Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

36 minutes ago, Captain Ventris said:

I'm probably doing JPCP after Akeldama. We'll see if I burn out on Akeldama first, heh.

What's Akeldama? Also if you need wad suggestions hit me up. So much great stuff out there.

2 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

What's Akeldama? Also if you need wad suggestions hit me up. So much great stuff out there.

Akeldama is Here!

It's pretty good so far, but I'm only a few levels in.

Finished Brotherhood of Ruin and its sequel, The Lost Temple. TLT was really fantastic, the sloped floors made things quite interesting (not that the original wasn't also really cool!)

Tried getting into Abysm 2, and almost immediately bounced off it. The first Abysm was hard enough, as I never learned to play with a mouse, and Abysm disables autoaim, but I managed in the first one. The sequel, though? First level in the sewers, all those rats were such a pain, and I randomly picked the character that starts with the pistol but ran out of ammo almost immediately. Dunno, I might try it again on easy difficulty, but man...

In the meantime, it's time to once again catch up on DBPs (ha!) so I played Spaceballs: The Sequel, which was an absolute blast! Loved the scrolling story at the start, and the credits map at the end :)

Then I started Dead But Dreaming, which was an absolute nightmare on, well... Nightmare. So I dialed it back to "Pleasant Daydream" which was such a godsend! The maps are still amazing (of course) but the opposition is still quite challenging. Very cool.

New to the classics, currentrly playing my first walktrough of doom 1: inferno

I plan to finish it and then play DooM 2, after that ¿who knows? maybe sigil or some community made wads

21 minutes ago, Ivancia said:

I plan to finish it and then play DooM 2, after that ¿who knows? maybe sigil or some community made wads

Awesome, welcome to the community!

30 minutes ago, Ivancia said:

Since you're new I recommend playing and replaying Doom 1 and 2, but also Final Doom. That's two wads, TNT and Plutonia. Getting used to these will allow you to have the skills for a lot of the community made wads.

Firstly, since you mentioned it, I highly recommend Sigil. Really a great 9 map wad. 

Here's some more you might like:

Scythe

Demonfear

Fava Beans (this one's pretty easy, but it's fun and really high quality for when it came out.)

Aliem Vendetta 

Eternal Doom (not Doom Eternal)

More modern ones like Ancient Aliens, Vanguard, THT: Threnody are all great too.

Also check out the 100 best wads list, Cacoawards, and 100 most memorable maps. If you're curious about any of the wads I mentioned, just ask and I can make a little write up.

You know, there is another thread like this, one which contains a decade of stories from players as they try out WADs and report how it's been. But, it's in the "WADs & Mods" subforum, and that is a very busy place. It always makes me sad seeing a new mapmaker step up and submit their first effort to get some constructive feedback, only to have it buried under the pile of activity that goes on there so, sure, I'll jump ship to this thread.

1711655736_OATB1-Small.png.15b8112060fb71e4eecee12a4bc6accb.png

I've been playing Oops! All TechBase, and the first half has convinced me that this is a hidden gem that had the bad luck to release amongst all the other quality 2020 megawads. Nothing super flashy or mind-blowing, but it's full of consistently-solid classic-style gameplay. The highlight so far has been MAP11, "Familiar Fiends." I found it novel to see a Hunted tribute which does the exact opposite of the primitive "wooden beams & stone bricks" aesthetic, while maintaining the gameplay of how those sorcerers are somewhere out there and one-by-one are coming to kill you. It was scary, but concise - it didn't overstay its welcome and never got fatiguing.

The other main memorable moment along the journey has been the method by which you access the secret maps. Rather than make maps 31 & 32 drastically different & hide them away, this megawad just adds them to the linear progression (so you'll be playing 14-15-31-32-16-17...), and the reveal of this structure was certainly antagonistic, but cheeky enough that I ended up enjoying it. See, at the end of MAP15, you're teleported out of the techbase into a fleshy hell dimension to fight a boss monster. Once the demons there are slain and you have a moment to look around, there appears to be no escape and no way forward. Press on all the walls? Nothing. Jump down each of the death-pits just to make sure? Nothing. Noclip over to the niches which held Mancubus snipers? Nothing. In desperation, I started mashing the Use key on everything, and the sprite decoration in the center of the room turned out to be a switch. I would be mad, but the trolling of the intermission text was too funny to hold a grudge over.

