Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jazzmaster9

Rapidfire - 6 Level Vanilla Mapset - 1.0 Now on Idgames!

Map1: Bornig visuals, but alright gameplay. I hate the music.
Map2: Fun beginning, great visuals and good gameplay. Best music in the wad.
Map3: Visuals are consistently good from this point onward, but I preferred the looks of a previous map. The big pool in the center is memorable though
Map4: Best map. Looks nicely, has a fantastic beginning, gives you a lot of opportunities to shoot some mid tier demons. Spider mastermind cameo was fun too!
Map5: Same as Map4, but looks worse. I guess the textures were too similar to each other to leave a strong impression on me. The idea of going through the sewer at the beginning was great though, so it was one of the best maps as well. I love how fast and not loud the death exit was. I will steal it for my future maps. >:)
Map6: This map gave me a lot of anxiety. It is the only one where I died. Cyberdemons were relentless and I couldn't catch a single break. When I finally got the BFG, I decided to just run for the exit, as I thought 'like hell I am gonna use that now'. Great ending, but I will hate you forever for that NME music, that only multiplied the anxiety.

In conclusion, this wad gets better and better as you play it. Give it a go, guys!

Looks cool! Short sets are where it's at. Also, a map per day is an impressive output. I'll try to check these soon!

Great stuff here!  Simple, clean & polished maps, not too difficult.  Excellent use of OTEX.  I enjoyed these greatly & hope to see more from you in the future Jazzmaster.

Played it in PrBoom Plus 2.6.1um with complevel 2 on 'Hurt Me Plenty' difficulty.

13 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

In map 05, there're two imps doing the dirty. This is on UV.

Thank you for catching this, will definitely fix this in the next version.

Played through all the levels on HMP using GZDooM. Good-looking, straightforward and fun maps. Perfect size for a quick ceremony of demon slaughtering. It took one can of beer (slowly sipping while my double-barreled was reloading) to finish the maps.

Neat set, I like it. It's very quick and to the point. Texture use can be a bit minimalistic and encounter design can be very block-y (in terms of like, there are lots of block-y setpieces) at times, but it has a bit of charm to it. The start of Map04 is quite a jump from the ones before it.

continuous fda with a silly death and some shameless map sector secret coloring secret-finding // rf-fda.zip

just finished playing, overall had a good time!  here are a few thoughts: 

map 3, a fun warm start brought down by ssg being too late.  forcing the player to use normal shotgun against midtiers is mostly  not-fun.  i am not sure how to fix this.  once getting ssg, you'll never be forced to use anything else.  i was able to get to it and never once use another weapon.  i don't enjoy ssg-only gameplay but others might, not sure how you want to work around that. 

map 4, best map in the wad by far and the first to kill me.  i was forced to use more than ssg and this includes fights after the opening.  maybe for previous maps i'd say use less shotgunners while allowing the player to use more than hitscan-only against midtiers.  there's little challenge in that outside of testing player patience. 

map 6, once i figured it out it was an instant skip.  i cannot recommend any changes to this map outside of removing it from the set.

second release candidate out.

- Corrected the placement and difficulty of the Imp stuck in Map 05

- Minor Retexturing

A fantastic set! Great work hope to see more! IDK why the game audio was cut out sorry about that.

DBDUuO6.jpg

Decent wad. And runs in real source ports so I'm including in the Treasure Trove collection. How do you like it?

I've played it a bit already but once I have more remarks I'll share them to help you polish the wad.

53 minutes ago, game said:

DBDUuO6.jpg

Decent wad. And runs in real source ports so I'm including in the Treasure Trove collection. How do you like it?

I've played it a bit already but once I have more remarks I'll share them to help you polish the wad.

This looks amazing, Nice work.
I hope you have fun with the mapset :)

Just beaten the first 3 levels and didn't see anything I'd improve so far. You took care of making it not look bland. This is a truly spectacular mapset, definitely one of the best uses of OTEX I've seen. Actually pretty atmospheric, too. One of my favourite parts was that storage room in Map03 where different kinds of monsters come out and you can dash behind the crates and back out to instigate more fighting. @NieMaMordy said maps 4-6 are even better so I can't wait to play them.  

Release Candidate 3 is out

- Tweaked the difficulty flags for monster to better balance HNTR and HMP for all maps.

- Fixed Enemies incorrectly flagged for difficulties.

- New Enemy Types added for Map 2 and Map 3 for better monster encounter variety.

- Fixed missing textures on Map 2.

Hello there.

I really like the level design and the leverage of OTEX.   I found an issue with RC3 that monsters cannot spawn into the map properly in Map02.  It never happened before; part of them are wandering in the wait-to-spawn section)

I’m running it on GZDoom 4.5. 

54 minutes ago, DoomBunny said:

I found an issue with RC3 that monsters cannot spawn into the map properly in Map02.

Ohh thank you for catching that, It has now been fixed and Uploaded.

As of now, I enjoyed playing through the episode of yours.

Since MAP03 I was using IDDQD due to probably either being tired or playing sloppily.
Or simply not having enough skill :)
But that's on me - I was pistol-starting every level on UV.

In general, I've noticed that levels seem to be fairly low on health.
It's definitely a treat for challenge-seeking players.
It maybe a bit too much for a casual player like myself but that's my first impression.

I have a question or two for you regarding MAP04:

Spoiler

How to trigger the sector with hidden/early plasma?
Even with IDDT I couldn't figure out the way access this secret.
Does the secret even trigger properly?

Played through: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5 (test)

53 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I have a question or two for you regarding MAP04:

Hide contents

How to trigger the sector with hidden/early plasma?
Even with IDDT I couldn't figure out the way access this secret.
Does the secret even trigger properly?

Spoiler

One of the platforms the first group of chaingunners are on has a Light on it, step on that and the Plasma Rifle will be accessible.

Release Candidate 4 Released

- Fixed Secret tagging and activation in Map 02.

- Fixed Misaligned Textures in Map 02 and Map 04.

i first saw some recommendation tweets then I got into the game myself and have had good time with it.  I wonder if it’s been developed as a mega wad as I finished the last text at the end of the game.  
The leverage of OTEX textures, level design, and the atmosphere are pretty good in my eyes.

Map04 - Fataliterror gives me the plutonia-ish vibe and Map05 - Vanguard looks like it’s a hellish fortress. These 2 are my favorite ones in Rapidfire.

Map06 - Cyberage is also an interesting level rolling around in the small maze with 3 THICC Cybies. I had some sweaty actions at first couple attempts then started to enjoy it more.

I was doing the walkthrough with the earlier version RC3.  Rapidfire is short but still fun to play.  

Edited by DoomBunny