "Category 1" status. If you want to go back and submit a second run, you're welcome to do so, but, at this time, it won't be counted.

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo/stream for only one of HNTR, HMP, or UV. Choose only one, because subsequent submissions will be rejected (i.e., if you submit a HMP demo, the HNTR demo you then submit will be rejected). We're not using the 1CC rule set here. And your first submission is what counts.

Only runs from the same difficulty will be pitted against each other. Each difficulty will be graded separately.

Submission:

• When you submit your run, please the include the following information:
  • The category (1 or 2)
  • The difficulty
  • If you survived or what map you died on
  • The time elapsed when you survived/died (even if it's only approximate)
  • How many kills you had on the map where you died
  • The port you used (if you included a demo)
  • A link to the stream/video (if you did a stream)

You may include a commentary about the maps or details about them, if you want to. If you do include specific information about the map (e.g. "The demon trap in Map 08 is rough"), please put it in a spoiler, so that people that want a completely blind experience won't be tipped off. In you're just putting in a general comment (e.g., "Pro tip: don't get hit"), then no need for a spoiler.

Attempting to max the maps is not necessary to win.

Ranking for this mapset will be determined by:

• Survival
  • Total time for survival
  • Map of death (in descending order: Map 06, Map 05, Map 04, Map 03, Map 02, Map 01)
  • Total time at death
  • Kill count at death

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting.

Breaks:

Everyone gets tired. Sometimes people survive longer than they expected. Nature calls. Every now and then, there are family emergencies. Needing to take a break shouldn't necessarily end a promising run. While you should try to complete the run in a single setting, this isn't always possible. If you have to take a break, try to make it quick.

Happy Dooming!

Previous IronEagle Competitions

Spoiler

• 1 (Oct.): Scientist 2 (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 2 (Nov.): Vanguard (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 3 (Dec.): Crumpets (Winners -- UV: NoisyVelvet   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 4 (Feb.): Dark Covenant (Winners -- UV: kmc   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 5 (Mar.): Brood of Hatred (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 6 (Apr.): Riot Control (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Walter Confetti   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 7 (May): Scimitar (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 8 (Jun.): Bauhaus (Winners -- UV: vdgg   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 9 (Jul.): Bloody Steel (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 10 (Aug.): The Brotherhood of Ruin (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 11 (Sept.): Flashback to Hell (Winners -- UV: kmc/Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 12 (Oct.): A Taste for Blood (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 13 (Nov.): Back to Basics (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Horus   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 14 (Dec.): Whitemare (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz & NaZa   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)

Edited by Pegleg : EDIT 1: Added complevel. EDIT 2: Add warnings about bug and softlock on Map 03. EDIT 3: Added monthly winners and winners of IronEagle 34.

Softlocked in MAP03 because the SSG room seems to completely break when you enter it in DSDA-Doom. I tried cl9 after this too and the door wouldn't even open to get in, so idk, maybe this one should have a "use pr+/dsda-doom at your own risk" warning. Shame because it was a pretty nice mapset so far...

Cat 1

Skill UV

Softlocked MAP03

12:40

91/166 kills

DSDA-Doom v0.21.0cl2

data_ie35_maribo.zip

-skipsec 750 if anyone just wants to check what the softlock is, so you don't walk into it.

12 hours ago, Maribo said:

Softlocked in MAP03 because the SSG room seems to completely break when you enter it in DSDA-Doom. I tried cl9 after this too and the door wouldn't even open to get in, so idk, maybe this one should have a "use pr+/dsda-doom at your own risk" warning. Shame because it was a pretty nice mapset so far...

I've checked Map 03 in the editor. That door (on both sides) is SR Open Door with a tag of zero. It functions as intended on the ZDoom family (obviously). However, in other ports, it has the expected effect of trying to open and close all sectors have a tag of zero, thus rendering the map unplayable. I suppose I just got lucky in not triggering it when I tested the mapset, because I'm pretty sure that I tried to open the door.

I've checked the other maps, and I haven't found any other instances of untagged switches/platforms/etc.