Spoiler

1041298129_OATBIntermission.png.592ddbdbb04e918ee8c18d40bec2852e.png

I've only been playing my wads, esp Zone 400 (particularly MAP26 and MAP32) and my now almost complete UD megawad (only 3 maps from all 4 episodes complete)

I finally and reluctantly gave Speed of Doom a chance, and the fact that I'm currently playing only one megawad means that I'm having a great time.

Unfortunately there is one thing that annoys me more than pop-up enemies, and that's the music. Some music choices are debatable, some are objectively atrocious (cough map18 cough). So I'm playing it with PSX DOOM OST instead.

It's not Alien Vendetta tier, but some of the later maps give me similar vibes (got to map27) for my happiness.

I'm really glad I didn't skip this WAD, in the end.

Stardate saga is next

Nothing because I haven’t played doom in months, however I think I had to finish ALT or something like that and Eviternity, I think I was doing those two and then stopped playing, also some of the WADs that @Dubbag headed, on ALT I only played the first map 

Finished Down the Drain yesterday, had a blast with it.

Slowly making my way through Abandon (currently on map 8 or 9) and demo of In the Doghouse (a wip wad by Arbys550, currently at map 7)

Started playing Haste and want to eventually continue my playthrough of Death in Excess (I stopped at map 10) 

Im replaying alien vendetta but with -pistolstart, the maps are really well made for pistol starting except MAP23.

Unholy Realms because of the music track on level 30.  Listen to it with Fluidsynth.. you will see what im talking about.  I come back to ULTIMATE DOOM & DOOM II alot so I don't forget the levels from beginning to end.  I tried to memorize FINAL DOOM (TNT & PLUTONIA) but it just never worked... its really a damn shame.  Least I beat it though.

Icarus Vangaurd is a good one too.  I actually did beat some levels on it.  Map 19 is nice.

I tried SPEED OF DOOM and that was the hardest mod I ever played.  Didn't beat ANY levels on it with my blue ps2 pad LOL  Like the music on map 27, realllyy good.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

On 10/1/2021 at 3:07 PM, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Scythe

Demonfear

Fava Beans (this one's pretty easy, but it's fun and really high quality for when it came out.)

Aliem Vendetta 

I have some words

Start with Fava Beans, it's really good for the time.

I don't know anything about DeamonFear but Scythe probably isn't the best intro wad, at least without disclaimers.

Alien Vendetta is fairly hard and is something to play later on.\

Eternal doom has a lot of dead air from what I have heard.

On 10/1/2021 at 4:07 PM, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Since you're new I recommend playing and replaying Doom 1 and 2, but also Final Doom. That's two wads, TNT and Plutonia. Getting used to these will allow you to have the skills for a lot of the community made wads.

Firstly, since you mentioned it, I highly recommend Sigil. Really a great 9 map wad. 

Here's some more you might like:

Scythe

Demonfear

Aliem Vendetta 

More modern ones like Ancient Aliens, Vanguard, THT: Threnody are all great too.

Also check out the 100 best wads list, Cacoawards, and 100 most memorable maps. If you're curious about any of the wads I mentioned, just ask and I can make a little write up.

Thanks! Eventually i´ll try them

about Final Doom... What´s the deal with TNT? I´ve seen some hate or people saying is boring

11 minutes ago, Ivancia said:

about Final Doom... What´s the deal with TNT? I´ve seen some hate or people saying is boring

It’s divisive for sure. Some people like it (I’m one of those people), some people can’t stand it. It does have its share of duds and it’s definitely the most uneven IWad, but it’s got its charm.

I reached this level in Eternal Doom:

I've been able to get this far without too much trouble, only Jim Flynn has been the one who made me cave in and look up a video for MAP31, but this is disgustingly awful. I'm kinda blown away. It's like they didn't want you to play any more of the damn PWAD by making something so inaccessible so early on, it's been 30 minutes of fucking absolutely nothing in terms of forward progression and this poor dude was on it for an hour and a half? Fuck, by far the worst map in Eternal Doom.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:53 PM, head_cannon said:

You know, there is another thread like this, one which contains a decade of stories from players as they try out WADs and report how it's been. But, it's in the "WADs & Mods" subforum, and that is a very busy place. It always makes me sad seeing a new mapmaker step up and submit their first effort to get some constructive feedback, only to have it buried under the pile of activity that goes on there so, sure, I'll jump ship to this thread.

Merged since these are basically identical, and the activity didn't overlap except for one post. That thread is also now here.

