Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hervoheebo

The Long Trek Back Home [Doom2 vanilla megawad] 1.1 released

I'm loving the amount of megawads that have come out of the blue (but also the ones that have been developed in the open too) in recent years. It only seems to be picking up in frequency. What a time to be alive

Looking forward to playing through this!

Damn, this is a super cool concept, very original! A lot of levels that I'm keen to see how they've been given this "trek home" treatment, curious to see what you've cooked up with the secret levels too! 

Screenies look dope, got that classic id / 90s clean aesthetic. I'm keen as to give this a go when it finally drops! :)

I was looking at rejects and doomworld.com/idgames but realized it's in newstuff already, so you can get it from there, the link is in the OP.

And I thought that the concept of rehashing individual levels and "remakes" in general was old news, but maybe I wasn't too late after all =) This is actually the oldest project/concept I have with definite beginnings in 2007 or something with just the icon of sin beginning, but the finished product was later made from scratch, starting during SWake's production around 2018.

There was an interesting concept brought up in that level voting thread back then which "Containment Area" won: the idea of a map as a place, or as a level. The doom2 maps are very abstract and the city maps in particular draw much criticism from some people (not me!) for barely resembling anything real. But since the game is so old by now and people like myself are VERY familiar with the maps, they start to become definite places of their own whose walls and floors you can practically touch. So in one sense the treatment of these areas are very literal, with some distinctly not-id devices like intentionally irregular shapes and texturing to convey a feeling of destruction, or bits of key card frames poking up from somewhere that serve as a metatextual reference, instead of a reliable gameplay device that tells you visually what you need to find to use the particular door or switch. So this is what I think some people will disagree with, but I also think there's enough space on the internet to have different interpretations. If there is someone who wants to do or is already doing something similar, then by all means do it, even the same concept done by the same person can have vastly different outcomes. 

With that said I did also try hard to think beyond the plain aesthetics and individual mechanisms to grasp the overall spirit of the levels and then do something similar or spin it into something very different yet appropriate. I think you'll find the secret levels to be pretty peculiar ;)

I think you should fix the download link: replace ftp://... with http://...

Add the longtrek.deh to the longtrek.wad and rename it 'DEHACKED.' I think just about every port imagineable supports embedded dehacked lumps.

6 hours ago, Rudolph said:
  Hide contents

How do I get the Megasphere in MAP04?

Spoiler

The door near the rocket launcher opens automatically after 5 minutes, then closes forever if you don't get in. This is like the reverse of the respective secret in the original where the door closes after 30 seconds; the arrow in the brown dirt pointing to the area is now a "V", as in 5 minutes

5 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Add the longtrek.deh to the longtrek.wad and rename it 'DEHACKED.' I think just about every port imagineable supports embedded dehacked lumps.

That's what I ended up doing with TJ, but I think I prefer this oldskool way since it's a vanilla wad, and if someone wants to actually patch their doom2.exe it's a little easier for them ;) unless dehacked actually supports taking the lump from the wad...

In 2021 that's a really pointless endeavour since embeded deh files are a quality-of-life improvement. It won't break vanilla compatibility and 99% of all players who use any port other than vanilla will be able to run the wad without having to jump through the hoop of command lines. You can include the deh file in the .zip for vanilla users as well.

It's working for me at least, unfortunately nothing more I can say really...

And I really forgot to mention it in the text file, but another vanilla limitation to look for is the save file size. I know for a fact that some levels will crash the game in vanilla if you load the game, but I'll test for a full list later. Or just play every map with pistol start and no saving ;)

I will take feedback posted here into consideration if there will be an updated version.

3 minutes ago, Mad Butcher said:

Thanks for that, I added them to the OP.

I saw this new-fangled thing: https://www.doomworld.com/files , is that the place to be nowadays, eventually totally replacing https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/ ? Doesn't look like new files have any reviews there.

Played the first three levels on my lunch break, and I'm totally sold on this! Great concept and some clever touches to make backtracking through the "destroyed" IWAD levels fresh, fun, and interesting.

I see it now on the old /idgames site, not on the new downloads page, so I have added the link ot the OP. https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/longtrek

On 10/6/2021 at 10:15 PM, Rudolph said:

In MAP09, the exit teleporter is not properly indicated on the automap.

I'm not sure if I understand, should it be indicated differently? It might be because the exit is on 2 separate lines inside the 'portal' to make it feel like you have to go a bit deeper to get sucked in.