I'll add this as a note in the OP. I'm sorry that you had the misfortune of triggering this bug.

Here's my submition, once again in Google Drive cuz I want to save space here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y3be_DlX0U26NeKgDsVwvgUyLrU_RoIB/view?usp=sharing 

Details (I wrote some stuff that I didn't include in the txt file of the zip)

Spoiler

IronEagle 35 submition by :[Lol 6]:

Player: :[Lol 6]:

Iwad used: DOOM2.WAD

Port used: dsda-doom v.0.21.3

Complevel 2

Category: 2 (It's my second attempt, Map 4 onwards is blind)

Died in: Map 05

Skill 3 (Hurt me plenty)

Monsters killed when the player died: 19/96

Edited by Lol 6 : Some fixes to the details, everything else is intact

That is absolutely true @NoisyVelvet. That is absolutely true.

You may recall from IronEagle 1 (Scientist 2) that Aquila tongue-in-cheek declared the winner to be the barrel because there was 1 barrel that killed about 5 different participants (myself included).

The first one of these I've done where i had a run better than "died in first map".

Category 1 UV

Died MAP03 (try and guess how!) with 97 kills

18:47 before i was, uh, killed?

prboom+ 2.5.1.5.r4526

DrJIEdatacentr.zip

We learned that the barrel is the one which shouldn't be underestimated and be trusted. That's why I destroy them as soon as I see them...

Btw, I'll try the set at saturday with a blind gameplay.

Category 2(*)

Ultra Violence

Softlocked in m06 so I ended my misery right there...

ZDoom 2.8.1. default comp

datacntr_zdIEbygal.zip

Spoiler

I didn't know what else was left to do in the final IoS bit, so between jumping and whatnot I fell inside a something with impassable lines, because yeah it seems like the mapper forgot that players can run and explore areas in doom...

I did read the warnings about softlocks in cl-2, but there were more -- my first recording ended with me stuck in m02 ending lift, and I have zero doubts that if it wasn't that, it was going to be something else... and what do you know, even in zdoom nobody's safe from shit like my situation, unfortunately. This is actually not rare in 00's wads that are advertised as vanilla or LR (or boom in worse cases) but in the "tested with" string there's only zdoom or derivatives mentioned, and that's crucial info for this type of challenge, so I think the OP should encourage just zdoom ports and nothing else than those, for "fairness" mostly. 

Aside from the inconvenience, the wad started low and kinda meh (visually nice) but picked up in the last trap in m03 and onwards, although it quickly became apparent that playing continuous was going to have a huge impact on each map, just by seeing what 02 had in store... In the end it sucked to get stuck but I suspect that was everything the map had to offer at that point, so I'm cool anyways.

https://youtu.be/c4VjL3iz0DA

Category 1 run on UV, starts at about 1:09:00.

Died on map 3 (call it a DNF, although I technically killed myself with a rocket due to.....well, see for yourself!), 71/166 monsters killed.

I have taken part in every Ironeagle/Ironman League thus far, and this was by far the weirdest end to a run ever.

First time participating in the IronEagle. I hope to participate more in the future!

Category 1, UV

Died on map03 with 156/166 kills

FDA recorded on PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 on complevel-2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZUkCWBJztHeoQPKTdap1gA4WBpadpMpX/view?usp=sharing

Spoiler

Maps were pretty good and fun, and had a charming 2000s vibe, though I was definitely not a fan of the pitch dark room at the end of map03. 

On 9/20/2021 at 5:52 PM, Suitepee said:

Died on map 3 (call it a DNF, although I technically killed myself with a rocket due to.....well, see for yourself!), 71/166 monsters killed.

I have taken part in every Ironeagle/Ironman League thus far, and this was by far the weirdest end to a run ever.

I'm glad to hear you weren't upset about it. That problem that you ran into was a case of a door sector with a zero tag causing the rest of the map to try to close.

See you next month!

