Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gore

How long do you think Doom will survive untill it's "death"

A long ass time. Just look at how long classic Doom coasted on the release of Doom 3 (which didn't have much lasting power). I can't speak for others, but Doom will be a part of me until the moment I die. Whether that means anything to anyone is up to debate. There are far too many kind souls invested in Classic Doom alone for it to seem to have a predicted future of eternally.

As long as Microsoft doesn't start trying to erase Doom's source code release from history and go Nintendo over all Doom WADs.

Doom itself will never become outdated, only source ports, WADs, PK3s, PK7s, EPKs, and PKEs do.

Fools! You all are doom! Think about it?! You've played it for so long that it has fused with you! It can never die now!

Someday, eventually.

All good things come to an end. Let’s not worry about that and focus on the now.

As long as an interest in gaming and even just software continues, then the interest in formative gaming and software will remain, and Doom along with it.

In my view, the DOOM franchise is not just a series of video games.

It's become a cultural phenomenon and its own subculture. Just like metal and punk.
We'll probably exist underground, usually outside of mainstream.

For how long? No idea. But thanks to mods, megawads and DOOM-tubers
there's been a resurgence of interest in classic DOOM and retro games.

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I remember being really sad in 2001, I'd FINALLY figured out how to make levels, but multiple people were telling me "Doom is about to die, any day now. Another game is just about to take its place."

This is why doom won't die, can it even?  You can buy games on steam that use it as an engine.  It's easy compared to other games while allowing for some amazing work.  I don't even think of some wads as wads.  Intensive projects can often feel like games rather than just a doom map.

With how many people are making maps mods and posts on these forums everyday . I would say its gonna take a while for this community to die

I can imagine only 3 ways for Doom modding to die:

1. Internet breaks down.

Like all of it.

Just a chain reaction of space trash destroying satelites and thus creating more space trash and so on.

2. ID/Bethesda does a REALLY a-hole move.

Like spending way too much resources on trying to eliminate all of modding an go so far to report/murder/ruining lives of people trying to mod their beloved franchise.

3. People simply loose interest

The Doom modding community isn't the biggest thing in the world,

if enough people loose interest, why bother keeping on.

Time is our greatest enemy in the end.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:49 PM, SiFi270 said:

I'd give it until 1997. At that point, the best mappers will probably gather to make a "last hurrah" kind of megawad, then they'll all move on to Quake or something. Then, everything that can be done with the engine has been, and it's not like we're going to get a new one or something.

Denis Moeller, is that you?

If I have kids, I'll raise them on games I love as well as what's popular at the time. I want my kids to be able to appreciate the beauty of a game like Doom. It's not going away. 

DOOM WILL NEVER DIE. ONLY THE PLAYERS WILL.

(But, seriously, Classic Doom will be played like Pac-Man and Super Mario: forever. Long after multiplayer Classic Doom has died and the newer games are abandoned... Doom II will still be played. The wad system is too powerful, and very few gaming communities have Doomworld's stamina)

12 minutes ago, princetontiger said:

DOOM WILL NEVER DIE. ONLY THE PLAYERS WILL.

(But, seriously, Classic Doom will be played like Pac-Man and Super Mario: forever. Long after multiplayer Classic Doom has died and the newer games are abandoned... Doom II will still be played. The wad system is too powerful, and very few gaming communities have Doomworld's stamina)

If I remember correctly doom came out on 1.44 MB disks. Somewhere in a box stuffed way back and long forgotten I have them original disks.

I ordered the game before launch (Called pre-ordered now). Early 90's and the PC I got it for was measured in MHz not GB's and mine was a gateway 166 MHz processor, 4MB of memory and a 40GB hard drive. (And people gripe about slow computers now ?).

I agree with princetontiger only the players will. 

I consider myself a old school gaming collector and I also collect old arcade games to run on my arcade machine I designed and built myself.

I'm showing my kids some cool videogames from the 80s and 90s. Am I going through the entire library? No. I'm going through the classics.

The big thing that I miss is online multiplayer. It hasn't been the same since 2008. The 2002-2008 era was very special, especially ZDaemon. Several awesome folks literally are dead today, but quite a few more left the scene.

People still talk about the Iliad some 3000 years later. I think Doom will be the same way. Even if most people never play it I still feel there will be a large group of people that will know about it and respect its accomplishments.