Some errata:

Confirmed vanilla savegame crashes
-MAP08
-MAP18
-MAP20
-MAP21
-MAP30

Since the amount of things changes during play (projectiles, dropped clips...) the real number of levels may be higher. It's not entirely right to call it 100% vanilla-compatible if saving the game can crash, but then, vanilla itself is not vanilla compatible because some levels in Doom2 produce the same problem ;)
Also, maps 25 and 30 have a monster spawner which is liable to crash the game or malfunction in vanilla when loading.

Stuck spots
I was informed of a couple of spots where you can get stuck:
-MAP02: south of sector 89 (near a stair switch) https://i.imgur.com/HwIecuf.png
-MAP13: north of sector 37 (by the blue room teleporter) https://i.imgur.com/sFgA1H8.png

Updated version?
The stuck spots have been fixed in the current, unreleased new version. The changes so far:

MAP02
-Geometry altered south of sector 89 (one of the stair switches). It was possible to jump down here and become stuck.

MAP09
-Sector 492 missing texture added

MAP13
-New secret area immediately north of sector 37 (teleporter in blue room). It was possible to jump north into the corner from the teleporter and become stuck.

MAP19
Stairs added inside the beginning building (sectors 456 & 457) that allow you to return to the earlier area from the lobby

MAP25
-Texture alignment on symbol wall (line 694 - 755)

The changes are not too significant yet, mostly. On the other hand, being able to become stuck is pretty bad and I don't think there are any demos to desync yet, aside from the title ones.
You are welcome to point out any bugs or other things, and we will see if there's enough changes to warrant an update.

You didn't add your dehacked file to inside the actual wad. Even Freedoom does that to make it work properly. Not saying thats a bad thing but that will cause problems for likes of non ZDOOM family ports that don't load archive files.

It also works on Odamex source port too.

The only level I had heck with for being too quizical was The Living End. The rest is are pretty OKAY for navigating.

Edited by kalensar

On 11/18/2021 at 10:20 PM, kalensar said:

You didn't add your dehacked file to inside the actual wad. Even Freedoom does that to make it work properly. Not saying thats a bad thing but that will cause problems for likes of non ZDOOM family ports that don't load archive files.

It also works on Odamex source port too.

The only level I had heck with for being too quizical was The Living End. The rest is are pretty OKAY for navigating.

Not sure what meant by archive files... maybe like putting the stuff into a zip, the deh is a loose file loaded simultaneously with the wad. Maybe you can load it as an archive too but that's how it's meant... since for vanilla you need to have the deh as separate so you can point dehacked to it and patch the exe. If it's only in the wad, you would need to extract it first with an editor and that would feel something like bad faith vanilla support, so maybe I will try having a dehacked lump in the wad and a separate .deh too. Then it's a matter of clarifying it in the text file, don't know if people read those...

The challenge with map02 is to communicate what the stair switches do. The placement could be better, so you could see the stair rise with both ones. Also slow stairs would stay moving for longer, giving you more time to see and hear them, but they are only 8 units tall. Then you'd have to have twice the stair sectors for the same height gained which is a problem with visplanes in an open level like this. The many CVP (Counter-Visplane Pillars) also impede visibility and make it harder to see the stairs area. This level is particularly literal so the way to the stairs is by teleporters in the blood, like the original, so hopefully the player'll make the connection. The candles near them were a late addition to make them easier to see.

For now there are the following changes:

-The stairs area is brightness 144 instead of 112, so it's brighter than the main room rather than darker, making it easier to see

-The stair switches use the SKIN texture to make them look more distinctive and important

-The areas related to the stairs and its switches have uniformly green torches which aren't used elsewhere in the level

15 minutes ago, hervoheebo said:

Not sure what meant by archive files... maybe like putting the stuff into a zip, the deh is a loose file loaded simultaneously with the wad. Maybe you can load it as an archive too but that's how it's meant... since for vanilla you need to have the deh as separate so you can point dehacked to it and patch the exe. If it's only in the wad, you would need to extract it first with an editor and that would feel something like bad faith vanilla support, so maybe I will try having a dehacked lump in the wad and a separate .deh too. Then it's a matter of clarifying it in the text file, don't know if people read those...

On your .DEH your basically right in the way you do it, The thing is that ZDoom family can read all contents in the WAD file itself, so stuffing an extra DEHACKed inside works just fine. In fact thats how Freedoom does it. 

Archive files are zip files. Pk3 are a Zip file so its common to just load zips into Zdoom family, like GZD especially. But if your DEH is outside of the WAD file, and I only load the WAD without the DEH, then ZDoom will not load the DEH info because it isn't in there. So in Long Trek Home case I get the normal Doom2 map order name rather the intended reversal that Long Trek Home does via the DEH. 

You literally lose nothing by stuffing an extra DEH copy inside the actual WAD itself.