Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MidnightMage

Angry Quilt 2 - for Ultimate Doom (Development Thread)

39 minutes ago, SynDoom said:

I've genuinely never seen that error myself or secondhand. I could only guess GZdoom is trying to start the map in multiplayer but I wouldn't know how to fix it if so.

Thanks for resolving that worriedidiot, I've never seen anything like that warning before.

Here's hoping that's it for game killing bugs moving forward lol.

so looked at my square and since it is doom2 format, doom2 textures only and so on, then I think I wont be able to make the doors require keys in a way that wont be ... odd... somehow... so I am not doing that... But I can add some additional monsters that are more fitting opponents for a BFG weilding doom marine

I bring bad news.

From what I understand I can only make my square for two days.

I've had so much work in the last two days that I've only had a little bit less than an hour of free time to make my square. It's VERY unfinished.

I'm so sorry, guys. I hope I didn't ruin the map.

EDIT: @Weird Sandwich Your turn! Good luck!

Here it is:

AngryQuilt2v12.rar

Edited by Worriedidiot

No worries, thanks for posting what you have. Once the rest of the squares are completed this will go through another round of fixups and bug fixes.

So you can do any necessary changes then.

AngryQuilt2v14.zip

After some frustration of teleportation tag not working (it still does now), I finally get this thing done. The square was originally just your typical GSTONE1 hell, now it's become your typical ROCKRED hell. The map used teleportation as an exit and entrance (which was a mistake), so because of that I added an "intermisson" or "three portals" or whatever you wanna call it outside of the boundry. I was going to modified square 13 to make portal, but then I'm rage quit from the map editor because teleport tag are doesn't work, so I reverted it, sorry if I messed up your map @Weird Sandwich! So if you wanna make an entrance to my square, please use teleportation. (sOrRy bAd enGlisH)

The intermission I was talking about:

Screenshot_1.png.3ca2d6f2a01227320e11885f1ca6157a.png

(the teleport in the top goes to square 10, the right goes to 15, and the left are of course, goes to 13. Oh, and these portals doesn't have any tag yet)

Please teleport player here (in the Icon of Sin floor) if you wanna take player to square 14

Screenshot_3.png.f0b38ba1e61562f2c428b58f6dd2dd92.png

WAD INFO:

Difficulty Settings: Kind of? I mean I'm just randomly ticking boxes on monster "thing"

Base: New from scratch.

Build Time: 2 days (that's include the rage quit I mention above, and the amount of time I play TF2 after ragequit I rest after that)

Editor(s) used: Ultimate Doom Builder

Known Bugs: Some monsters may stuck on doors (vanilla doom behavior I think?), but this is very rare to happen or even not existed if you play on a source port that fixed this bug.

May Not Run With: My square can run in Chocolate Doom, but the whole WAD is another story.

Tested With: Chocolate Doom, Eternity Engine, Doom Retro, LZDoom

Edited by lokbustam257 : Reason for edit

So I just tried the latest version, it appears section 13,14 are not reachable from the map, unless I missed something. When it comes to bugfixing we will need to address this by either adding a door to 14 or teleport to square 14 from another square I guess.

Square 13 connects to the square above it but doesn't contain a door to 14 so perhaps adding a door there might not be a bad idea because currently the room with the yellow key switch cannot be accessed. 

Seems like the yellow key should somehow be implemented to exit as you will have to fight both a cyberdemon and mastermind by this point to get to it.

All in all this has really shaped up to a pretty interesting map so far with a wild amount of variety considering it's only using stock Doom resources. 

I did leave 2 locations for doors to go into square 14, but neither was used. Also, I'd suggest adding a shortcut somewhere along the path between squares 9 and 13 after the yellow key is lowered, since at the moment it looks like there'll be a lot of backtracking required.

Agreed. In the the bugfixing a door to square 14 or both should be used.

Also the shortcut between 9 & 13 would make gameplay a heck of a lot smoother and require much less backtracking.

@CBM you're up.

@Walter confetti you're on deck.

1 hour ago, MidnightMage said:

Agreed. In the the bugfixing a door to square 14 or both should be used.

I guess the blood river is becoming a door now

I don't know how you want it to connect but it has to connect to at least another square on the map. Add a lift, stairs, a door or some other way of accessing your square from the other existing squares. I couldn't access it from any point when giving this recent build a playthrough. Part of the rules is that the squares interconnect somehow with neighboring squares.