Also on the note in your last two sentences (this is not meant to be a derail, so I'll remove any posts replying to it):

The admins are planning to split W&M, but until that happens, it's a really good idea to avoid starting any threads in W&M unless they: 

- are related to a project -- they have something to download or will theoretically have something to download (examples are WIPs and in-dev projects/games or speedmap events or community project recruiting)

- are one of a number of serialized threads like the DWMC, Ironman, /idgames random activities 

Stuff like "what is this bug in this wad I'm playing?" or "what is your favorite format to map in?" or "I played Plutonia map17 and thought it was cool" or "help me edit this mod" goes in Doom General or sometimes another forum like Doom Editing. I move 10-20 of those a week, but a few usually sit there for a while when someone is not on to notice them. Recommendation threads -- "what are some cool wads with toilets?" -- should be started in Doom General too.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:13 PM, Ivancia said:

TNT focuses more on atmosphere and sense of place than big aggressive combat puzzles. SO some find it less engaging. Also some maps, particularly from Map22 - Map 25 are pretty bad. Very few defend them. Either way, I like it, the new music is great, and a lot of the levels are really fun. Satisfying and low impact.

@rd. TY I could never find this thread most of the time because of it being in WADs & Mods. Anyway I reached MAP21 of Eternal Doom, I'm not looking forward to Excalibur down the line, or whatever fucked up puzzle stumped me on No Parking I think it was, besides a couple videos to assist me on levels 31 and 20 I have had a legitimate run of this PWAD. It was mostly legitimate back in 2009 until I lost my nerve and started noclipping trouble spots in later levels, notably the final level at that. I honestly have no idea how I didn't cheat on MAP20, that was BAD and is everything people must think of when it comes to Eternal Doom maps being overly long to finish and far too cryptic, involving a lot of thinking outside the box, cause honestly most of the levels aren't really like that at all or are at least not that extreme. It's a very atmospheric PWAD that deserves to be alongside the 90's greats and even worth revisiting today, but goddamn there are some real stinkers courtesy of a couple overzealous authors...

On 10/1/2021 at 6:20 AM, Salt-Man Z said:

and I randomly picked the character that starts with the pistol but ran out of ammo almost immediately. 

You need to make sure to craft Ammo regularly (the game tells you to bind ammo crafting almost immediately at the start). Enemies are very generous with Iron Shards.

Also Abysm series really requires mouse to be played optimally. It's not suppose to be played like Classic Doom, the rats are extremely easy to kill in one shot.

Edited by jazzmaster9

Holy shit where the fuck did I go wrong? This isn't open like it is in the video. I'm blown away. Am I gonna have to noclip to finish this monstrocity?

E: You have to walk into a web and use it. Wow, disgusting.

Edited by Lila Feuer

On 10/2/2021 at 12:53 PM, head_cannon said:

1711655736_OATB1-Small.png.15b8112060fb71e4eecee12a4bc6accb.png

I've been playing Oops! All TechBase, and the first half has convinced me that this is a hidden gem that had the bad luck to release amongst all the other quality 2020 megawads. Nothing super flashy or mind-blowing, but it's full of consistently-solid classic-style gameplay. The highlight so far has been MAP11, "Familiar Fiends." I found it novel to see a Hunted tribute which does the exact opposite of the primitive "wooden beams & stone bricks" aesthetic, while maintaining the gameplay of how those sorcerers are somewhere out there and one-by-one are coming to kill you. It was scary, but concise - it didn't overstay its welcome and never got fatiguing.

The other main memorable moment along the journey has been the method by which you access the secret maps. Rather than make maps 31 & 32 drastically different & hide them away, this megawad just adds them to the linear progression (so you'll be playing 14-15-31-32-16-17...), and the reveal of this structure was certainly antagonistic, but cheeky enough that I ended up enjoying it. See, at the end of MAP15, you're teleported out of the techbase into a fleshy hell dimension to fight a boss monster. Once the demons there are slain and you have a moment to look around, there appears to be no escape and no way forward. Press on all the walls? Nothing. Jump down each of the death-pits just to make sure? Nothing. Noclip over to the niches which held Mancubus snipers? Nothing. In desperation, I started mashing the Use key on everything, and the sprite decoration in the center of the room turned out to be a switch. I would be mad, but the trolling of the intermission text was too funny to hold a grudge over.

Hide contents

1041298129_OATBIntermission.png.592ddbdbb04e918ee8c18d40bec2852e.png

It was a great project to be apart of and glad you're enjoying it :).