Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zilch

Favorite level in TNT: Evilution?`

Post your favorite level in TNT: Evilution.  This megawad is better known as the lesser part of Final Doom, because most of its levels aren't the best.  However, there are still some enjoyable ones.

What are the rules, you may ask.  Dead simple.  You post the title of your favorite map, and a description as to why you enjoy it so much.

I'll start!

MAP04: Wormhole

This has got to be one of the smartest and coolest concepts ever implemented in any level.  Not only is there a near identical level to your east, which explores the many ideas of a parallel dimension, but it also gives you the option of finishing the level without ever needing to explore.

I really like the idea of giving the player the choice to finish.  You see the small percentage of hellspawn you killed, which encourages you to explore, and find everything!

MAP31 I also like, but prefer the aforementioned one due to its parallel concepts.

I have only played it through once, but I too like MAP04, Wormhole. It features the best music. I also find MAP01, System Control, a deceptively good (by 1995 standards) opener. The rest is kind of hard to remember. The secret levels are good, Pharaoh (bugfixed version) and Caribbean.

I’ve always enjoyed Map 18: Mill. It’s vast and has a lot of exploration. I also quite like the yellow key setup with the switch hunt and the final fight with the enemies floating down from the vent-type areas. 

MAP14: Steel Works

Well, this is actually the most memorable and distinctive level for me that standed out during my first play through TNT. One reason is the music - it's original and unique track only for this level, which it took my attention more than the others - peculiar choice for instruments and melody. And second reason the level design itself - walking on hot steel under crushers, and backtracking progress style (a door which requires different key for each side - need to find second key to be able to return back, which was a new thing for me back then).

Otherwise, there were more levels I liked, but also some I disliked. MAP22 Habitat was the weirdest level from whole megawad I had most mixed feelings about.

MAP07: Prison

A fun adventure through various areas, of which the titular prison is the most iconic. Is well suited to exploring, containing several hidden areas and a few secrets, plus it has a neat platforming sequence at the end. And the MIDI is great!

MAP 18 - Mill

This is such a fun map, going around the square-shaped ring whilst going down the 4 paths to grab weapons and ammo in prep for the big fight at the end. One of TNT's better maps.

Honorary Mention: MAP 23 - Lunar Mining Project

I swear this map is under-rated. Sure it's no Plutonia Map 29 but I'd say this map really hold up solidly and has some pretty well made level designs. Heck, I'd say it's better than a fair few D2 maps.

MAP12 Crater

The starting door is "so bad its good" in texture, the hallways are big but have appropriate combat, the outside area is another "so bad its good" in design but it lends a different kind of atmosphere, there's the weird orthogonal light halls, and of course the nukage fall area is a fantastic scenic backdrop almost rivaling the Chasm in beauty.

Map31: Pharaoh

The Egyptian architecture and texturing along with the intermission music creates a bone chilling atmosphere, kind of like "I've won, but at what cost"

It feels like you've went on a journey after finishing the level. The mid-air Cyberdemon finale is very creative and serves as an enjoyable final fight (with exception to the shotgun spam at the end) Definitely my favorite level despite the slightly questionable texturing on switches and the Cyberdemon platform.

Map02: Human BBQ

Love the layout, by far my favorite level in any commercial Doom wad

Edited by TenenteZashu

MAP16: Deepest Reaches.

TNT Evilution in general has a bangin soundtrack but by far Blood jungle is my favorite.

Also space canyons rock.

The reason my love of TNT crept up on me over the years is because my enjoyment of it is way more consistent than Doom 2 or Plutonia. Of those 96 levels, there may not be a single TNT in my top 10, but there also may not be more than a couple in my bottom 20.

So I've always found it hard to pick a favorite. I really like

Map 09 Stronghold

Map 11 Storage Facility

Map 15 Dead Zone

Map 18 Mill

Map 20 Central Processing

Map 27 Mt. Pain

But I don't want to be that guy, so my pick for favorite TNT map, at least today, is Map 18 Mill. I love how smart the design is, allowing you to tackle it different ways but also having an optimal path for efficiency. It has a certain mystique to it that just demands exploration and secret hunting. The gameplay itself has aged pretty well, with its somewhat atmospheric focus and just a few touches of gimmickry. I even like the visual design: the metal is the big unifier but it has distinct areas tastefully done. And the length is probably in my personal sweet spot.