I'm ok if you're spot is only accessible via teleport but you do require to connect to square 13 somehow because it is completely blocked off by your square and at least one other square as an access point to your square. I did see a weird teleport sector outside of the map bounds, was this your intent?

its part of the challenge

my fort of flesh is also getting a slight makeover now since the entrance to the square became different than what I anticipated

but I am working on getting my square ready and making sure its testet

@CBM can you make an access point to square 14? At least that way there is access point to 14. We will have to figure out exactly how 13 is accessible but I'm thinking it will be reachable from that outside the game area teleport spot.

11 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

I'm ok if you're spot is only accessible via teleport but you do require to connect to square 13 somehow because it is completely blocked off by your square and at least one other square as an access point to your square. I did see a weird teleport sector outside of the map bounds, was this your intent?

If needed, I could remove the Red Keycard that I placed in my map, and have the raised platform that it was on be a teleporter that takes the player @lokbustam257's square. Just thinking out loud here: let me know if this idea has any merit.

36 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

@CBM can you make an access point to square 14? At least that way there is access point to 14. We will have to figure out exactly how 13 is accessible but I'm thinking it will be reachable from that outside the game area teleport spot.

sure no problem

done...

download link:

AngryQuilt2v15.rar

Edited by CBM

Great! Thanks!

43 minutes ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

If needed, I could remove the Red Keycard that I placed in my map, and have the raised platform that it was on be a teleporter that takes the player @lokbustam257's square. Just thinking out loud here: let me know if this idea has any merit.

One square currently uses a red key door so I'd like to request the red key remains somewhere in your square but this teleporter on the raised platform would resolve a lot of issues. That would make the existing layout much easier to work with.

@Walter confetti you're up.

if the player can only teleport to square 13, then how does the player exit square 13 again?

Add a lift, stairs, a door or some other way of accessing your square from the other existing squares.

Because you recently mentioned "lift", I had an idea that Square 14 is an underground ROCKRED hell? does this sounds good? Anyone?

Edited by lokbustam257

I did see a weird teleport sector outside of the map bounds, was this your intent?

yes it does, check my previous post (the one where I post the map in there)

Some ideas to make square 14 accessible:

-Remove the bloodfalls and replace it with doors

-Going Down (no pun intended) with lift from another square(s)

^

ok I see. In bugfixing we will have to add proper tags to connect these varied areas and change accordingly.

12 minutes ago, CBM said:

if the player can only teleport to square 13, then how does the player exit square 13 again?

I think there are 2 solutions here. 1 is that there is a teleporter added in square 13 which exits to another location, the second is that there is an opening where the player can jump down to the lower area.

11 minutes ago, lokbustam257 said:

Because you recently mentioned "lift", I had an idea that Square 14 is an underground ROCKRED hell? does this sounds good? 

I think a physical lift to your square would be a good idea for continuity. I like the idea of the underground rockred hell. 

As for replacing the bloodfalls with doors, it would be possible to add a doorway but have bloodfalls pouring down along either side of the door which form the river. Just an idea.

32 minutes ago, lokbustam257 said:

Because you recently mentioned "lift", I had an idea that Square 14 is an underground ROCKRED hell

Spoiler

Actually, for now my part is set in a ROCKRED cave!

Anyway, next time I'll get to my PC i complete my part. More spoilered part showing the part i did so far yesterday:

Spoiler

Immagine_2021-10-02_012919.png

5 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

Also the shortcut between 9 & 13 would make gameplay a heck of a lot smoother and require much less backtracking.

Yeah, I suspected I might have to do that. Also I'll probably need to tweak the trap a bit since it seems the player will be fully kitted up by that time!

Since we are talking about fixes: Square 5 is unbeatable on Crispy Doom, due to an unknown switch action. I think the author made it on UDMF by accident, so the switch need to be changed to something valid.

Edited by Noiser

19 minutes ago, Noiser said:

Since we are talking about fixes: Square 5 is unbeatable on Crispy Doom, due to an unknown switch action. I think the author made it on UDMF by accident, so the switch need to be changed to something valid.

I think it's boom, generalized action. Also textures won't scroll, because original doom only scrolled them left.