Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nikku4211

Water Appreciation Thread

I've always liked how water, the fluid that powers life, is portrayed in Doom engine games, especially the deep water tricks.

So I've made this thread to appreciate the depictions of water (and some other liquids) in Doom WADs and WADs for other Doom engine games.

Herian 2 is a good example of water in a Doom WAD, some levels being set on small pieces of land surrounded by water, and some levels having rivers and plenty of waterfalls. It also uses the Boom deep water feature a lot.

Dumping some Death's Dichotomy shots in because I loved how Clay and Remmi used water, and I also really loved using it in this set :D

Spoiler

E5vduyEX0AEKZts?format=jpg&name=large

Omnia Mors Aquat by Clay

Spoiler

E5vdu1cXEAIf4-z?format=jpg&name=large

Cyanotic Dreams by Remmirath

Spoiler

EzJIYOGVgAwHq7W?format=jpg&name=large

Sempiternal by me

ohh yeah, for those unfamiliar with OTEX, these are OTEX liquids.

Big props to water. I adore any water-themed levels for some reason. I guess it’s just such a contrast to the usual blood, ooze, and mud.

I just figured out how to get screenshots from ZDoom 1.17c, so here are some pictures of Herian 2 running in the version it was made for.

DOOM0007.png.3ebf93b3a45e62633994460022378c97.pngDOOM0006.png.4b367661af5bdebb0a7fbf8a0fb80266.pngDOOM0005.png.065b914e91b8053d5340858c79817589.pngDOOM0004.png.a37649ce7d4475f0169fe920ac2ca83a.png

I love water. Water and mountains!

Screenshot-Doom-20210925-124431.png

48 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

Yes, water is nice.

Boiling water can f--- right off though.

or extremely cold ice water.

fuck that noise.

Gaze upon perfection. The fluid of life! How often do you get to see this huh? Take it in...

GettyImages-535639761-ba2bcf0.jpg?webp=t

Edited by Dubbag

doom1710.jpg

From pppp.wad. This map notably uses extensively the deep-water effect.

Water was always my favorite thing to find in Doom. In a world of blood and waste and death and decay where everything is so cold and hostile right down to the charred, gnarled trees, these rare little pools of pure blue water always stood out so much and felt like some dim grounding in safety and normalcy. Except in hell where they’re all trimmed in FIREBLU and usually hurt you worse than the lava does, but then they have a much more surreal effect and contribute to the nightmarish atmosphere in a whole different way. Probably the most fun flat to use creatively.

I really liked the way water was used in MAP13 of Back To Saturn X Episode 2. I had just fought through a massive stone chamber with a liquid floor, completing an arena fight as the floor lowered and the water drained. The bottom of the reservoir contained a helpful teleporter as an escape-hatch, so I exited. Arriving back to the castle courtyard, I was confused for a moment since that dungeon hadn't ended in a new key or anything, and there was no direction on what to do next. I wandered back outside and was surprised to discover that the whole valley had transformed.

1610150314_MAP13Comparison.png.d572f2680b2645f6f108c4e1d27a78da.png

On 9/25/2021 at 1:32 PM, Breezeep said:

N4cXbR0.gif

Thank you, mother nature.

For the longest time I thought the water flats were just animated to represent random movement but this gif makes it obvious it is always flowing from right to left. It’s usually hard to notice in game.

Edited by EANB

Doom Retro has fantastic water effects. I would like a similar water mod for GZDoom, smooth and retro aesthetic, but with brighmaps. Exists?

Edited by Ulukai

Heretic has some nice water. The better lighting makes it look nicer and more real in my opinion.

Spoiler

265564104_hereticwater.png.48d7391b691074c3de7d9835fc320ec4.png

(Big Image)

Me at 7 years old:

"Hell yeah, water is great! I love the pool at the beginning of E1M1!"

Me rediscovering the game a few years later:

"wait WTF is this blue carpet shit"