Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

SMOOTHED (Smooth monsters for Doom Retro and Crispy Doom)

SMOOTHED: SEdition returns!

SMOOTHED_S.zip

In this video showcase you'll see the perilous chaingunners and bright-handed/blooded Hell Nobles.

You're welcome to take a look at the Nightmare happening at the Not That Simple map: Memento Mori MAP07 :)

Edited by SoDOOManiac : Renamed download to SEdition to match my nickname tweak

@bradharding @VGA I'm noticing a new issue after the latest update, 3.5.8. Smoothed includes a few death animations for monsters and they are normally chosen at random from what I remember correctly, but it seems now that the game always uses one death animation for every monster. Any idea what could be causing this?

Did the RandomJump codepointer stop working properly?

18 hours ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

@bradharding @VGA I'm noticing a new issue after the latest update, 3.5.8. Smoothed includes a few death animations for monsters and they are normally chosen at random from what I remember correctly, but it seems now that the game always uses one death animation for every monster. Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks. I'll look into it. It's probably due to this change.

Sorry for the double post, but I've managed to resolve this issue. It will be fixed in the next point release of DOOM Retro.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:12 PM, Phobos Anomaly said:

Brad just released 3.5.9 which should fix this.

I was contemplating bumping this anyway saying EE can now play it (and also asking to update the OP w/ a link to Black Ops since signatures are dead). This (and Black Ops) are what I used for testing whilst implementing the new stuff. Anyway yeah EE can run this and Black Ops as of the next devbuild.

On 7/11/2020 at 2:47 AM, Altazimuth said:

I was contemplating bumping this anyway saying EE can now play it (and also asking to update the OP w/ a link to Black Ops since signatures are dead). This (and Black Ops) are what I used for testing whilst implementing the new stuff. Anyway yeah EE can run this and Black Ops as of the next devbuild.

I edited the OP to put a link to Black Ops, thanks for working on this.

Hi, I have had this wad in my gzdoom autoload since that port gained full dehextra support back in version 4.6.0

Since deploying the recently released 4.7.0 version, I've started noticing that the rocket launcher blast radius is bigger than usual:

• the player is taking damage despite being well over the expected safe distance
  • in a large room (such as kinsie's test map) explosion decals spreads across almost all walls

I've tested this in a clean gzdoom 4.7.0 setup without loading any other mod.
I'm not facing such issues when using the 4.6.1 release.

I'm lacking the knowledge to correctly determine if this is a bug with gzdoom or the wad coding itself.
Would anyone (@VGA ideally) try to help me in identifying what's going on?

Thank you!

But why would you use this mod with GZDoom instead of Smooth Doom, on which it is based on? This mod is meant for source ports without advanced modding support.

Still, sounds like GZDoom broke something since this mod has been unmodified for years.

I will update my GZDoom soon and test it. Maybe it is conflicting with other mods you have loaded?

I'm using a batch-powered wad launcher of my own making

It gives me the choice to activate Smoothed and/or BlackOps (thank you for them, btw ;) ) on a megawad-basis.

This way I'm always able to play using smooth weapons/monsters, unless a mapset has its own customized arsenal/bestiary.

In the past I've used NightFright's enhancement of Perkristian's weapons, but I've never been able to find a monsters-only version of SmoothDoom which wasn't full of bugs, oversights or questionable choices.

I always liked your vanilla-friendly approach more, so I've jumped boat as soon as gz gained dehextra support.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this!

uh and btw the issue appears even when launching "gzdoom.exe -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file SMOOTHED_v8.WAD" in a clean gz setup

hello again, I'm back! just a simple question this time..

does this wad contain any resource from revenant's sprite fixing project?

in other words, do SMOOTHED take care of all/some of the enhancement present in D1SPFX/D2SPFX ?

Yes, it is a total replacement for the monster sprite animations!

ok so it replaces them AND in doing so it fixes them too, right?

sorry I don't mean to be pedantic.. I just need some clarification and, being non-native english speaking, I'm trying to be as explicit as possible to avoid any confusion

12 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

ok so it replaces them AND in doing so it fixes them too, right?

sorry I don't mean to be pedantic.. I just need some clarification and, being non-native english speaking, I'm trying to be as explicit as possible to avoid any confusion

Yes, the sprites are redone by members of the community. Any original alignment issues or the stray weird brown pixel on the SSG or random transparent pixels are fixed.

19 hours ago, dawidgranie said:

Very nice! Works like a charm. 

these posts are fine on newer threads but the thing is with forums making a reply bumps a post up and since there's been no activity for 3 years you should only really bump this post if you found a bug or something important

if you are referring to the hud seen in the GIF appearing in the opening post, that's DoomRetro built-in fullscreen hud

20 hours ago, liPillON said:

if you are referring to the hud seen in the GIF appearing in the opening post, that's DoomRetro built-in fullscreen hud

What a shame because I want it on gzdoom haha, well, no way, thanks for answering