Edited by HAK3180

I like the maps set at night, they all have an excellent atmosphere not present in the other Iwads.  Shout out to map 17 specifically.

I like MAP02, MAP04, MAP06, MAP12, MAP13, MAP15, MAP16, MAP18, MAP19, MAP20, MAP27, MAP28, MAP31

My top 3

3. MAP18

2. MAP31

1. MAP16

Very tough to choose.

10 minutes ago, Wavy said:

MAP19 and especially MAP20

I second to that, but for me, Map 19 cuz of this one room

image.png.c805aaacc9b2c1ea93ff9438c9107f27.png

And Map 20 cuz of the music and the canyon part

1. Map30: Last Call - "Into the Beast's Belly" soundtrack, torch puzzle and unusual place of Romero's Head.
2. Map31 & Map32 - brilliant secret levels!

Just as I am replaying the wad on my journey to come back on track. I wanted to first complete Final Doom and the Master Levels before going back to the pwads. 

Definitely I am the weirdest one here. It's Habitat. For some reason I simply can't bring myself to dislike that map at all. It could be said this map is so bad that it's good. Well... I believe it simply was included in the wad unfinished, like a few more levels feel. I just love it. I anyways go everyehere on a map and let's face it - which other map has doors that open this way? No one! Also, at some point when I studied civil engineering my speciality was sewer design, so I actually was feeling at home on this mao. Maybe also the fact most people hate this map also attracted me to it. This level has an identity. It's not a Doom 2 map on steroids. 

Oh yeah, same is the reason TEETH is my favorite of the Master Levels. Because it has an identity. All the other Master Levels are Doom 2 maps on steroids. 

narrative mode activated

Little P41R47 just come out from a hards day's night, and upon loggin into his account, he checked the different threads shown in the front page.
Nothing interesting, until a three letters grasped his attention.
''Oh, a TNT thread!
Please
simpsons-hook-it-to-my-veins.gif

And as a TNT enthusiast, he shared his experience, in tl;dr mode:

TNT: Evilution as a whole is magnifecent for me.
The hellish levels are way hellier than anything else seen on Doom at that moment.
I really like map29: River Styx. The whole puzzle at the end is really good
Map23: Lunar Mining Project is another one i really love. It is quite atmospheric and at the same time, quite abstract, especially on the strange garden area.

My favourite maps are the secuence of map07 and map08.
Doomguy reaching a prison complex and then assaulting it just to find it is way fucked up.
Another favourite is map14: Steel Works, the idea of being on the fuel processing area of the hellship is just marvelous.

One that i totally love to replay from time to time is map11. Storage Facility.
I love the concept of Doomguy sneaking into the ship hidden in the storage.

The perfect combo of maps are map20: central processing and map21: Administration Center
The first one is a total adventure into the unknown core of the hellship.
And the later, is just a peek into the surreal atmosphere we will find on the next maps.
Those are the best maps of the whole set for me.

3 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

One that i totally love to replay from time to time is map11.

I absolutely love map11 from... oh, it's TNT.  Never mind, I thought we were talking about the map11 from Plutonia.

In all honesty map11 from TNT is actually pretty solid.  Miles better than some of Petersen's Doom II city levels!

"Steel Works" is probably my favorite. Not exactly challenging, but brisk and fun. The layout is creative but never confusing, and "Cold Subtleness" and "Introducing Mrs. Tier F" are both awesome accompaniments. Some other fun / interesting maps: "Pharao", "Carribean", "Wormhole", "Crater" and "Heck".

Definitely map12, not really because of the gameplay (5/10 it's okay) but because the visuals and atmosphere stand out to me as a lot more distinct than the rest of TNT. I think it's partly to do with the combination of the night skybox, the really excellent sector lighting and some unique looking rooms which really reminds me of one of those dreams where you're wandering around an uncanny half-familiar kind of abandoned place. The only thing that sucks about it is that the midi choice is pretty awful, I think if you put the intermission midi on it instead then in terms of atmosphere it would almost be the perfect TNT-style map.

If only gameplay was a factor, then I think map32 wins for me.