Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMPhobos

Arceon - Boom compatible mapset (now on idgames!)

I'm really glad to see that you finally released this mapset. It was nice to see how it develops and changes through those couple of years. Keep it up!

*Clapping* Magnificent maps! I'm sure I'll have to mention it in the Cacoward thread because the gameplay and level designs are as smooth as butter. Just one remark, are you sure the vanilla-ish grey statusbar doesn't clash a bit with those awesome dark textures?

I recall watching Jimmy play this a couple months ago and it looked incredible.

Glad to finally be able to try this out for myself! Congrats on the release!

2 hours ago, game said:

Just one remark, are you sure the vanilla-ish grey statusbar doesn't clash a bit with those awesome dark textures?

It's an otex style status bar, i think it goes really well with the concrete texture i used on most of the maps, hence why i added it :)

Thanks everyone, i hope the maps are fun to play

I got a little preview of this and it some of the most compelling use of OTEX for techbases I have ever seen—in very hard competition, I might add. Stunning work and very very highly recommended.

I played through this earlier.  I like that although I got pulled in many different directions since there were so many options, the combat flowed quite well and I never felt like I got terribly lost.  The interconnectivity made it a breeze to get around, the detailing was great and the fights were fun.  Good stuff!

Looks great. Definitely gunna play it this weekend :)

Edit: Just played it. Stunning work! Beautiful architecture, well designed monster encounters and traps, near-perfect use of Otex textures. I really enjoyed playing this. Bravo!

Edited by PeterMoro

Hey!

Just letting everyone know that i've updated the release to RC2, fixing some bugs that managed to slip by during testing along with some small changes based on the feedback i've gotten so far, please use this version instead of the previous one

3 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

Just letting everyone know that i've updated the release to RC2, fixing some bugs that managed to slip by during testing along with some small changes based on the feedback i've gotten so far, please use this version instead of the previous one

Oh you bastard lmao right within the middle of my playthrough where I'm still in the middle of uploading the first half of it to YouTube. Now the question is whether I finish playing RC1 or pistol-start the second half using RC2. Decisions, decisions.

Just played 1st map, gotta say the texture work is immaculate and it was fun progressing through the map,

the incidental combat was really engaging and well designed, thanks to an excellent layout.

Secrets were fair and cool to find, pretty sure im going to enjoy this mapset.

Thought I'd take it for a spin, not meaning to play through the whole thing, but I couldn't stop! I'm not always a fan of maze-like maps, either, but it works here. Enjoyed the hell out of it. It felt really engaging and fun. And it gets better as it goes along.

And I love that plasma gun sound! Would love to use that for my own work.

6 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Oh you bastard lmao right within the middle of my playthrough where I'm still in the middle of uploading the first half of it to YouTube. Now the question is whether I finish playing RC1 or pistol-start the second half using RC2. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for leaving a playthrough!, Maps were balanced for pistol start, but you shouldn't have any problem if you play up until map05 in UV with RC1, map06 forces pistol start and it had some slight tweaks to signal progression a bit better if you want to switch to RC2 just for that map.

23 minutes ago, Bri said:

And I love that plasma gun sound! Would love to use that for my own work.

Feel free to use it if you wish, the sound it's only a combination of Doom 3 and Doom 2016 plasma sounds, so i wouldn't take credit for it either since i all i did was just combine those

Map5 Sector 1085 is somehow a pain sector.

It's funny that I was looking for something having 6 maps and Boom format to play with, and you put up this :P

I'm playing the maps in a random order, so I'll report whatever I saw here.

I was playing around with Woof and Woof doesn't support forced -shorttics during normal play for now, so I may as well record something.

casual map5 max.zip (For RC2)

----

Just finished Map01. I suggest some blocklines around the platform perimeter of Sector 255. I was really unlucky that somehow one of those Imps fell out of bounds and I have no way to kill it.

casual map1 max.zip (For RC2)

Edited by GarrettChan

Played this on HNTR because I was feeling a bit of challenge/intensity grind after playing some other recent stuff and wanted something laid back. Really nice work with this set. Maps 01-04 were perfect, really nice easy-going flow, though if you're aiming for HNTR to feel that way, 05-06 did feel like a little bit of a spike in some spots. I unfortunately missed the new beta, so this feedback is based on RC1, but I'm glad to see you fixed that blue key in map 05 :P

Just finished Map02, probably Sector 1 has wrong flat texture? Because all other "teleporter-like" squares only have one side as a "teleporter" texture.

Also... I think the map needs some serious automap cleaning, especially having the Computer Area Map. (Purple Circle = hide; Green Circle = show)

Spoiler

arceon2-1.png.95527ff1012d0660d769cdc4929489b2.png

Spoiler

arceon2-2.png.70a5e43a03bdf630bd36832119ee75c1.png

19 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Just finished Map01. I suggest some blocklines around the platform perimeter of Sector 255. I was really unlucky that somehow one of those Imps fell out of bounds and I have no way to kill it.

3 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Also... I think the map needs some serious automap cleaning, especially having the Computer Area Map. (Purple Circle = hide; Green Circle = show)

On 10/2/2021 at 10:30 AM, GarrettChan said:

Map5 Sector 1085 is somehow a pain sector.

I'll be fixing those for the next RC, thanks for pointing them out, and thanks for playing the maps!

5 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Played this on HNTR because I was feeling a bit of challenge/intensity grind after playing some other recent stuff and wanted something laid back. Really nice work with this set. Maps 01-04 were perfect, really nice easy-going flow, though if you're aiming for HNTR to feel that way, 05-06 did feel like a little bit of a spike in some spots. I unfortunately missed the new beta, so this feedback is based on RC1, but I'm glad to see you fixed that blue key in map 05 :P

I did a really loud facepalm when i saw that blue key missing on a stream, i couldn't believe i missed such a big detail so i did a really quick update to fix that, im really sorry for such a big mistake, but i hope you enjoyed the set despite of that. Generally i aimed at having a more or less consistent difficulty with some spikes here and there thru all the maps (instead of having a curve going from easy maps to hard maps), the slight difficulty spike at the end was something a bit intentional given this is a short set, but i think it's worth tweaking it a bit further for HMP and HNTR and have less pressure on the player when playing those difficulties so i'll do some small tweaks for those.