I died on map 3, not sure how many enemies I killed. Category 1, UV.
I should note that I am currently having trouble getting Demos to work, so I just used a screenrecording.
I played on GZDoom.

Since DoomWorld won't let me upload filed larger than 25MB, here is a link to the mp4: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10dM5olThNyDpkD1O-hhs4mTv0xgiW3Q_/view?usp=sharing

I apologize for some slight lag in the recording.

Also, I am/was not sure if I am supposed to pistol start each level or not, or if this is single-segment.

------

I died to the baron of hell, in an embarrassing way. For some reason I felt fighting in a narrow doorway was good, I could've just entered the room or even came back to him later. I'd redo it if I could, but hey, that's the point of this challenge. In terms of what I thought about data center, I liked it, the first two maps were easy, I was surprised there weren't any ambushes/traps when retrieving the keys.

Still kinda upset about dying to the baron like that, lol.

Thank you Pegleg for sharing this IronEagle with me!

On 9/22/2021 at 10:18 AM, kubajonas said:

Thank you Pegleg for sharing this IronEagle with me!

You are quite welcome kubajonas. I hope to see you back next month.

Also, I am/was not sure if I am supposed to pistol start each level or not, or if this is single-segment.

The IronEagle competition, like the Ironman League, is continuous. No pistol starting.

I died to the baron of hell, in an embarrassing way. For some reason I felt fighting in a narrow doorway was good, I could've just entered the room or even came back to him later. I'd redo it if I could, but hey, that's the point of this challenge. In terms of what I thought about data center, I liked it, the first two maps were easy, I was surprised there weren't any ambushes/traps when retrieving the keys.

Still kinda upset about dying to the baron like that, lol.

There's no rule to say that you have to submit your first playthrough. If you want to submit a blind playthrough, you are by all means welcome to do so. But if you're unhappy with the run and want to do another playthrough and submit that one, go ahead. As long as you only submit one run, whether it is Category 1 or Category 2, that will be counted.

IEdatacenter_hc.zip

Category 1, UV, PrBoom+

Dead in MAP06 with 48/49 kills.

Spoiler

I made it all the way to the end and couldn't figure out how the Icon Of Sin puzzle worked.

That was way too compact & cramped, but I did enjoy the theatricality of it all. A bit awkward, but still a trip to hell worth taking. Thanks for putting this mapset in the spotlight; this was a fun IronEagle. (And thanks for the warning about the run-killing GZDoom Door in MAP03.)

FYI, I literally wrote this post in its entirety back in October, but I forgot to submit it. Here it is, for posterity, just like you would have read it three months ago.

Thank you to all the competitors who challenged themselves against Data Center this month! I hope to see everyone back in October, and be sure to bring some friends with you when you return.

Without further ado, here are the final standings for this month.

UV

1. MAN_WITH_GUN (Survived)
  2. galileo31dos (Map 06)
  3. head_cannon (Map 06)
  4. dt_ (Map 05)
  5. Snaxalotl (Map 05)
  6. Fiendish (Map 03)
  7. kubajonas (Map 03)
  8. DrJordo (Map 03)
  9. Suitepee (Map 03)
  10. NoisyVelvet (Map 03)
  11. Maribo (Map 03)
  12. Clippy (Map 03)

HMP

1. Lol 6 (Map 05)
  2. Austinado (Map 03)

HNTR

1. Major Arlene (Map 05)
  2. Pegleg (Map 03)
  3. dei_eldren (Map 02)

Oh cool, people played my old map.  I actually played it with ZDoom and never had those softlock issues.  For some reason I decided to google search this to see if anything pops up.  I'm gonna have fun seeing people play at least, and critique it's issues.  There's something really fun about seeing people play your own maps and react to it.

Well sorry about the softlock issues.  Nothing to worry about in Zdoom.  But yeah, everyone was super scared of those.  I'd fix it if I felt it was worth it.  Maybe I might just for the hell of it if idgames allows me to update things.  I actually honestly thought this map pack would work in vanilla doom because I made it using only vanilla features and assets.

Edited by illYay1337