Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain POLAND

Episode 4 ending pyramid

This, in the background:

hqdefault.jpg

I always wondered exactly what it was supposed to be. It doesn't look like a structure that belongs on Earth. It is the portal you emerged from, or part of Hell that is appearing on Earth (as a prelude to Doom 2)? Or is it actually a human-built building in the future? Or something else?

i guess these are supposed to be skyscrapers but yeah its weird

when i was younger i though it was some kind of a giant fortress

I always thought them to be skyscrapers, just seen from the bottom up, and with a sort of overly-exaggerated fisheye lens distortion... you know, for dramatic effect...

Surely it'd have to be a city, if the road and street lamps towards the lower-left are anything to go by. Just with some intensive liberties taken in the perspective department.

1 hour ago, Cammy said:

Surely it'd have to be a city, if the road and street lamps towards the lower-left are anything to go by. Just with some intensive liberties taken in the perspective department.

I like it better as a pyramid. I could make a map based on it...

I agree it's supposed to be a city, but I don't really know of any cities that have a hard cut from monolithic skyscrapers to open flat field as far as the eye can see. :P

Edited by Dragonfly

1 hour ago, Cammy said:

This. 100%.

Look at the episode 3 ending screen, after it has scrolled away from the little bunny.

The E4 screen is a lazy edit of that, with the marine from the title screen horizontally flipped and grunged up. The helmet was removed, replaced by a head that's probably too big to fit in said helmet.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

I agree it's supposed to be a city, but I don't really know of any city's that have a hard cut from monolithic skyscrapers to open flat field as far as the eye can see. :P

Some day I'll have to show you some pictures from my China trip ;).

I love these old games in the 80s and 90s (atari, nes) with covers and graphics that had NO BEARING on the actual game play

In other words, we had a large imagination! 

Like Gez said, you get a better look at that landscape in the Episode 3 ending. The intention is that you see the peaceful green fields of home, but then it pans left to show a city in flames as the music turns creepy & dissonant - the escape you found at the end of the episode was actually the invasion portal, and you've returned only to witness hell on earth.

it always looked like the earth spaceport to me.
Spaceport usually are on isolated areas.
And they have streets and roads that go into and out from them

And it kinda makes sense, as Doom II starts on a spaceport :P

It gave me a strange feeling of what is that?? just like that picture after you beat episode 2.  That one i found out on my own after reading the ending text carefully.

But that pyramid thing.. i dont know, never though of it.  Maybe the spider mastermind used it as a thinking area to plot some ideas on attack coordination.  It's huge!

I recognized it as skyscrapers pretty early on as a kid, but I always thought the perspective was extremely weird, like it's seen from an extreme wide angle lens, except Doomguy isn't.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:14 AM, Dragonfly said:

I agree it's supposed to be a city, but I don't really know of any cities that have a hard cut from monolithic skyscrapers to open flat field as far as the eye can see. :P

Yeah, that part is surreal too, just one road, no smaller high rise buildings, no suburbs or industrial areas, no other infrastructure, just a cluster of scrapers in the middle of the world's biggest unforested grassy field.

It's strange and dreamlike.

Fisheye lens style. That was a common way to depict a city in 80-90's cartoons. The buildings are curved like that to fit in and give a sense of height in a single view. Take a look at this pic from TMNT S2E13.

Spoiler

doomtown.png

Looks familiar? The buildings on the left look like they're tilted at 45° while the ground level is drawn in straight line. It does give a haunted look here but could be used for something funky too, like the city terrain in Worms Armageddon.

Spoiler

worms-armageddon-3-1.jpg

I feel those are very different though, the TMNT one plain looks like streets but through a distorting lens, while the Worms one looks like it's cropped from a skyline.

Doom's has a more extreme perspective than either (and I kinda like it), but as I said, it's a single road and a bunch of towers inexplicably without anything else that makes up a city. Would have made more sense if the city was way further away in the horizon, but then you'd also not be able to have that cool perspective/distortion.